Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Druids

RepkarRepkar Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
So, My favorite type of character to play in any game is a nature wielding magic/melee class. Ever since I was a kid I chose classes like druid, or grass types in Pokemon :) My question is, do you guys think any of these class combinations would be close to that? I think it would be cool if the class focused purely on nature spells like springing roots from the ground to attack enemies, calling nearby nature spirits that had been forgotten when we left Verra, drawing powers of all nearby plants to poision/sleep/entangle enemies. I dunno, I can dream cant I? :blush:

Comments

• RepkarRepkar Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Repkar wrote: »
    So, My favorite type of character to play in any game is a nature wielding magic/melee class. Ever since I was a kid I chose classes like druid, or grass types in Pokemon :) My question is, do you guys think any of these class combinations would be close to that? I think it would be cool if the class focused purely on nature spells like springing roots from the ground to attack enemies, calling nearby nature spirits that had been forgotten when we left Verra, drawing powers of all nearby plants to poision/sleep/entangle enemies. I dunno, I can dream cant I? :blush:

Ps. No not an animal turn into class like in wow :p
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Based on the names/knowledge from other games about classes, I'd assume a Scion would probably be the closest thing to that considering it's a Ranger x Mage. I googled Scion, since I only know of the word from FFXIV, and it's defined as "a young shoot or twig of a plant, especially one cut for grafting or rooting" which seems to be close to what you're looking for with the nature stuff/calling forth plants to assist. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on that one.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Since we don't know all the spells, all the augments, etc, there is no way to know.

Summoner/Ranger or Mage/Ranger might be what you are looking for, but we'll have to wait until Alpha 2 to see.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
    Magic Man wrote: »

thanks mate!
    Jamation wrote: »
    Based on the names/knowledge from other games about classes, I'd assume a Scion would probably be the closest thing to that considering it's a Ranger x Mage. I googled Scion, since I only know of the word from FFXIV, and it's defined as "a young shoot or twig of a plant, especially one cut for grafting or rooting" which seems to be close to what you're looking for with the nature stuff/calling forth plants to assist. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on that one.

oo scion! ill be looking for it when they start talking about classes good thought! thank you so much!
  • To add to what the two before me said:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes
    That is a the list of classes.
    I don't think Ranger/Mage (Scion) or or Ranger/Summoner (Beastmaster) will be the class you are looking for.
    Beastmaster as it is most likely about Beasts and not plants and Scion will most probably infuse the more phisycal attacks of the ranger with fire or electricity from the mage spells. Although there is a Mage spell (tentacles) that with the right augment could turn into vines... maybe
    Reason why I think that Ranger will not be a good primary for you is that Ranger seems to be focusing on ranged combat and one of the thinks you mentioned was that you wanted close combat.
    The one I think might be closest to what you want could be "Protector"(primary cleric and secondary ranger).

But that said. I don't see any class that seems to be specifically based on plant magic.
    I don't think Ill ever get to RP Radagast, but hopefully there will be something close :) I'm sure I will have to combine mage with something, I am eager to find out when they dive into classes <3
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Songwarden (Bard/Ranger) might also be a druid like class. Bards are suppose to be less "tooty tooty" and more "stabby stabby", and they focus on buffs/debuffs, so stabbing an enemy might result in vines ensnaring them and the like.

Just a hunch. We know next to nothing about how all this will work right now.
    wolfwood82 wrote: »
    Songwarden (Bard/Ranger) might also be a druid like class. Bards are suppose to be less "tooty tooty" and more "stabby stabby", and they focus on buffs/debuffs, so stabbing an enemy might result in vines ensnaring them and the like.

Just a hunch. We know next to nothing about how all this will work right now.

That actually would be really amazing, I imagine Steven and the team know who Tom Bombadil is. He and Radagast are my favorite characters and who I have always tried to model my RP characters after. I would 100% call him a druid type character with a definitive mix of a bard. Great idea!
  • lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I, too, really like the druid aesthetic and want to create it in Ashes. I think they were are a couple options.
    Cleric/Ranger for a healer type druid, Mage/Ranger for a nature dps type druid, Summoner/Ranger for dps and maybe shapeshifting if the ranger portion was used to summon the aspect of animals via a shapeshifting spell or something.

Cleric/Summoner being a shaman has me thinking Summoner might also offer some degree of nature-like aesthetic as well.

I'm hoping that having py'rai as a race and perhaps religious choices can round out the look entirely.

signature.png
  • The nature aesthetic might also be achieved with the Religion system such as the skill augments. We'll just have to see.