Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

More Unique Abilities | Intrepid Please

https://youtu.be/59ih84Xh5E8?t=2m4s

We know it, You know it, I know it ... we have this type of Meteor-Ability before 

Intrepid ... please introduced new abilities  just like what you showcased in 2017 LiveStreams Pre PAX West 2017 ... there's a great quality in that type Creativity that the MMO Genre needs ... and SOO much more

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Battle Royale mode is fun as hell just as a standalone experience. Wait till you play it for yourself before asking for changes. Videos do not do the experience justice. There are 24 unique abilities in just the stress test alone.
  • okie : 3
  • If i remember correctly i read somewhere that the mode currently in test for combat was very limited on the skills as it's just to test how combat is working as it's just 3 skills and it's based on the weapon you grab up. so i'd not worry i am sure more skills will be in place.
  • Too many abilities can result in too much information being presented to the player at once and cause them to quit.
  • @Seaber Too little and it'll cause the game to get stale & boring - causing players to quit
  • Eragale said:
    @Seaber Too little and it'll cause the game to get stale & boring - causing players to quit
    Well obviously.
    Ideally, there will be as many viable, fun to use and fun to have used against you skills as possible and no useless ones. But players should not have access to many to start with and should be drip fed them as they progress.
  • Seaber said:
    Eragale said:
    @Seaber Too little and it'll cause the game to get stale & boring - causing players to quit
    Well obviously.
    Ideally, there will be as many viable, fun to use and fun to have used against you skills as possible and no useless ones. But players should not have access to many to start with and should be drip fed them as they progress.
    I agree that players should get abilities in small doses when they progress. That makes it easier for players to understand each skills right use and purpose.
  • Just make them usable in different ways, if every time a mage will get a projectile-type spell I would go crazy.
  • I would say just wait for it. Honestly, we are SO early into combat design just getting started on testing the domain of action combat that it would be pretty tough to me for anyone to have too heavy of an opinion at this time. 

I definitely think making note of your concerns is important though. I also want to see the aspects of combat design truly remain as innovative as possible while staying true to the heart of the MMORPG genre.

• @Seaber @Maketsu1997

Although Ashes of Creation is bringing a lot of revolutionary new and old ideas back to the MMO genre, I wouldn't exactly say that gaining abilities as you level is one of them... I think that's just kinda standard practice for an MMO :sweat_smile:

@AutumnLeaf

From what we've been shown, there are several abilities that should get you fired up (pun intended bcuz mage xd). For instance, that wall-creating ability that they showed was definitely a unique addition that I'm sure people are going to love. Now they just need to find a way to prevent players from trolling with it : p

• Sikuba said:
    For instance, that wall-creating ability that they showed was definitely a unique addition that I'm sure people are going to love. 
    Wall-creating ability in Archeage
    https://youtu.be/g_Ivh48lVMc?t=230
  • Sikuba said:
    @Seaber @Maketsu1997

Although Ashes of Creation is bringing a lot of revolutionary new and old ideas back to the MMO genre, I wouldn't exactly say that gaining abilities as you level is one of them... I think that's just kinda standard practice for an MMO :sweat_smile:

@AutumnLeaf

From what we've been shown, there are several abilities that should get you fired up (pun intended bcuz mage xd). For instance, that wall-creating ability that they showed was definitely a unique addition that I'm sure people are going to love. Now they just need to find a way to prevent players from trolling with it : p

If it's the same one that was in the stress test then we good ;3
  • Eragale said:
    I kinda feel like if you quit before the game is even finished being made, that's on you.
  • Seaber said:
    Too many abilities can result in too much information being presented to the player at once and cause them to quit.
    I won't be playing if I'm stuck with too few abilities.  I want options dozens of abilities each with their own way benefit and when they should be used.  If we get stuck with a game that is like GW2 or Wildstar with 5-8 abilities it will die a slow death.  Old school players want lots of abilities, tons of customization, with a dozen hotbars.  You can always choose to play with less.  
  • misg said:
    Seaber said:
    Too many abilities can result in too much information being presented to the player at once and cause them to quit.
    I won't be playing if I'm stuck with too few abilities.  I want options dozens of abilities each with their own way benefit and when they should be used.  If we get stuck with a game that is like GW2 or Wildstar with 5-8 abilities it will die a slow death.  Old school players want lots of abilities, tons of customization, with a dozen hotbars.  You can always choose to play with less.  
    I agree with you I like having a lot of situational abilities as it allows for more skillful gameplay. Most games coming out feel more like mobas with only a few action buttons which to me is boring. I also hate the "twitch" gameplay as I've always been more partial to slower more rewarding combat. I know I'm not going to have the action bars I'm looking for in ashes but I bought in ages ago because I can over look the lack of situational abilities and get used to a simpler UI. 

Q, E, Z, X, C, R 1-6 ALT+1-6 CNTL1-6, mouse 1-10 and alt mouse 1-10

Easy, readily accessable without hand movement 40+ keybinds. Granted that's a lot of abilities that require the devs to design, test, and balance so I know why a lot of devs shy away from it. 
  • misg said:
    Seaber said:
    I agree.

Ideally, there will be as many viable, fun to use and fun to have used against you skills as possible and no useless ones.
  • Then it looks like you won't be playing. They have said that people will have access to around 30-40 active skills (not passives). Those skills will be placed on a hotbar that has 8-10 slots. You won't be able to respec "on-the-fly," but instead will have to make a choice what skills to populate your bar before heading out for that sessions activities. Gone are the days of every class having every function.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Argentdawn said:
    " ... Most games coming out feel more like mobas with only a few action buttons which to me is boring ... "
    F!cking golden , spot-on

Argentdawn said:
    " ...  I also hate the "twitch" gameplay as I've always been more partial to slower more rewarding combat ... "
    Exactly, the default pacing of combat can favor " Mid-slow Pacing  "... as opposed to ... " Mid-fast  pacing "

1. Mid-slow pacing = Medium Pace but slightly slower   
    2. Mid-fast pacing = Medium pace but slightly faster
    Definitely favor the 1st option because .. well look at Original EQ & Pantheon - slowest combat , yet those whose played still love it & still challenging

Mid-Fast Pacing only (kinda) works .. if the NPC opponent can fight at the SAME pacing as the player - otherwise it'll be another BDO with dumb A.I. never-ever being able to hit the Player - i really hate mind-numbingly boring PvE
    • especially since having PvE that provided NO challenge is on of the things that killed BDO in the 1st place

BESIDES ... combat can always be sped-up based on Individual Progression 
    ( which will be "slow-horizontal progression" )

Having things slowed-down makes combat more savoring  ... not as slow as Original EQ and/or Pantheon  ... but still having vibes that resemble it