Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

the ranged slot

https://nl.ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons#Gear_slots
so this here is a list of weapons and gear slots and shizz and i noticed there werent any relic/librams/totem or something like that.

its something thats in wow for a few classes and gives them spells either slightly more power or less cost, i like the idea of sacrificing my ranged slot just to give a spell some more oomph or just being more efficient.
what do you guys think?:D

also the idea of a totem sticking on ur back sounds awesome to me to xD

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @skearn
    The totem/relic slot is already gone for a long time in wow, because: Yes it was really cool, but the majority of the player base didnt like them that much.
    I think that Orbs/Books are pretty much that, just with the ability to attack. They could implement orbs with different elemental boosts and books that buff certain spells.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Potion launchers?
    Any class can use any weapon, so if you want to use ranged weapons like bows, staffs, wands, times and potion launchers, you don’t have to pick a specific archetype to do so.

Seems like Ashes has a few ways to add boosts to spells: augments, enchantment stones, runic power stones, etc.
  • WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sacrificing the ranged slot for something that give passive stats or skill enhancement sounds like a intresting build, but it kinda takes away from the point of having a ranged slot in the first place and i can't imagine it being fun to play tbh xd
    Signature-management.gif?ex=65f88ff0&is=65e61af0&hm=b60a2978ee5b23ae1190691e2c655431c2027836a84bfd2e6b3d5c1c410cfc7d&
  • shkevi wrote: »
    Sacrificing the ranged slot for something that give passive stats or skill enhancement sounds like a intresting build, but it kinda takes away from the point of having a ranged slot in the first place and i can't imagine it being fun to play tbh xd

well its not much of a big deal when ur a healer but you could be very right about that x3
    damokles wrote: »
    @skearn
    The totem/relic slot is already gone for a long time in wow, because: Yes it was really cool, but the majority of the player base didnt like them that much.
    I think that Orbs/Books are pretty much that, just with the ability to attack. They could implement orbs with different elemental boosts and books that buff certain spells.

personally i would love that:D
    i find it more prefferable to have just 1 weapon and a "statstick" or a totem/relic :D
    dygz wrote: »
    Potion launchers?
    Any class can use any weapon, so if you want to use ranged weapons like bows, staffs, wands, times and potion launchers, you don’t have to pick a specific archetype to do so.

Seems like Ashes has a few ways to add boosts to spells: augments, enchantment stones, runic power stones, etc.

i think you missed a point, i was talking about having an item with no ranged value that could make a spell more efficient in its cost or do more healing/damage take the spot of the ranged weapon.

thank you all for taking the time:D
    Seems like enchantment stones and runic power stones already accomplish that without needing to take the spot of a ranged weapon.
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems to me a little unbalanced if melee classes can use the ranged slot to improve melee, but ranged classes cant use a melee slot to improve range. Unless I am missing something with this idea.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea. More options to customize your character is usually nice. I know I prefer keeping my melee weapon equipped.

I'm not sure what i'd want it to do though. I'd want it to give you some kind of utility in exchange for the attack option you are giving up. I don't think i'd want it to directly buff your primary method of dealing damage with maybe an exception for hybrid playstyles.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    neomir wrote: »
    Seems to me a little unbalanced if melee classes can use the ranged slot to improve melee, but ranged classes cant use a melee slot to improve range. Unless I am missing something with this idea.

Why wouldn't ranged classes be able to equip items in their melee slots that increase their ranged damage?
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »

Why wouldn't ranged classes be able to equip items in their melee slots that increase their ranged damage?

I did not say they couldn't just the OP only mentions melee class using the ranged slot so I am making the point that it would be unbalanced for ranged classes <if> melee had an extra slot to use to improve but the ranged class did not :wink:
  • neomir wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »

I did not say they couldn't just the OP only mentions melee class using the ranged slot so I am making the point that it would be unbalanced for ranged classes <if> melee had an extra slot to use to improve but the ranged class did not :wink:

i was a little biuased since i plan to play a clkeric or summoner depending on the info we get on that.

but yea i dont see why it wouldnt be able to go both ways:D (#hunterweapon)
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Just to clarify, I *think* I heard this earlier, but not sure. Can non-rangers equip a ranged weapon? For example, if I'm playing a Paladin, can I still equip a bow so I can pull mobs?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I *think* I heard this earlier, but not sure. Can non-rangers equip a ranged weapon? For example, if I'm playing a Paladin, can I still equip a bow so I can pull mobs?

Classes do not limit what weapons you can equip. However some skills don't work with certain weapons.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    arzosah wrote: »

Classes do not limit what weapons you can equip. However some skills don't work with certain weapons.

Which kind of defeats the point in all classes being able to equip all weapons.....
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    edited July 2019

Which kind of defeats the point in all classes being able to equip all weapons.....

Well, a ranger starts with skills like focus shot etc, do you expect them to be able to shoot it with a sword? XD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Well, a ranger starts with skills like focus shot etc, do you expect them to be able to shoot it with a sword? XD

No, which is why I find it strange that a game with set class abilities is allowing every character to use any weapon. Once again it is merely an illusion of choice. Yes you can equip a sword to your ranger but it will be next to useless for you except as a stat stick. I have long since grown tired of such illusions and deception in games.
    volunteer_moderator.gif

No, which is why I find it strange that a game with set class abilities is allowing every character to use any weapon. Once again it is merely an illusion of choice. Yes you can equip a sword to your ranger but it will be next to useless for you except as a stat stick. I have long since grown tired of such illusions and deception in games.

Well... we dont know how a ranger for example will be able to augment his skills, if he goes ranger/fighter for example. It could be possible to turn ranged abilities into melee ones. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just because the ranger would focus on ranged attacks, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to carry an ax and use it with some effectiveness. The alternative being, "no, they have to use a short sword."
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea of every class having a range slot. Even if it is next to no damage for a melee class, it lets them pull mobs at range. Or Throw a ninja star at a fleeing player to keep them in combat.

Virtue is the only good.
  • CROW3 wrote: »

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor
    (source)
    "There are 16 gear slots in Ashes of Creation:

8 Armor slots
    5 Jewelery slots
    2 Weapons slots
    1 Ranged slot"

im not certain whether this is still accurate but just in case^^
    mind that the 2nd weapon slot also covers shields, or supposedly:3

funny you should say that, ever heard of the sword of damocles?:D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damocles
    you might actually find it interesting:3

Well... we dont know how a ranger for example will be able to augment his skills, if he goes ranger/fighter for example. It could be possible to turn ranged abilities into melee ones. ;)

i might have an example for this:D

imagine an arrow shot that makes you charge into melee range:D or arrow shots that cause bleed possibly like mages could make arrows arcane or fire aspected and with rogues it could be poison tipped :3
    but yea there's bound to more than just this when they get around for show and tell:D

your looking for the term "hunter weapon"

but really vanilla hunters of wow are actually a good example of why melee weapons did have a place on them (mongoose bite, raptor strike and wingclip) but yea outside of that they were statsticks...that managed to see them through some sticky situations in pvp.

theres a place for them on ranged characters, we just dont know to what extend:)

just to add to this, the example given was shieldbashing will need a shield to do so, wich to me is more then fair:3
    edited July 2019
    We don't know what choices will be available for Rangers to start with at launch. We will have to see if a Ranger/Fighter can augment Hail Arrows to be some form of Many [Blade] Strike.
    Also, keep in mind that advanced weapons can have up to 5 weapon abilities on them, so, Rangers focusing on their melee weapons' weapon abilities may not care that some of their Ranger abilities aren't usable.
    dygz wrote: »
    We don't know what choices will be available for Rangers to start with at launch. We will have to see if a Ranger/Fighter can augment Hail Arrows to be some form of Many [Blade] Strike.
    Also, keep in mind that advanced weapons can have up to 5 weapon abilities on them, so, Rangers focusing on their melee weapons' weapon abilities may not care that some of their Ranger abilities aren't usable.

That would make for some interesting gameplay, depending on how easily/often you can swap weapons.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • XombieXombie Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Let me hold a rotting head as an orb
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Let me hold a rotting head as an orb

Oh now that i like

natural-skull-candle-2.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • khorne isnt the only 1 that should have a throne of skull:D
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    skearn wrote: »
    khorne isnt the only 1 that should have a throne of skull:D

As sure as Death as certain as the stars Nagash is all and all is Nagash.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sooo... I'm a little confused. If there's definitely going to be a "ranged slot", what's the question?
    How fast can we swap between a ranged weapon and another type?
    caelron wrote: »
    Sooo... I'm a little confused. If there's definitely going to be a "ranged slot", what's the question?

I think the original question was "are there going to be relics/librums/totems that you can put into the "ranged" slot that alter certain class abilities" Basically the OP wants Ashes to copy something directly from old WoW.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • caelron wrote: »

I think the original question was "are there going to be relics/librums/totems that you can put into the "ranged" slot that alter certain class abilities" Basically the OP wants Ashes to copy something directly from old WoW.

yes:D
    i dont see it actually happening but i always liked having a single weapon, not much of a biggie now tho x3