Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Travelers and adventuring.

Would you like to see in the open world:
forests
glaciers and snowstorms
caves
jungles
ruins
death filled battlegrounds of old times
deserts
mountains
seaside locations
towers and castles

Would you like to feel like you have travelled to these places? For me, if it doesn't take a good walking distance, having to fight some mobs here and there, reaching a desert, it doesn't feel like I TRAVELLED there.
For me if I don't spend a 3-4 days in a certain location, leveling up or farming materials for a gear or some other consumable components, or doing a quest that would unlock something that my character needs, or killing a raid boss to try and loot some item, it doesn't feel like adventuring.

For me if I haven't moved the camera up and locate a point that I want to "CLIMB" or if I haven't moved the camera down and wondered if I will die should I fall, the environment doesn't feel real.

For me if I dying on the open world from mobs just makes me say "meh, I'll go to the fridge and get back in that location in 2 minutes after I have a snack" it doesn't feel worth playing.
If I enter a dark castle or tower I want to feel threatened by those skeletons or death knights or demons or whatever lurks in there.
If I enter a cave I want it to give me a challenge and good exp or mats or loot as a reward for managing to survive in there.

And what about the progress in the game quality? Should your character feel the same in the desert just as on top of a snow covered mountain? An oasis in the middle of the desert could be a place where you can cure heatstroke after a period of time collecting giant scorpion poison glands. A cave with fire could be a place where you can restore MP and HP after battling trolls and ogres on a frosty mountain.
Using certain consumables can help in different environments. Running out of them it would mean that you would have to travel back to the Node for supplies, and then travel back to a location to continue your task that brought you to that part of the map.

It has been so long since I have played an mmorpg in which I feel like I am adventuring.
And as always, other players should pose as a possible threat or a friend that could save the day.

Open world mmorpg.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    forests
    glaciers and snowstorms
    caves
    jungles
    ruins
    deserts
    mountains
    seaside locations
    towers and castles

Well... Yes? AoC IS a open world MMORPG, and I believe that intrepid told us that we would get different zones and biomes. xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • damokles wrote: »
    forests
    glaciers and snowstorms
    caves
    jungles
    ruins
    deserts
    mountains
    seaside locations
    towers and castles

Well... Yes? AoC IS a open world MMORPG, and I believe that intrepid told us that we would get different zones and biomes. xD

But that isn't what he/she talks about. It's about the feeling of doing real adventures... travelling... some like a world feeling
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ibarumarky wrote: »
    damokles wrote: »
    forests
    glaciers and snowstorms
    caves
    jungles
    ruins
    deserts
    mountains
    seaside locations
    towers and castles

But that isn't what he/she talks about. It's about the feeling of doing real adventures... travelling... some like a world feeling

That will undoubtedly happen due to there being no fast travel in the beginning, meaning you will have to spend more time away from the cities. Also, from what I'm reading on the wiki, the way resources respawn will encourage exploration. Once a clump of resources gets used up they will respawn in another part of the world, so it will be up to the players to go out and find it.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think most of those things will be part of Ashes. Except being at the same place for multiple days, since everything seems to motivate players to travel constantly to find resources.
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you find a node you want to invest in, you could spend days in the same area. I also think not having fast travel, and the supposed size of the map, will add to the feel of actual travel. I would be surprised if there were no holes or cliff sides you would be able to look down and wonder if death would be on you, or trees/mountains for that matter. We know the Rogue will have a climb utility that is used in specific locations, I am not sure if every one would be able to climb any tree.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    shkevi wrote: »
    I think most of those things will be part of Ashes. Except being at the same place for multiple days, since everything seems to motivate players to travel constantly to find resources.

Players are going to be locusts.

Hhak63P.png
  • HexcatHexcat Member
    edited June 2019
    For what the wiki says the map is going to be around 420km2 that a huge map, even for MMORPG standards (I think WoW map size is about 207km2), plus the underrealm plus obviously it's not plains all alone, and without instant travel I think AOC it's gonna fullfil you exploration expectations
    BUT maybe not the ancient battlefields...
    Remember that we arrive at Verra thousands of years after the calamity, to explore, to repopulate, so...no "recently" created battlefields are there...
    giphy.gif
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    IMO ashes will have that feeling wanting to know what is up on that cliff or peak, what lurks within this swamp or the depths of a gorge. Apoc and alpha0 have given us a taste of what to expect in the MMO and I do not believe we will be disappointed. A world with encounters far too strong for the single adventurer, quests to uncover the lore of a long lost world and much much more.

We need to remember Steven is a pen and paper RPG player as well as a long time MMO player and has a solid vision of what he wants ashes of creation to be.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • It will be interesting to see how they balance limited bag space with the desire to explore. If you have a home in one part of the world, you should be given good reason to travel for a super long time to a different part if at the end of your adventure you need to go all the way back and just store what you collected. Otherwise people may default to staying within a certain "reasonable" radius around their home (until their home is caught up in war and destroyed or something).

I guess I'm just curious how attached and anchored players will feel to their "home" node and their housing (e.g. freeholds). I know each player will choose their own path of being nomads or tied down to a place but I mean in terms of what housing provides that would motivate you to lean more towards one style over the other.
    @neuroguy
    The bagspace will force you to join caravans for transportation, which is a very cool idea in my view^^
    I also think that this mechanic will bind many players to their home node, where PvE Raiders will flock to the main centeres to raid the higher dungeons/raids and PvP players migrate to the border regions and outskirts for engagements with other nodes.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • @damokles
    Yeah caravans are cool. Traveling far to gather resources is not worth it if it's just a single bag load, but if you temporarily store it in a nearby node for mass transport via a caravan, then it would be potentially very profitable.

I don't think I follow your reasoning for PvP player migration to border nodes though. Because there are less high level/geared PvE people in fringe nodes so raiding caravans there would be higher success chance?
    @neuroguy
    My reason for the PvP player migration to border nodes was more because there they will most likely meet players of enemy nodes. An example would be that your metropolis declared war on another metropolis, this would lead to all subservient nodes to become hostile for the other faction. It would be easier to attack enemy nodes/gank enemy players, when you dont have to walk for 30min jntil you reach them. :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited June 2019
    @neuroguy
    My reason for the PvP player migration to border nodes was more because there they will most likely meet players of enemy nodes. An example would be that your metropolis declared war on another metropolis, this would lead to all subservient nodes to become hostile for the other faction. It would be easier to attack enemy nodes/gank enemy players, when you dont have to walk for 30min jntil you reach them. :D

OR they are part of a scientific metro :wink:
    @whitedude31
    Awwwww yeah! :D Scientific metro all the way!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I feel like OP painted a picture for us. I like that picture. It's a beautiful picture.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    @whitedude31

I honestly think Science Metros will become known as zerg metros because when you attack one you may think there is like 20-30 defenders, BUT THEN, all of a sudden about a hundred people swarm through the teleporter as reinforcements "HOLD THE GATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • noemadnoemad Member
    forests
    glaciers and snowstorms
    caves
    jungles
    ruins
    deserts
    mountains
    seaside locations
    towers and castles

Yes.
  • How good is it than an mmorpg player is making an mmorpg game...
    Cant wait to explore lv up and PvP in an open world. Plus all the new and unique systems and features.
    @whitedude31

I honestly think Science Metros will become known as zerg metros because when you attack one you may think there is like 20-30 defenders, BUT THEN, all of a sudden about a hundred people swarm through the teleporter as reinforcements "HOLD THE GATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And then the airship comes in from across the map with further reinforcements: "Brothers! Gondor calls for aid and we will answere! For the Riddermark! To death and glory!"
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I think variety is great you listed jungles and deserts and forests and they all have a certain artistic value. Think desert and forest and snow covered regions are my favorites. Exploration and question is great way to break the pvp and pve cycles.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want to see my family so a map for tombs would be great
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • nagash wrote: »
    I want to see my family so a map for tombs would be great

Always. Open field and mausoleums. Catacombs or even something like pyramids. Necromancer classes are not my thing but fighting skeletons and undead are one of the best pve themes in mmorpg.