Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flying In MMORPGs

Comments

• Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    edited April 2019
    bchan wrote: »
    Why don't we let the devs make the game that they said they are making and not try to change things or jump up and down suggesting large mechanics changes to the game till having at least read the wiki and whatnot to have an understanding of the games basic mechanics as they already are so that we have constructive threads of discussion not going off half cocked.

Hmmm.. that seems rather aggressive of you~! I don't think it's against the rules or anything to ask people's opinion's on flying. I don't really think any game designers or anything are really looking to random forum threads to create their game either to be honest~! n.n

I'm also not sure anyone was suggesting huge changes seriously, just thoughts and ideas being thrown around for fun. @bchan
    Poko.png
  • Options
    ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    as im sure it was stated Flying is HIGHLY LIMITED in AoC by only a select few (10) plus however many ppl get lucky to raise an Egg of a flying mount(which is only limited by time) so it wont be too bad in AoC
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    as im sure it was stated Flying is HIGHLY LIMITED in AoC by only a select few (10) plus however many ppl get lucky to raise an Egg of a flying mount(which is only limited by time) so it wont be too bad in AoC

Welllll~ I'm happy to hear~! ^-^ I think flying would really be nice, but I already know the kind of effects it would have.

I'd rather have limited timed flight than constantly flight and having the game feel dead~!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    IbarumarkyIbarumarky Member
    edited April 2019
    Well, flying nodes as an expansion to the game would be funny.

But first we need a game and later on there can be thoughts how to improve the world and increase the size.

I don't mind limiting flying as mentioned to major and kings/queens through royal stables plus the few lucky drops... but so far all seems time limited and I'm total fine with it. There would be a to huge advantage when there would be a guild with flying mounts.... easily avoid castle defense and invade it.. it would destroy to much.
  • Options
    ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    THe chance for Egg drops on flying mounts is said to be quite rare, prob more rare or on the same ararity level as the Unique 1 of a kind legendary weapons tehre will be a total of 10 flying mounts in game, that are permanent(as long as they are hjolding their posotion of King/Queen of a Castle (5 total) or the Mayor of a Metropolis (5 total) so far we know these are not on a time specific scheudle unlike the bred ones, which only last a certain amount of time. What we do know is im sure, the flying mounts cant be mounted for 24/7 i msure htere is a period of "recharge time" therefore limiting its use heavily, also im sure thye will be only good for a 1 use per day kinda deal, meaning u have to know when to use it to use it effectively
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • Options
    bchan wrote: »
    Why don't we let the devs make the game that they said they are making and not try to change things or jump up and down suggesting large mechanics changes to the game till having at least read the wiki and whatnot to have an understanding of the games basic mechanics as they already are so that we have constructive threads of discussion not going off half cocked.

Answer this same to all threads and we do not need to discuss about anything anymore. One idea of forums is to discuss freely and make suggestions. Devs are big boys enough to decide what to listen or not. In most cases suggestions are something what devs will just push aside, but then someone might have said something, that gives devs an idea to work further or use it in different context.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    ChungChung Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Haven't heard anything about flying mounts (except the Castle King dragon). Stephen did say there would be air ships. Not sure how they work - can you fly them or are they more like a taxi service.
    Chung3.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    chungmu wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything about flying mounts (except the Castle King dragon). Stephen did say there would be air ships. Not sure how they work - can you fly them or are they more like a taxi service.

Ooooo air ships~!?!? It would be awesome if you could see them flying around in the air c:

And that people would be able to walk around on them and stuff~!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    AoC wrote: »
    It is something that should be added on a later stage of game, years after. when it has lost it's touch and the world has been largely expanded on.

Mhm~! If anything I'd rather it not be added globally, like flying everywhere. I just wouldn't want new players coming in and feeling like the world is completely dead because instead of running to places on ground mounts everyone would be up in the air~!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I found that flying in wow killed the exploration and meaning of where you position yourself in the world for me. I'd rather have a few folks flying on dragons and making it special than everyone doing it, plus I think it's great that the devs are going for the "gliding" mount approach so that you can still cover some distance without flying around all over the place. It also makes a lot of sense in terms of making it there first when it comes to dungeons and raids, as well as node sieges.
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    THe chance for Egg drops on flying mounts is said to be quite rare, prob more rare or on the same ararity level as the Unique 1 of a kind legendary weapons tehre will be a total of 10 flying mounts in game, that are permanent(as long as they are hjolding their posotion of King/Queen of a Castle (5 total) or the Mayor of a Metropolis (5 total) so far we know these are not on a time specific scheudle unlike the bred ones, which only last a certain amount of time. What we do know is im sure, the flying mounts cant be mounted for 24/7 i msure htere is a period of "recharge time" therefore limiting its use heavily, also im sure thye will be only good for a 1 use per day kinda deal, meaning u have to know when to use it to use it effectively

That sounds great~! n.n

I like the idea of flying around and exploring, looking at the world from above. I feel we could just do this if there's high mountains and stuff, using gliding mounts. Even if you can't i'd rather you can't than the whole game feeling dead to new players when they join because everyone is in the air flying around~! ^-^
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Ibarumarky wrote: »
    Well, flying nodes as an expansion to the game would be funny.

But first we need a game and later on there can be thoughts how to improve the world and increase the size.

I don't mind limiting flying as mentioned to major and kings/queens through royal stables plus the few lucky drops... but so far all seems time limited and I'm total fine with it. There would be a to huge advantage when there would be a guild with flying mounts.... easily avoid castle defense and invade it.. it would destroy to much.

Fly nodes~!!! hahaha well I could see some floating islands or something, that could be very nice.

I love the idea of flying mounts but I'd want them not to ruin the game, and if there's no way for them to be in and not ruin the game that's fine c:
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member

Glad to hear~ I just like the idea of flying around and looking at the world~ I'm sure they'll be other ways too though c:

Like climbing up a huge spire or wizard tower or something and seeing some large portion of the area you're in.
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    branegames wrote: »
    I found that flying in wow killed the exploration and meaning of where you position yourself in the world for me. I'd rather have a few folks flying on dragons and making it special than everyone doing it, plus I think it's great that the devs are going for the "gliding" mount approach so that you can still cover some distance without flying around all over the place. It also makes a lot of sense in terms of making it there first when it comes to dungeons and raids, as well as node sieges.

Mhm~!! n.n Gliding mounts should be nice, and I can see how that can happen.

What comes to mind about killing exploration would be... imagine a huge wonderful mountain filled to the brim the secrets and treasure~! only to just... pull your flying mount out of your pocket and fly all around it and spot all the things. INSTEAD of having to take one of your grounds mounts up and around the mountain, risking danger and stuff~!
    Poko.png
  • Options

What comes to mind about killing exploration would be... imagine a huge wonderful mountain filled to the brim the secrets and treasure~! only to just... pull your flying mount out of your pocket and fly all around it and spot all the things. INSTEAD of having to take one of your grounds mounts up and around the mountain, risking danger and stuff~!

Yeah exactly! From what we've seen so far, I'm super pumped about the gliding mounts already! ^^

Loving the arctic prowler <3
    450px-Arctic_Prowler.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    edited April 2019

Yeah exactly! From what we've seen so far, I'm super pumped about the gliding mounts already! ^^

450px-Arctic_Prowler.png

Ooooo~!!! Oh my gosh it looks amazing~! I hope they'll have mounts with the same kinda of detail obtainable in game~! Not just with those packs~! >.< <3
    Poko.png
  • Options

450px-Arctic_Prowler.png

Ooooo~!!! Oh my gosh it looks amazing~! I hope they'll have mounts with the same kinda of detail obtainable in game~! Not just with those packs~! >.< <3

Yeah I hope so too! Hopefully all the cool stuff won't only be in cash shop ^^
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member

450px-Arctic_Prowler.png

Yesss~!!! I haven't played an mmorpg yet so I couldn't bring myself to save up christmas money and buy a pack uwu but maybe i'll buy some stuff once the games out. I DID buy the battle pass though... I only got to play 1 day with it so I hope it isn't expired lol. I'm sure they'll have nice mounts though, and people will INSTANTLY notice if only the good mounts are in the cash shop cx
    Poko.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

450px-Arctic_Prowler.png

Well IS have said they would but it would be nice to see art of it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

450px-Arctic_Prowler.png

Well IS have said they would but it would be nice to see art of it

Yeah exacty
  • Options
    MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Instead of a flying mount can I get a Skyrim horse? No need to go around a mountain when you can go straight up and over.

Seriously tho', flying mounts being very restricted is fine while gliding mounts to hop off cliffs are fine by me. I remember WoW (mid TBC) and going for Keymaster - Would have been much more grueling (and rewarding) had players been made to run everywhere in order to complete the quests to make and acquire keys.

Making the game more difficult by having to walk everywhere is fine, no need for flying and all the shenanigans that come with it.
    owuEH4S.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Morashtak wrote: »
    Instead of a flying mount can I get a Skyrim horse? No need to go around a mountain when you can go straight up and over.

Seriously tho', flying mounts being very restricted is fine while gliding mounts to hop off cliffs are fine by me. I remember WoW (mid TBC) and going for Keymaster - Would have been much more grueling (and rewarding) had players been made to run everywhere in order to complete the quests to make and acquire keys.

Making the game more difficult by having to walk everywhere is fine, no need for flying and all the shenanigans that come with it.

Hahaha YUS~! those things climb up everything.

But yea I agree~! I've seen tons of people saying that it just makes the game infinitely easier, and ontop of that if everyone has flying mounts and just flies everywhere the new people would feel the game is dead. At least I would, first loading up and then seeing no one because everyone is just flying to major points of interest on their flying mounts~!
    Poko.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    I like how flying will be limited to those who put in the effort, literally 10 people will be "renting" a flying mount and the odd times someone gets a legendary drop, also in pvp they will be gangbanged very quickly so there is that too, you know the good old "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Saw some people complain about this before and it baffles me since we have not seen how it even functions. I know I wont have one most likely and I am still hyped to see it.
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Autumnleaf wrote: »
    I like how flying will be limited to those who put in the effort, literally 10 people will be "renting" a flying mount and the odd times someone gets a legendary drop, also in pvp they will be gangbanged very quickly so there is that too, you know the good old "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Saw some people complain about this before and it baffles me since we have not seen how it even functions. I know I wont have one most likely and I am still hyped to see it.

Mhm~! I'd love to be able to have one something though, at least a limited time to fly could be awesome~!

I think the gliding mounts will be alright though, It's a good middle ground honestly c:

<3
    Poko.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Mhm~! I'd love to be able to have one something though, at least a limited time to fly could be awesome~!

I think the gliding mounts will be alright though, It's a good middle ground honestly c:

<3

I have to agree gliding mounts will be just what ashes needs
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

<3

Yeah I'd love to try it out like anyone of course, gliding mounts are a great alternative though c:
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Nagash wrote: »

<3

I have to agree gliding mounts will be just what ashes needs

Mhm~! <3 It'll be wonderful c:
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member

<3

Yeah I'd love to try it out like anyone of course, gliding mounts are a great alternative though c:

Yea~! everyone will want to try but it'll keep it just that much more special being so limited~! ^-^
    Poko.png
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    I'll give paid rides on the back of my awesome dragon mount. :>
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    I like the idea of only 10-15 players owning flying mounts at a time. I think these 'elite/legendary' players are good for an MMO and it's community. I sure as hell won't be one of them though lol.
    “The gift of words is the gift of deception and illusion.”
    ― Frank Herbert