Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

If AOC has "Fanservice" - Real question time

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sabrina LancasterSabrina Lancaster Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2020
    rodzor wrote: »
    Ventharien wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »
    Not sure I'd want to go as far as Archeage though, where they had specific items to wear to get a bonus to sleeping.
    Yeah that might be going a little far haha. But craft related stats for crafting could be really cool! Seeing people wearing blacksmithing aprons as they crafted or refined would be awesome!

BDO does this with costumes, they give specific bonuses, so the blacksmith apron gives faster blacksmith crafting cooking apron gives faster cooking/more cooking exp. Pretty simple system and makes sense, they should not be behind and a paywall and it would be good in AoC.

14 has an interesting crafting system that I'd like to see in Ashes. It isn't like BDO where you get little bonuses that end up paying off in the long run but the jobs for crafting and gathering have literal stats on them focused on that job. So for crafting gear you have Craftsmanship and Control. Craftsmanship scales with your synthesis abilities (craft progress) and Control affects your Touch abilities (dealing with influencing the odds of an item high qualitying or collectible related activity.)

Similarly for Gathering, Gathering affects your chance to get a normal quality item, and Perception influences your HQ odds when gathering a resource.

I think more important to really put the crafting into perspective though is in FFXIV when you craft, you have 4 things to look at on a basic level, 5 if you really care and are doing the end game collectible craft turnins. So you have a green bar meaning Progress, this must be filled to complete the craft and it finishes when the bar is green through your abilities. Then the blue bar is generated using Touch abilities and other things like buffs increasing how much the blue bar will fill. Each action that isn't applying a buff uses Durability on the craft, if that hits 0 before you finish the green bar, you fail the craft. Then you have a mana bar that refills after every craft so you can chain crafts together without needing potions or to regen Crafting Points which is your Mana basically.

Ultimately it comes down to a game of getting the green bar as close as you can without going over. Then using your remaining durability on trying to get the blue bar as far as it will go before finishing the craft. Based on how full it was you have odds of the craft being high quality. Additionally using high quality materials before initiating a craft in the recipe makes it start with the blue bar partially filled. Not a ton but it's definitely a deal breaker on some crafts depending on your stats.

It's a lot more interesting than "get materials, press craft all and afk" present in a lot of games. Personally I'd like Ashes to take notes on how FFXIV gives their crafting and gathering legitimate endgames so that you feel like you're doing something if you just want to craft and gather in the game to make gold. Not necessarily in "Oh they make relevant gear" so much as there's activities you can do focused around crafting and gathering entirely that have rewards associated with them so your endgame literally isn't "Gather raw materials, process them, pray they sell." They also contribute heavily to the costume market because there are a plethora of cosmetic items (called glamour pieces) they can craft with really rare and expensive materials that are made literally for the purpose of having the costume that look pretty good. So that way if people already buy the crafted gear the crafters make, there's still the aesthetic appeal of having a really nice coat, or a cute skirt with thigh highs, etc that crafters allocate a lot of effort to procuring the materials to craft.
  • Options
    I think Steven said they are going for a more realistic look. So i doubt there will be ½ naked people. Plus in the latest lifesteam he also said, you should be able to what type of armor the person are wearing and get an idea of their level, by how the armor looks
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    insomnia wrote: »
    I think Steven said they are going for a more realistic look. So i doubt there will be ½ naked people. Plus in the latest lifesteam he also said, you should be able to what type of armor the person are wearing and get an idea of their level, by how the armor looks

I’m my personal opinion that goal so far isn’t quite succeeding.

All the armor looks very same-y. The only difference between cloth and plate was how shiny the material was, the silhouettes were damn near identical.
  • Options
    Just don't reveal nipples or crotch. I had always imagined AoC was greater than GoT.
    WCvdU03.jpg
  • Options
    FlashmanFlashman Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2020
    Fooshyy wrote: »
    Whether we have big explosions, cool looking armors to bob sliders, scantily-clad outfits (underclothed), and a few drops of sexualization, whether that's fitted armor, or undergarments. How far is too far? What do you think is adequate for an RPG?

You ask that like there's only one kind of RPG and we are trying to find the sweet spot for it. The reality is, there are quite different RPGs out there. In some, mini-skirted, metal bikini-wearing women with green hair are the order of the day and make perfect sense. And then there are others where that kind of look is just nonsensical for what it's trying to be. So how far is too far? What is adequate? It totally depends on the game and, by extension, that game's audience. And I don't seek to give commentary on what's right/wrong across that spectrum.

In terms of AoC itself, I see it treading a fairly conservative line. And I quite like that myself. I find it faintly embarrassing (and far from the titillation its supposed to provide), to be playing a game with oodles of fan service elements in it. So in that sense, AoC suits me quite a bit. Will it suit everyone? Probably not. But that's life.
  • Options
    smee86smee86 Member
    http://fav.me/d733esj

http://fav.me/d5akcg7

This is what i want to see

BTW how do i implement the picture in my post?
    i tried copying the url ind that image thingy, but nothing happens
  • Options
    gaeleathgaeleath Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer the actual armor to be "Practical". So full armour, no metal bikini's.
    That doesn't mean that there's no room for "casual clothes" that can be lewd.

The game will have a lot of activities that don't require full heavy armor, like fishing, trading etc etc.
    We all know that you will sell more wares from your stall if you have some eyecandy standing behind it UwU
    o5cyez1bnzal.gif
  • Options
    DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
    edited May 2020
    smee86 wrote: »

You want to right click on the image and "Copy image address" from there you can add [img at the beginning of the image link and [/img] at the end. OR

Paste it in here! (The image address that is)
    NP22Nt9.png

If you need help, look up how to post images in "Vanilla Forums"!
    Also your images, are grand, and are something i hope to see.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

You want to right click on the image and "Copy image address" from there you can add [img at the beginning of the image link and [/img] at the end. OR

NP22Nt9.png

I miss the old upload system we used to have
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

NP22Nt9.png

Mean the one where we literally uploaded to the site?
  • Options

NP22Nt9.png

bingo
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

NP22Nt9.png

bingo

That was a wonderful and blissful time
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Don’t you people talk about the old forums. They’re never coming back, just move on. Move on dammit! :cry:

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Don’t you people talk about the old forums. They’re never coming back, just move on. Move on dammit! :cry:

Never!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I remember the old forum... I even remember having some unique forum badge for something that happened back in the early days... but it didn't seem to come over to this forum; I don't have it any more.
  • Options
    blur wrote: »
    I remember the old forum... I even remember having some unique forum badge for something that happened back in the early days... but it didn't seem to come over to this forum; I don't have it any more.

Ah the Survivor of the old forum badge now that brings back memories
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

That's the one... survivor of the original forum... which became the next forum... which became this. LOL.
  • Options

That's the one... survivor of the original forum... which became the next forum... which became this. LOL.

This is the 4th forums we have had now so we need more badges
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

Wow, there's been so many even I forgot one one them...!
  • Options

Wow, there's been so many even I forgot one one them...!

Never forget. Never forgive
    nJ0vUSm.gif