Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Are you going to read all the quest text during your first play through?

2»

Comments

• nayukhuutnayukhuut Member, Braver of Worlds
    Yes, I always do. Quests are one of my main enjoyments in game, and I always greatly enjoy reading them. I even read little fetch quests in other games. :)
    Empyrean Mage/Cleric, and lover of all things lore related.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Reading is for people who don’t know how to look at pictures.
    - Galavant

Forget reading. Feel the pointy end of my sword as I grief you for stealing my mobs.

Virtue is the only good.
  • At the start of wow and I think most of the times tbc and wotlk I read as good as every quest... if it's entertaining and well written I don't say no to AoC Quests. It helps to get into and have some atmosphere so they are important.
  • GhoostyGhoosty Member
    I plan to read each quest text. I like to know why I have to kill the mobs. Unless that it would mean just grind, what will be boring very fast.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Damokles wrote: »
    My first character will read through every quest, search for each and every chest, dive into all puddles and ponds and forge everlasting bonds.
    (Hey, that rhymed! :D)

<3 let me guess...you're usually a bard ;)
    giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cd14746744e6b6d2ea1c50f&rid=giphy.gif
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • edited May 2019
    Yes, especially as this is NOT an end-game game.
    Want to rush to level up? Why? Because the world WILL change and theres every chance that without paying attention, chances to access certain content will be lost by the time you want to use it.

It's also more than likely that the info contained in one NPC random chatter, may be the key to discovering the location of one of those few legendary items.
    neomir wrote: »
    I am hoping during Alpha i can enjoy the story line of the quests especially the initial quests without feeling rushed because i want to level up quickly. .

Unless something has changed, Steven has always said that the lore / stories pre-launch, will almost definately NOT be relevant to anything in the launched game.
  • Damokles wrote: »
    muridious wrote: »
    Fiastos wrote: »
    I myself will but I was interested if other people will do the same.

I always say to myself that I should and will. Although that probably will end the very same day :#

Its like new years resolutions ;D

@Damokles Hahaha! :D That's perfect!
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • grisugrisu Member
    Quests yes, tasks no.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Yes, I always read the text. But I won't read the TOS 'cause who does?
    Speaking of killing 5 wolves, do you know why the big bad wolf attacked the three little pigs?
    Because the pigs had his girlfriend Foxy Loxy and the wolf was trying to save her.
    Little Red Riding Hood's grandma trapped Foxy and sold her to the pigs. When Big Bad failed to get the pigs he went after grandma and you know the rest. Foxy was never seen again.The end. :)
    fNX2ISa.png

• malgusmalgus Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Like a new year resolution I will aim to do this but will probably fail and skip some lines :wink:
    Malgus_Carnyx.png?ex=6589b5fa&is=657740fa&hm=6165ef5455c2f25cb0ac93e39a9f24f652e13d9c02da2b5810117d6852c591f2&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=1919&height=150
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    sunfrog wrote: »
    Yes, I always read the text. But I won't read the TOS 'cause who does?
    Speaking of killing 5 wolves, do you know why the big bad wolf attacked the three little pigs?
    Because the pigs had his girlfriend Foxy Loxy and the wolf was trying to save her.
    Little Red Riding Hood's grandma trapped Foxy and sold her to the pigs. When Big Bad failed to get the pigs he went after grandma and you know the rest. Foxy was never seen again.The end. :)

I want sooo bad to have a LOL button on these forum posts.

LOL
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The TOS is the only thing I have read in alpha 0 or APOC so far. And then I laughed.

Virtue is the only good.
  • Personally I dont care at all about story in mmorpgs.
    I just click "Ok" and start the quests.
    Speaking of quests, I hope that there want be "reward/lv" quests.

I enjoy long quests that need dedication for things such as class progression, powerful skill unlock, status improvement (given that status unlocks content), weapon progression, guild function quest, crafting profession progression quest.
    I also enjoy quests that take you in a difficult to reach area with the purpose of collecting something valuable.

Quests should be reletively few imo, but of great importance.
  • KanisKanis Member
    I like to rush to endgame on the first character. In most MMOs I would. But I get the impression that in AoC, we might not see all the same quests as the world grows and changes.

We might miss out on info otherwise?
  • KumaryKumary Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I personally read some, but mostly I skip since I want to hurry up or prefer where it's the NPC talking and you can listen. Same with cut-scenes...there are a few I do watch, usually if it's my 1st go around and it's catching my attention. If the scene is too long or just not that interesting I skip.
    5b72df90d96c187ed7e6c2f181b8322e.png
    Stormborn Discord: Join Here
    My AoC Referral: Click Here
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kumary wrote: »
    I personally read some, but mostly I skip since I want to hurry up or prefer where it's the NPC talking and you can listen. Same with cut-scenes...there are a few I do watch, usually if it's my 1st go around and it's catching my attention. If the scene is too long or just not that interesting I skip.

I can read faster than the NPCs talk, so it ends up taking longer if all the NPCs are voice acted, since given the option I won't read if I don't have to and space off looking at another monitor while they're talking.
    k2U15J3.png
  • KumaryKumary Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    arzosah wrote: »
    Kumary wrote: »

I can read faster than the NPCs talk, so it ends up taking longer if all the NPCs are voice acted, since given the option I won't read if I don't have to and space off looking at another monitor while they're talking.

I just don't like to read lol, so listening to them lets me just do other stuff or I just like listening to it (if not in a hurry or in the mood)....but I usually just tend to skip :expressionless:
    5b72df90d96c187ed7e6c2f181b8322e.png
    Stormborn Discord: Join Here
    My AoC Referral: Click Here
  • aevariaevari Member
    Oh most definitely. Exploration and Lore is what I'll be enthralled with at the start.

"If you lose sight of something, the only person who can find it again is you"
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depends how well they are written and how much of it is unique content and not copy and paster fluff.
  • edited May 2019
    autumnleaf wrote: »
    Depends how well they are written and how much of it is unique content and not copy and paster fluff.

*Cheers*
    It's deliberate isn't it?

"The Reverend John Fluff was the pastor in a small town in Ireland...

One day he was walking down the high street when he noticed a young lady of his congregation sitting in a pub drinking beer.
    The Reverend wasn't happy!

He walked through the open door of the pub and sat down next to the woman and said sternly,

"Miss Fitzgerald," - "This is no place for a member of my congregation. Why don't you let me take you home?"

"Sure!" she said with a slur, obviously very drunk.

But when Miss Fitzgerald stood up from the bar, she began to weave back and forth. The Reverend realized she'd had far too much to drink and grabbed her arms to steady her. When he did, they both lost their balance and tumbled to the floor. After a few moments, the Reverend wound up on top of Miss Fitzgerald, her skirt hiked up to her waist.

The pub bar keeper looked over and said, "Oy mate, we won't have any of that carrying on in this pub."

The Reverend looked up at the landlord and said, "But you don't understand. I'm Pastor Fluff."

The bar keeper said, "Ah well, if you're that far in, ye might as well finish."

*Cheers happily and cuddleplomphs @autumnleaf *
  • Going to read the dialogues for funny and/or engaging quests.

A lot of todays games have dialogues just as a filler and serve no real function or entertainment.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    The fact that there isn't a solid, well laid out end dungeon makes it more likely for me to read the quests. I tend to grind and rush to level cap, but I might take my time with this one. It just depends on how being at level cap changes your player experience.