Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Your hopes for the final combat system¿

I guess one of the most important things when it comes to wether or not one plays a game for a long time is the games combat system. No matter how flashy/edgy/beautiful/dark/realistic/cartoonish/animeish/etc a game looks, if youre falling asleep during combat all of that doesnt matter

So I guess most of us have some hopes when it comes to the combat system. I guess this already has been asked but How do you want the combat system to work/feel/function, what function should be there and what shouldnt be introduced¿

So, what are my hopes for AoCs combat system? Well.. I hope for a combat system thats simliar to the one BnS* offers. Block skills, AoEs that you can/have to outrun and iFrame mechanics instead of a plain hack'nSlash tanking-system where all the tank does is clicking a skill to become immortal while the archers are just running away and AFK-killing a boss
... er... ye..
I enjoy more complex mechanics without having to depend on them. I hope AoC doesnt end up as one of many HacknSlash MMOs but offers some unique interactions (in PvE as in PvP)

*Imo, BnS offered a pretty engaging PvE combat. Most classes are able to counter or block basic attacks, you had some sort of iFrames and depending which dungeon youre playing a single hit was could end your fight. It had (more or less) complex and unique mechanics for every dungeon that required some teamwork and wasnt all about DPSing and not DPSing but also about running around and activating specific triggers

Comments

• seaberseaber Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dodge rolls and iFrames make combat less strategic and I hope they are not in the final combat as intrepid have advertised, multiple times, that they want combat to be strategic.

Improved archeage(3.0-4.5) combat is my hope for what it will be. AA has had the best hybrid combat system of any mmorpg I've played. It was 'smooth', had a low skill floor and high skill ceiling, groups were much stronger than the sum of their parts and classes were diverse.
    Legendary Healer
    Invincible Tank
    Unrivalled Dps
    Queen of Growlgate
    Kraken Tamer
    Super Cutie
    H8 me cuz u ain't me
  • seaber wrote: »
    Dodge rolls and iFrames make combat less strategic and I hope they are not in the final combat as intrepid have advertised, multiple times, that they want combat to be strategic.

I doubt they necessarily make them less strategic. If you can spam them sure but I think the ability to quickly evade a mass AoE from a raidboss via a 0.5sec iFrame skill on a 15sec cooldown or a mage that can freeze himself for 3 seconds on a 5min cooldown wont cause the game to become less strategic
    I feel like it would benefit the game to add some reaction based abilitiies to avoid a whipe. I like the pressure when I know that a boss is going to do a 1HKO-move that I can only dodge via iFrames, but thats just me ofc
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Joseline wrote: »
    I guess one of the most important things when it comes to wether or not one plays a game for a long time is the games combat system. No matter how flashy/edgy/beautiful/dark/realistic/cartoonish/animeish/etc a game looks, if youre falling asleep during combat all of that doesnt matter

-snip-

Imo, BnS offered a pretty engaging PvE combat. Most classes are able to counter or block basic attacks, you had some sort of iFrames and depending which dungeon youre playing a single hit was could end your fight. It had (more or less) complex and unique mechanics for every dungeon that required some teamwork and wasnt all about DPSing and not DPSing but also about running around and activating specific triggers

Well, I mean, I mostly agree. But there are plenty of games that get by with god-awful combat (*cough*runescape*coughcough*). So it's not 100% necessary to have top-tier combat. But yes, better combat is definitely a big plus.

I also think BnS has one of the best combat systems I've ever used. I think Tera was pretty close behind. But I doubt we're going to get something THAT action-oriented. I'd be happy with something more like GW2 (or AA, which I haven't played, but sounds like it's similar and is supposedly really good).

I think it's also important to note that AoC isn't going to focused as much on PvE dungeons as a lot of other games. I think it's going to have just as much open-world PvE (events and stuff) as dungeon content, probably more. And open-world PvP will probably be even more important than both of those. So the combat system has to be designed for that open-world style of content, rather than the strict, puzzle-like scope of combat you find in Dungeons. So we'll probably get less stuff like "this ability exists so you can dodge/tank/iframe specific dungeon mechanics" and more stuff like "this ability will boost your general defenses a ton as you rush into a chaotic open-world battle". Of course I would still like to see a couple block or iframe abilities in AoC, I just doubt they'll be as important or widely-available as they are in Tera or BnS.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg