Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The Wrath of the Gods - Religions Mechanic (Fan Suggestion)

Hi ya'll,

This is another "wouldn't it be cool if" kind of post containing my ideas and suggestions related to Ashes of Creation MMORPG.

This time, I'd like to talk about a mechanic that could be added to the religions in the game.

What we know:

So far, we know that there will be 6 religions in the game based on 6 of the 10 original "god" entities. Worshiping the gods is a mechanic in the game, and as far as I know it would give you certain buffs or benefits. Also, we know that religions will be a prominent part of the game and the lore, and will even affect the way different cities look and feel. They will have their own quests, and ofc they will be even more prominent in Divine nodes (can't wait to learn more about that).

My Idea:

My idea revolves around the wrath of the gods. Meaning, the different things that could happen if the players of a certain server anger one of the gods.

How would we anger the gods? There are many ways that this could be implemented. These possibilities include:

- If one of the gods is being worshiped significantly less than the other gods. Basically, if players aren't choosing a certain religion, and the percentage of players worshiping that specific god goes below 5%, for example, that god would become discontent and his wrath would be unleashed upon the world.

- If players fail a certain number of quests related to a specific god, or make certain choices that go against that god's teachings and principles.

- If not enough religious buildings and sites are dedicated to that god.

- Or it could be that each god has its own mechanic which would result in their discontent leading to their wrath.

What happens when you anger the gods?

Here are my ideas for the 6 different religions/gods and the catastrophes they would unleash upon the world if angered:

Note: since we don't have enough info about the gods, what they represent...etc., my ideas will focus on the catastrophes themselves and how they will affect the players on that server regardless of how each catastrophe ties to each specific god.

God 1 - Pestilence: When angered, god 1 would unleash pestilence upon the world, causing different types of diseases and illnesses to spread across the world, causing players to become ill and suffer from debuffs that require certain medical aids to cure. These diseases would vary, and their effects would vary as well. Some of them might even be contagious, so players would have to react fast in order to contain them and do whatever they can to cure the diseased.
Curing the diseased could simply be done through clerics, potions, or spells depending on the type of disease. But in order for the pestilence to end, the god must be pleased by reverting the actions that lead to his wrath.

God 2 - The Swarm: When displeased, god 2 would unleash swarms of locusts that would travel across the entire world, destroying crops and causing crop diseases around the world. This would significantly affect crop growth and harvests, which would have severe implications on the economy until the catastrophe is solved by pleasing the god.

God 3 - Eye of the Storm: Beware the wrath of god 3 as he unleashes destruction upon the world. When angered, a massive storm would form over the world and would bring destruction wherever it travels. Lightning would strike down randomly and indiscriminately, causing fatal damage and forest fires, while the heavy winds would make it harder to walk in the wilderness and would slowly damage buildings in towns and settlements.

God 4 - Wrath of Nature: When angered, god 4 would turn nature itself against the races of the world. Wild beasts, enraged by the god, would turn into ferocious monsters that would devour anyone who dares to approach them. This would cause a portion of all wild beasts in the world to become stronger and more aggressive, and some trees might even spawn wild plants and roots that would attack passersby, making forest and jungle areas become very dangerous areas to travel through.

God 5 - The Titans: Upon angering this god, even the titans would rise to bring divine punishment upon the world. Several titans would spawn across the map; on land, in the sea, and even in the air, and they would start to bring destruction to everything in their path. Ships are attacked by giant tentacles coming from the depths of the ocean, a giant phoenix would rise and start burning cities and villages in his wake, while a number of large behemoths would tremble everything in their path as they march towards the largest cities in the world.

God 6 - The Roar of the Earth: When god 6 is discontent, the entire world will hear him roar in anger. The earth will shake, and buildings would crumble. Tidal waves would hit the coasts, and even the heavens would rain down destruction and fire as meteorites begin to fall randomly across the world. There will be no time to repair the buildings or rebuild, not until the wrath of the god has come to an end, and from rubble and ashes, the races would rise again.

Let me know what you think :)

Comments

• AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like this thought.
    Having world events caused by the divine beings due to them not being worshipped or favored as much as others would be cool.

It would almost be like a struggle between the various focused faiths to maintain a balance or face the consequences.

Also allowing for the gods that are most worshipped to declare intentions to remove worshippers of another faith, like the next most popular after them, would be cool.

This dynamic could allow for constant, although possible repetitive, content.

I'm in.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    Burn the church!

TC8t35h.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Would be very interesting to see a mechanic like this. There should also be benefits to following a certain god, like maybe city-wide protection against certain things or increased bounty from crops and animals.
  • I'd like to see this mechanic with a dev playing as each god.
    lusiphur wrote: »
    I'd like to see this mechanic with a dev playing as each god.

I hope not
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Fake deities that act like humans with super powers?

So, what constitutes a fake deity?
    Are these so called fake deities pretending to be humans with super powers? Like, pretending to be the Green Lantern or Flash? Those are humans that have super powers.

Also, why do you follow most of your post with additional post that are blank? Is this a double posting or are you trying to "bump" the thread for a response?
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azathoth wrote: »

Are these so called fake deities pretending to be humans with super powers? Like, pretending to be the Green Lantern or Flash? Those are humans that have super powers.

Also, why do you follow most of your post with additional post that are blank? Is this a double posting or are you trying to "bump" the thread for a response?

They could be ancient kings and wizards from before the corruption and now that they succumbed to it, they gained immortality, which lead them to start calling themselves "gods". I mean, what else are gods then immortal extremely powerful beings?
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »

They could be ancient kings and wizards from before the corruption and now that they succumbed to it, they gained immortality, which lead them to start calling themselves "gods". I mean, what else are gods then immortal extremely powerful beings?

I felt that dagger from here
    nJ0vUSm.gif

I don't know, they're still gods right?
    Not all gods have the power to create a universe or an entire plain of existence.
    It's also perception I suppose. If you grew up in a world where a handful of beings were called gods, and you were aware of the magnificent things they were capable of (and known to do), and they were immortal, they would just be gods.
  • Let's just leave actual 'real world' religion or personal opinions about religion out of this discussion.
    How about we remove the word 'god' from this and talk about religious leaders / fanatics / demagogues...

Rule #6
    Be well unto others, and respect each other. (No hate speech, racism, sexism, politics, religion, suicidal ideation, excessive trolling, toxicity, etc.)
    Nagash wrote: »

giphy.gif
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Wow!
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    I wrote three different comments in that post then decided to leave it empty.(can't delete)

Since I'm religious myself, my idea of "God" is too straightforward and can't accept or understand otherwise.
    God Evil. Unless they were originally mortals who managed to obtain superpowers somehow and then started calling themselves as such. And good deities are often just good mortals/myth creatures, possibly with special powers or miracle, who a group of foolish mortals decided to worship. Whether or not they feel discontent, both are unworthy of the name "God", even for a game.

I am starting to see why debating with you is nigh impossible and why when others disagree with you, you immediately jump to "they don't like me."

With this post, for me, you have achieved official troll status, and I thought you were attempting to be legitimate most of the time.
    Subotai wrote: »
    Let's just leave actual 'real world' religion or personal opinions about religion out of this discussion.
    How about we remove the word 'god' from this and talk about religious leaders / fanatics / demagogues...

Rule #6
    Be well unto others, and respect each other. (No hate speech, racism, sexism, politics, religion, suicidal ideation, excessive trolling, toxicity, etc.)

Thank you for the reminder, I was about to derail this thread hard. :smiley:
    Nagash wrote: »

giphy.gif

+_9de003260835ab8861bc4d1d031c4426.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

edited October 2019
    Lets be serious guys, most gods in myths etc are not good or bad. They are all True Neutral. They do what they want, because they like what they do. A god of war is not evil because he starts wars, it is in his nature as much as a lion killing a gazelle kit.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
    It's just a game in a make believe world. Holy moly.

Love these ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if something like this would happen every now and then as a random event. :persevere: