Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Characters allowed per server

VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
How many characters do you guys think should be allowed per server? I feel if you have a game with consequences for certain actions (Corruption, Enemy of the State) being able to have your I'm a jerk character, and your farmer/gatherer/crafter makes any decisions you make on those characters, watered down at least. Add onto that the ways in previous mmo titles that people have gamed the system, making spies, ducking certain mechanics, and more modernly, the idea of insiding, should they limit the number? Especially since they seem to be planning class swaps, at least of the second class for now.

Comments

• AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    One per main archetype seems to be the go-to imo. That way you are still able to change your secondary class and have all varieties available
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    That would definitely let you experience everything from the cultures standpoint. What if they let you change main class too?
    Ventharien wrote: »
    That would definitely let you experience everything from the cultures standpoint. What if they let you change main class too?

I am fairly certain that it's been stated that it won't be possible to do. If they did let you change your primary class, I'd shrink down the number of characters that one should be able to create, maybe even down to one
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    branegames wrote: »
    Ventharien wrote: »

I am fairly certain that it's been stated that it won't be possible to do. If they did let you change your primary class, I'd shrink down the number of characters that one should be able to create, maybe even down to one

I think I'd prefer that. Maybe make secondary class switching easy and primary harder, or maybe a bit of a longer process?
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As much as I hate grinding alts up to a respectable level, I think it's better if they don't let us change primary classes on a single character. It just makes more sense to have different characters be... well, different and unique, rather than everyone being every class.

So yeah, gonna need some alt slots for that.

Spying at the node-level at least will be difficult, because ALL of your characters have to be citizens of the same node. Or put a better way, citizenship is account-based not character-based.

But it looks like the same cannot be said for guilds. According to the current plans, you will be able to have alts in separate guilds. So there will most likely be a lot of guild espionage.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
    leonerdo wrote: »
    As much as I hate grinding alts up to a respectable level, I think it's better if they don't let us change primary classes on a single character. It just makes more sense to have different characters be... well, different and unique, rather than everyone being every class.

So yeah, gonna need some alt slots for that.

Spying at the node-level at least will be difficult, because ALL of your characters have to be citizens of the same node. Or put a better way, citizenship is account-based not character-based.

But it looks like the same cannot be said for guilds. According to the current plans, you will be able to have alts in separate guilds. So there will most likely be a lot of guild espionage.

I agree
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2019
    this is purely speculating but i think you get 3 to 5. with the ability to increase slots with a cashshop item to over 10 total. which would be totally fair tbh

edit: and this would be across all servers
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would want at least 8, one for each primary class; or 9, one for each race.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    elf wrote: »
    I would want at least 8, one for each primary class; or 9, one for each race.

that seems like a reasonable amount
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • finndofinndo Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    what about active and inactive toons?

You get 3 slots, can buy more at 2 different tiers, the lower tier is a swappable slot, you can use it to make a new toon, but have to swap one of your current ones out, say with a 5 or 7 or 10 day cooldown period. And then another toon slot item that costs twice as much allowing simply an extra slot.

This way you get a main, and a crafter, then if you want you can try out other classes without deleting them, or have a secondary crafter.

Personally I am on the family based guild system side of the fence.

As far as a max or cross server... I think if they have a max, to make it 10 plus 1 per any new classes or races that come out after launch, per account. with a 1 time per slot server move per life. With stipulations, no unique items can be on the character, any item not in their equipment or personal inventory does not move with them. Moves are performed on Mondays and completed on the following Friday. loss of guild membership and node residency on move. Unless they decide to make guilds cross server...

If they decide to monetize server moves, they could also offer 2 tiers, 1 moves items, the other does not.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    @shkevi I know you were speculating but you won't see more character slots for sale. This was brought up in a conversation about p2convenience and the slippery slope. Steven said that things like buying more inventory or character slots are borderline p2w so would not make an appearance. In a game where the more alts you have gives you more control of crafting and gathering, this is understandable. <Speculation> My guess is 8, but all we really have to go off of is the "a comfortable amount" quote.
    p2convenience.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    intresting!
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    You will have a "comfortable" amount of alts
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • insomniainsomnia Member
    edited August 2019
    But didn't they say that changing the secondary class wouldn't be easy. Might require a quest. Or it could be costly.
    Some might want to have a 2 chars with the same main class, but a different secondary class and race. I'd say, maybe 10 slots. An even number. Some games lets you have 20, i think.

This is what swtor is doing.
    F2P players will have a default of 4 characters per server (up from 2)
    Preferred players will have a default of 12 characters per server(up from 6)
    Subscribers will have a default of 24 characters per server (up from 12)
    The maximum character slots per server has been increased to 100 (up from 52).

They are increasing it and people can by extra slots. Of course AoC is a game that requires a sub, so it will be different.