Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

True Darkness: Optional

I'm watching the twitch stream right now and what stood out was they said it was Night... I was 100% sure it was day and overcast.

I'm one of those people who modded Fallout 4 with True Nights. I'd like the option where if I travel at night I "need" a torch. Going into a cave that has no glowing plants and I have no light, pitch darkness.

Just a console option, I know darkness isn't for all, so I can wait the night out and when the sun rises the flood of sunlight across the terrian is dynamic and stands out.

Comments

• Very interesting topic.
    BDO was the first mmorpg in which I experienced true darkness. I find:
    Open world total darkness without a torch is annoying.
    Dungeons in which there were candles on the walls were cool.
    Natural caves, forests were amazing in total darkness and I loved the use of a torch.

I dont thing that in the open it should be dark except for a few special nights during the week. (Appropriate weather).

I think a torch should only be used for unninhibited caves and forests.

I would like ashes to implement if possible this feature:
    Instead of lanterns on a belt that light a massive area around the character I would prefer if mages could use a flame orb or a bright magic(harry potter gandalf), and if warriors could wrap some cloth on fire on: left hand sword, axe, mace.  Cloth on sword if sword shield. Torch for two handed weapons and join the torch together with the two hand weapon during combat.

• New!

Offhand Weapon: Torch - Burning damage
  • I'm ok with total darkness.   
    I'm ok without total darkness.
    I'm ok with torches.
    I'm ok with no torches.

What I'm not ok with it is being done cheesy.   
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    Instead of a torch for magic classes it would be good to have like a light sphere, it can be a basic spell that comes with magic/cleric classes.

I haven't had any experience with total darkness but it should prove interesting.

@eddit:
    Looks like they  already have something similar second 53.
    https://youtu.be/6iNpeHv7l1Y
  • Here are some of my ideas for lightobjects per class
    Tank: Glowing shield
    Mage: Light magic/ball
    Ranger: A torch or arrows that glow when shot through the darkness
    Summoner: Summoning fire creatures
    Bard: Playing light music
    Cleric: An aura of light
    Fighter: Glowing sword
    Rogue: Being able to see better in the dark

Generally I would really like to see darker nights, but also variations in darkness in correlation to different zones
  • Make it at least look night when it's dark...
  • Kalsted said:
    Instead of a torch for magic classes it would be good to have like a light sphere, it can be a basic spell that comes with magic/cleric classes.

I haven't had any experience with total darkness but it should prove interesting.

@eddit:
    Looks like they  already have something similar second 53.
    https://youtu.be/6iNpeHv7l1Y
    I cannot believe I forgot that...
    Yes, this is what I mean. Dark where there is no light, light where light shines from glowing plants, moss, breaks to the outside. Make sure to keep track of the time of day and weather outside. Be awesome to have a beak in the cave have water flowing in because it's raining up above.
  • Dont really mind, I think an option to turn it on for anyone who want's it would be alright.
  • Just give some races night sight and boom problem solved 
  • I just wanted to add that i think that they were mistaken in the Livestream. I think it was actually dusk/dawn. When Steven turned around on the Bridge you could see a bright light on the horizon. Probably the sun going up/down but covered mostly by clouds due to the rain weather. This would explain why the "night" was so bright.

This can be seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLRG5D9CKVA&t=160s
  • Steven mentioned in the live stream that they are still working on the lighting and how it interacts with the weather system. Apparently the fog changes how the lighting works and in that video it made it seem a lot brighter than it should of.
  • nagash said:
    Just give some races night sight and boom problem solved 
    Some may experience the TRUE darkness i.e. those without eyes *cough* undead *cough*
  • I don't like a super darkness. I do like a minecraft level of darkness. The moon should provide a basic tiny amount of light, and then there should be true darkness underground or in wooded areas. Imo.
  • the problem with true dark is always allowing gama settings, players will cheese it. I love it personally, getting lost at night in EQ are some of the most terrifying moments in my gaming history and I want it back. That said, low light and infravision if they are racials are hugely overpowered if this is the case, or immediately dictates gear choice to equip them. If they go this route I hope no item grants it, but infravision potions that last the whole night are relatively cheap.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    If you remember back, that was a planned thing from the start. True darkness, light giving skills, enviormental things being able to burn for light.
    I set the start and it's till around 1:50 where you see those aspects. Here it's just from the mage perspective. It's one of the earliest videos, I'm pretty sure they expand this past the mage to several classes (maybe not all)
    https://youtu.be/KHTWhIF5cqI?t=84

• I'm watching the twitch stream right now and what stood out was they said it was Night... I was 100% sure it was day and overcast.

I'm one of those people who modded Fallout 4 with True Nights. I'd like the option where if I travel at night I "need" a torch. Going into a cave that has no glowing plants and I have no light, pitch darkness.

Just a console option, I know darkness isn't for all, so I can wait the night out and when the sun rises the flood of sunlight across the terrian is dynamic and stands out.
    I would say just turn down your brightness on the game when you get the game to give you that true night experience. 
  • I'm watching the twitch stream right now and what stood out was they said it was Night... I was 100% sure it was day and overcast.

I would say just turn down your brightness on the game when you get the game to give you that true night experience. 
    Then when the sun it out brighten it again? BAH!
  • These discussions really show the range of people's desire for realism in gameplay.  

Players want immersion; until the truth of it causes a level of burden. 

They want to "feel" we are in darkness without any of the hassle of it.  So, in essence, you don't want darkness.

Many players profess to desire systems with realistic systems; until they realize that so much of how we evolved and what we have build is in response to difficulties associated with environment.  There is a reason you did not see heavy cavalry fighting on the field of battle at night; vision for both the heavily armored rider and the horse.

I would like total darkness.  I want immersion.  However, with darkness as a catalyst each class would have a response to that burden that fits the technology, arcane and divine solutions of the class.  

Mages would have light spells; at the simplest level it could be like in DnD; you cast it upon any object; your staff, a fellow archers arrow to be shot into the darkness; a stalactite hanging from the cieling to light a cavern.  As you grow in power you summon small elementalings to accompany you like wisps.

Warriors would have stones enchanted and set within their blades or use maces which act as braziers with a burning coals set within the head.

Priests as stated above could call for a blessing.

Of course there should be racial abilities for those subterranean dwelling (vice delving) races, however i would like it to be similar to the image seen here https://nerdomancerofdork.wordpress.com/tag/infravision/

If everything and everywhere is lit.  If there is no edge to the torchlight.  You just lose something that makes us human; the elements of both fear and discovery.  

Rounding a darkened corner and have something leap upon you out of the dark is just as wondrous a story as discovering that ancient idol holding a blade by firelight in unexpected niche of the world.

• I do not know whether the law of Verra allows complete darkness. One would hope the world has interesting night skies like maybe multiple moons or something of the sort. Until we can test the MMO in a spinal format we cannot be certain of anything. Hard to test aspects in complete blackness.