Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A cautionary tale for Intrepid Studios

Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPabZ3vcqmc

TLDR of the video is that a Fallout76 player got their account banned because they testing out and then reported an exploit to the developer. After that it's the usual bullshit customer service we've come to expect from Bethesda.

Intrepid, please, for the love of God, don't be like Bethesda. Yes you need to enforce your rules and your terms of service, but when someone is trying to help you improve your game, don't do shit like this. I'm sure you won't be like Besthesda (if you do then we have no hope at all) but stories like this are cropping up more and more lately.

Treat your players with respect and we will stay with you for years and years.
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    while intrepid is nowhere as bad as Bethesda, they do have some problems which pop up now and again, and while I respect steven some times it seems that intrepid don't have the best record with "critics."
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Bethesda is the prime example of a frog in a boiling pot as far as consumers learning to accept really bad service as a norm.

The only thing to be learned from them is the importance of solid and interesting lore (though with how ESO is going in that department, maybe not for much longer)
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Guy I've known for 3 decades was testing Archeage during Alpha. He wrote up a 30+ page document on an exploit, submitted it it and then never did anything with it.

4 days into live launch he got banned for exploiting during Alpha.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    sounds about right
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • leameseleamese Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with the original post. Don't be like Bethesda on that subject or many others alike.
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    A double-edged sword indeed. Either they uphold the ENTIRE community to the TOS or no one. I can see the good this person was trying to do but the best thing they could've done was create a fake account and report it anonymously lol
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Makinoji wrote: »
    A double-edged sword indeed. Either they uphold the ENTIRE community to the TOS or no one. I can see the good this person was trying to do but the best thing they could've done was create a fake account and report it anonymously lol

Whenever it comes to upholding a set of rules you need to always keep in mind WHY the rules are there to begin with. It is impossible to create a set of rules that can be followed to the letter in every scenario because there are simply too many variables to keep track of, but as long as the morality and philosophy BEHIND those rules is maintained, I don't see a problem with breaking the rules.

So, let me ask you, why do most online games punish exploitation of known bugs? The answer is to maintain a fair playing field. Now, we go back to the Fallout76 example. Yes the person technically broke the ToS by using the exploit but you need to consider WHY they did it. In this case, they did it with the end goal of the exploit getting fixed, thus maintaining the fair playing field. The developer and the player had the same objective which makes the rule breaking a moot point.
    volunteer_moderator.gif