Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvP PvE Or both~?

Comments

• Options
    AtliAtli Member, Warrior of Old
    I'm usually a PvPer, but if the content is interesting enough I'll PvE too.
    jgyClWy.jpg
  • Options
    WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2019
    I enjoy PvP when in the mood, however I have a real problem with it being forced on me.

Playing a game like Planetside where I expect PvP (because that's all that game is), that's fine. Being funneled into tighter and tighter leveling zones and forced into PvP areas to do quests? Not cool.

TBH AoC's apparent take on PvP is... dangerous. Any MMO that makes PvP optional does better, whether or not people opt into the PvP aspects. Games that are pure PvE are fine, games that are pure PvP struggle. Meaning PvP is a limited player base.

AoC's flag system sounds to me like it will kill the game quick. I'm willing to give it a go, but honestly I've seen a lot of PvP servers just die quick because nothing discourages grief ganking. That kind of PvP is only fun for one person, and it ruins game experiences for far more then just the one person.

Every game I've played, the "hardcore" kids scream loudest when they lose, brag loudest when they win, and either quit first or second, whichever part they lose on. So I truly hope AoC doesn't promote that sort of attitude in the game.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm mostly a PvE person, with occasional PvP on my terms. But there are features in Ashes that sound fun like caravans, monster coins, and sieges to some extent. I'm wondering with all the siege opportunities mentioned if one could get burn out on them between working on guild prep, castle sieges, Node sieges, and node wars.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    PvP pretty much exclusively.

I hope you can enjoy both~! PvP and PvE! I only play PvP games but I'm giving PvE a shot in MMORPGs! either way I hope you enjoy ashes! <3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    ninfosho wrote: »
    PVX>PVE ALL DAY.

pve should serve the purpose of gearing up for pvp while pvx is always there to keep u on the edge.

I think PvX is both so I'm probably going to be that too! I don't want to just do one or the other, I wanna do both~! n.n <3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Atli wrote: »
    I'm usually a PvPer, but if the content is interesting enough I'll PvE too.

Well I hope it will be~! So you can get some PvE action as well! <3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    wolfwood82 wrote: »
    I enjoy PvP when in the mood, however I have a real problem with it being forced on me.

Playing a game like Planetside where I expect PvP (because that's all that game is), that's fine. Being funneled into tighter and tighter leveling zones and forced into PvP areas to do quests? Not cool.

TBH AoC's apparent take on PvP is... dangerous. Any MMO that makes PvP optional does better, whether or not people opt into the PvP aspects. Games that are pure PvE are fine, games that are pure PvP struggle. Meaning PvP is a limited player base.

AoC's flag system sounds to me like it will kill the game quick. I'm willing to give it a go, but honestly I've seen a lot of PvP servers just die quick because nothing discourages grief ganking. That kind of PvP is only fun for one person, and it ruins game experiences for far more then just the one person.

Every game I've played, the "hardcore" kids scream loudest when they lose, brag loudest when they win, and either quit first or second, whichever part they lose on. So I truly hope AoC doesn't promote that sort of attitude in the game.

Hmm... I can understand that but hopefully Ashes will be different. I personally LOVE pvp, it's the only games I ever have played. when I was 14 I got CS:GO and then RUST after and haven't even touched another game since.

I think the penalties for randomly killing people will be way too much, if you aren't trying to actively pvp and you die I don't really think you lose much of anything (Maybe some mats? but very few) And if the person who is going around killing people who aren't trying to PvP dies, they could even lose their GEAR and WEAPONS.

I don't think Ashes is forcing pvp, but then again I have never played an mmo so I don't know. I also only play PvP games so I could have a bias, but thinking of the grinds some of the gear takes to get in other games... and thinking about losing that just over killing new players is insane.

I'm sure if it doesn't work they will quickly have a solution anyway, I HIGHLY doubt they'll just let a system like that (If it's actually terrible) just go unchanged and kill their game. Thanks for the comment <3<3 ^-^
    Poko.png
  • Options
    GoicoGoico Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Gonna probs do a lot of both, so PvX. Really hyped to experience the PvP!
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Vyzual wrote: »

Awesome~!!!! n.n I'm hyped too~! For BOTH! It'll be my first MMO so I won't know if I like PvP or PvE, but I'll most likely be doing them both!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    xyxsxyxs Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tbh I barely ever play pvp. I got competitive in first person shooters but never in an mmo game. PvE has been a big part of whether or not I liked an MMO. When it comes to playing In MMOs I typically am looking for a more coop experience. That doesn’t mean I won’t try pvp, but for me PvE is key. It allows me to play with others and it also allows me to play without anyone else for quiet moments.
  • Options
    GoicoGoico Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vyzual wrote: »

Awesome~!!!! n.n I'm hyped too~! For BOTH! It'll be my first MMO so I won't know if I like PvP or PvE, but I'll most likely be doing them both!

Oooooh, nice! Yeah I think this game is gonna have a really good balance between them both.
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Xyxs wrote: »
    Tbh I barely ever play pvp. I got competitive in first person shooters but never in an mmo game. PvE has been a big part of whether or not I liked an MMO. When it comes to playing In MMOs I typically am looking for a more coop experience. That doesn’t mean I won’t try pvp, but for me PvE is key. It allows me to play with others and it also allows me to play without anyone else for quiet moments.

Yea~!! n.n That's what I'm thinking, I'm really competitive in CS and RUST but I feel like that'll ruin some of the magic of Ashes. Maybe after I while I could really get into PvP and high end PvE or whatever (if PvE is competitive, i dunno) But Yeah I'd love to run around with some friends and do PvE for a while, then once I'm a high level try out some PvP stuff.
    Poko.png
  • Options
    KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I usually pve which is why I'm so excited for raids in ashes. But with pvp being such a focus I'm also really interested to try my hand in it. :)

I made this guide for newcomers. :)
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/42013/for-all-new-players-who-may-know-next-to-nothing-about-the-game
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    I usually pve which is why I'm so excited for raids in ashes. But with pvp being such a focus I'm also really interested to try my hand in it. :)

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/42013/for-all-new-players-who-may-know-next-to-nothing-about-the-game

That looks like a great guide~! <3 I'm gunna have to go over it more! <3 Thank you for making such a sweet guide! I hope Ashes is awesome for you c: I can't believe 40 MANNNN raids are a thing, I just found out raids are when you fight the big bosses lol n.n
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member

Wow I hadn't even seen the mmo gameplay from dec 2018!!! Some of those monsters look SOOO heckin coooool 0.0
    Poko.png
  • Options
    WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Xyxs wrote: »

This is me.

I've PvPed in MMOs before, however the only time I've *enjoyed* it is when I voluntarily walk into it with the mindset.

I have my PvP pants, and my PvE pants. If I'm hunting mats and critters, I'm not thinking about killing people or looking for any kind of thrill. I don't want to constantly look over my shoulder or, worse, constantly assume everyone I see may or may not attack me for no reason.

I *like* the idea that anyone is killable, and at the same time I don't. I plan on playing a Mage, with a lot of AoE effects. I don't want to accidentally damage someone just because some flagged bastard pokes me with a stick.

TBH Poko, MMO PvP is an entirely different kettle of fish compared to Counterstrike. And for a game like AoC where you don't actually *have* team mates who you can rely on to *not* stab you in the back, it get's overwhelming quick. The flag system is complicated, and potentially grieftastic.

Imagine you're running along, and you see a dude in trouble. He's green so you know he's not up for PvP. He's got himself a fight with a few monsters he likely won't defeat. You decide to help him out and start dropping some AoE spells to thin the herd of critters around him. Some corrupt SoB nails you with an arrow just before you drop your spell and suddenly you're flagged and damage the guy you were trying to help. Now he's flagged, and you're corrupt.

I'm not sure AoC will work exactly like that, but that is a thing I've seen in other MMOs.
  • Options
    AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes has always been described as a PvX game, so my goal is to do PvX. I am looking forward to both equally.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • Options
    chickachasechickachase Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    PvX for me, I plan on exploring the game to its full measure and with open world PvP your not going to be able to escape PvP.
    HSGNewSignatureFormatChickaChaseApril12th2nd_Edition.png?width=1442&height=416
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Very much a PvX player love to take in all a game has to offer and Ashes has the potential to offer rather a lot.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    For those not following Atlas they implemented different server types because the megas were doing their normal zerg/grief spam. They made a server just for them to play with the ruleset they wanted. Turns out like every other games anecdotal evidence. people don't want deal with asshat behavior. Current populations without even a NA PVE server (conspiracy theory right now it that they are waiting for Empire to fail so they save the cost on adding a new server before implementing NA PVE.)
    NA PvP Colonies - 2,516
    EU PvP Colonies - 2,926
    EU PvE Colonies - 1,625
    NA PvP Empires - 115

Edit: Called it. Empires shut down and replaced with NA PVE tomorrow.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Ibarumarky wrote: »
    PvE: Player vs environment
    PvP: Player vs player
    PvX: Player vs anything

I'll play PvX. Both is enjoyable and both I'll practise... with friends and new folks I think it will be fabulous :-D

I'll probably be PvX ! I didn't even know that was a thing lol

Me too! I googled PvX 😂

Raids are really great it 40 can be chaotic... organize everything and if there are tricky mechanics.... it could wipe the raid if you have some moment cripples 😅

PvE start... guild captures PvE Castle...
    ...other guild declare war on the guild to conquer the castle. Nice idea to get ready to rumble
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    azathoth wrote: »
    Ashes has always been described as a PvX game, so my goal is to do PvX. I am looking forward to both equally.
    PvX for me, I plan on exploring the game to its full measure and with open world PvP your not going to be able to escape PvP.

I'm looking forward to doing both as well~! n.n I'd love a nice mix of the two~! Seeing as I've never done PvE that should be especially fun for the first time.
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    PvE: Player vs environment
    PvP: Player vs player
    PvX: Player vs anything

I'll play PvX. Both is enjoyable and both I'll practise... with friends and new folks I think it will be fabulous :-D

I'll probably be PvX ! I didn't even know that was a thing lol

Me too! I googled PvX 😂

Raids are really great it 40 can be chaotic... organize everything and if there are tricky mechanics.... it could wipe the raid if you have some moment cripples 😅

PvE start... guild captures PvE Castle...
    ...other guild declare war on the guild to conquer the castle. Nice idea to get ready to rumble

We're gunna do everything LOL~! I'm probably gunna have to look up on raids though if 40 FRICKIN people are gunna in the them ! ^_^ lol
    Poko.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I plan to focus on artisan craft and PvE but also plan to rp as a mercenary guard on caravans.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Damokles wrote: »
    I plan to focus on artisan craft and PvE but also plan to rp as a mercenary guard on caravans.

Ooooo~! n.n That could be really fun~! People could pay you to protect their caravans while they transfer goods~! ^-^ Crafting should be awesome too, your name gets put on everything you craft from what I heard so. You could craft some awesome gear or something and it would be signed by you!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Both
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Ferryman wrote: »
    Both

Awesome! <3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    ArkanthArkanth Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Why would anyone settle for just one instead of enjoying the whole experience? o.o
    All Hail the Sky Fang Clan
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Arkanth wrote: »
    Why would anyone settle for just one instead of enjoying the whole experience? o.o

True ouo but I've seen some... people who just ONLY want one or the other cx and hate the idea of even trying out the other so o-o weird!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    PvX for me, Although my preferred choice is generally PvE content.
    d9Zje1B.gif
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!