Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

CHARACTER STRUCTURING

Hello, one thing that interests me a lot in mmorpgs is how will I be able to structure my characters, for example if I will be free to add status points in the traditional ones (str / int / dex / agi / con), I am tired of the current hands where I have no freedom to distribute these status points. Another thing is the question of runes as they are also limited in the number of slots in each item and what type of rune I can put in each piece of equipment. and also the question of skill building where I have to follow a chain of skills that I don't want to use to get to the skil that really interests me, and also the amount of skill points that I will be able to accumulate and distribute between the skills, and if I can make a build completely unlike my class because I will be free to do so, I thank you for your attention, and I am looking forward to playing ashes of cration.

Comments

• Tam HawkinsTam Hawkins Member
    edited May 2020
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Stats
    It seems that stats are decided by your race and the primary archetype. I don't know if there are stats you can allocate yourself.
    BUT
    Depending on your secondary archetyp you will have multiple skill augments and it seems that they plan a rather large level of equipment customisation of which runes will simply be a single layer.
    I do not know if skills have to be learned in order or not.

*Edit:
    Forgot one thing.
    I believe they said that a primary archetype will stay within its role, for example tank will always be a Tank it will not suddenly turn into a healer or DD. BUt you can probably make a Tank that can heal a bit on the side or does a bit more dmg or maybe uses a bit more crowd controle.
  • flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Stats
    It seems that stats are decided by your race and the primary archetype. I don't know if there are stats you can allocate yourself.
    BUT
    Depending on your secondary archetyp you will have multiple skill augments and it seems that they plan a rather large level of equipment customisation of which runes will simply be a single layer.

*Edit:
    Forgot one thing.
    I believe they said that a primary archetype will stay within its role, for example tank will always be a Tank it will not suddenly turn into a healer or DD. BUt you can probably make a Tank that can heal a bit on the side or does a bit more dmg or maybe uses a bit more crowd controle.

I'm offended, I wanted to mash everything into Charisma.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    marlless wrote: »
    Hello, one thing that interests me a lot in mmorpgs is how will I be able to structure my characters, for example if I will be free to add status points in the traditional ones (str / int / dex / agi / con), I am tired of the current hands where I have no freedom to distribute these status points. Another thing is the question of runes as they are also limited in the number of slots in each item and what type of rune I can put in each piece of equipment. and also the question of skill building where I have to follow a chain of skills that I don't want to use to get to the skil that really interests me, and also the amount of skill points that I will be able to accumulate and distribute between the skills, and if I can make a build completely unlike my class because I will be free to do so, I thank you for your attention, and I am looking forward to playing ashes of cration.

In most MMO's the bulk of your stats are gained via equipment, rather than through class or race choice.

We don't know for sure that this will be the case in Ashes, but I am currently assuming it will be.

We also know that in Ashes, crafters will make either most or all of the equipment players use. There will also be the ability for crafters to alter the stats on items they make, in order to allow for customization of each item as it is made.

Take all of this together and you have a system where individual players have a fairly good amount of control over where their stats lie - it just may not all happen at character creation.
  • arodicusarodicus Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Another thing to note is regardless of your class you can equip any type of equipment. While your class will have bonuses and such towards a specific type you aren’t locked into it. So you could be a plate wearing shield wielding cleric or a cloth wearing wand wielding tank if you wanted to be it just wouldn’t make much sense with the benefits you get from your class towards the gear you should have
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I like character structure. I like combat more.

I prefer to spend time thinking about which abilities to use against enemies, how to best time my cool downs, use my available MP, based on their types. I dont care much for allocating stats to make me suitable for X or Y situation and do calculations on whether crit dmg or armor penetration will give me 0.2% more dmg output and if investing in regen as opposed to skill cost reduction will achieve better resource management by a tiny bit.

I want my warrior to have high HP and high DMG, since these are my class strengths as opposed to high defences and high crit and speed. What will I do?
    + Con + Str - dex - spirit.
    Do I want to even out my warrior? Ok, Ill invest less in dmg and more in defences
    -Str + spirit, and that should good enough for tinkering.

Combat strategy is more important than spreadsheets and calculators.

Let's say that I am playing the X class and I have a hotbar of 16 abilities (or any number that can contain a fair bit to my class+weapon abilities, as opposed to MOBAS), and during my adventures I want to use skills to:
    Buff self or group(duration: 5-10s, 2-4mins, 10+mins)
    CC
    Deal consistent dmg (PvE, PvP vs tanky enemies, vs tricky enemies)
    Deal burst dmg (PvP vs healers, vs dangerous enemies)
    Debuff target(poison, bleed, burn, lower ded, lower atk, lower speed, increase skill cost etc etc)
    Deal with ranged enemy (gap close, ranged atk)
    Deal with melee enemy (gap opener, counter atk)

Does my enemy hold Sword and Shield while wearing armor?
    I will use Armor Crash:
    Ignore 20% of target defence
    Cost 20mp
    Dur 10s
    CD 25s

I will use Double Slash:
    2000k dmg
    Bleed TRUE DMG 200 per sec for 5s
    Cost: 75mp

Is my enemy a dagger + medium armor?
    I will use Counter Stance
    Receive 50% less dmg and return 30% of incoming atk from the next enemy atk. Effect lasts 4s
    Cost 15mp
    CD 15s

I will use Triple Slash
    Deal 3750 dmg

Is my enemy wearing pajamas and holds a magic wand?

I will use Charge
    Rush to an enemy target within 20m dealing 1500 dmg.

I will use Pomel Strike (to the nose)
    Stun an enemy target for 3s (or whatever is appropriate based on the combats design)

I will use Triple Slash
    Deal 3750 dmg.

For me this is a much better character structure.
    Select abilities to slot to do deal with certain situations, rather than stats.
    Select Weapon for playstyle
    Select Class for Character identity
    Select 2nd prof to enhance or suppliment my playstyle, and also add some unique feature that I like (Magic strikes, ghostly movement etc etc).

I hate it when games become all about looking into which stats yield the best results (visible or insignificant), while the combat is the same rotation for 6 MONTHS against ANY ENEMY TYPE.

Look at ESO. Full of theory crafters during PTS, one saying "We will use the Dark armor and enhance is with Crit chance stones, and use shield smash, sword strike, pomel strike", the other saying "We will use Dark armor, enhance it with penetration stones, and use shield smash, sword strike, pomel strike", and the other goes "We will use the Light armor, enhance with critical dmg stones, and use shield smash, sword strike, pomel strike".
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't see much use in stats anymore.

Honestly, people are just going to max out their... whatever determines crit chance for rogues, whatever determines their health and durability for tanks, whatever gives them more mana for spell casters... You get the idea. Doesn't really offer much chance for innovation or wiggle room for creativity.

Class based systems don't need manually allocated stats, or if they do, make them actually meaningful and allow for freedom to innovate new takes.

I make a mage/tank. I wear medium armor and wield a mace/shield, and I invest evenly in defense and spell power. I become a durable spell caster that's versatile enough to stand toe to toe in melee combat.

I make a bard/rogue. I wear cloth armor and invest heavily in dex and charisma, and wield dual daggers. My strategy is to essentially crit fish and buff/debuff in combat while avoiding as much damage as possible by being evasive as possible.

I'd rather see stats raise and lower based on the weapons and armor you choose. Someone who wears plate is going to have higher con and defensse stats, someone who wields a heavy 2 handed weapon is going to have higher strength, light/ranged means higher agility, and cloth/instrument/spellbook means higher magical stats.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dont really care for the main stats, but love the secondary stats of most games.

I want... Nay... NEED mulitstrike from World of Warcraft WoD back!
    There was nothing better then topping the damage meter with only my mainhand attacks, off hand attacks and poison procs.
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »
    I dont really care for the main stats, but love the secondary stats of most games.

I want... Nay... NEED mulitstrike from World of Warcraft WoD back!
    There was nothing better then topping the damage meter with only my mainhand attacks, off hand attacks and poison procs.

It's almost like damage meters and stuff make the game more fun!

But yeah, primary stats have been mostly useless in MMO's for a whike, especially the ones your character starts off with. It usually only takes two or three items being equipped before any stats you start with are essentially irrelevant.

Could he interesting to see a game where the equipment doesn't have those primary stats though - and once your character is created you can't ever add to or alter them again.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    Distribute what? Maxing out your main stat is the way to go, always! That's what the majority would do, because that's the right thing to do. There is no need for "character structure".

If you find yourself needing to be tanky as DPS because you keep getting 1 shot then obviously something wrong with the game.

Not always.
    It could be worth it for some classes to spec into multiple main stats.

Lets see what stats we already know about and what they could mean:
    Power - Strength of skills (no matter the class) and damage on weapons

Dexterity - Attackspeed and dodge chance (?)

Constitution - HP and Stamina Pool

Willpower - CC resistance and

Wisdom - Mana Pool

Mentality - Ability Cooldown (?)

A warrior, for example, could go for a glass cannon built, with only investing in the Power stat. But that would be a one-shot build, because he would not have the needed constitution to survive the counter attack of his enemy, the dexterity to dodge incomming attacks or the Mentality stat to quickly replenish his skills.
    A clever DPS warrior would go for a three stat build of Power, Dexterity and Mentality, while a offtank warrior would go for Power, Constitution and Willpower.

Games like WoW can pull it off, because they put things like Consitution passively on all equipment, and making all other stats none usable for the class.
    I remember a time, where warriors went for dexterity and strength in equal measures, where a ranger used strength gear.

Only pushing one stat can be... interesting? But I think that a dversification of stats would be a better and more engaging system.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I recall they said in the last live stream. No. They changed their mind on it. It was originaly yes
  • https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Stats
    BUT

*Edit:
    Forgot one thing.

I understand, but that's not freedom, freedom is I can do whatever I want with my char, if I want to be a tank and use status ful wisdom or intelligence, now having predefined satatus sucks because you don't have freedom
  • Noaani wrote: »

In most MMO's the bulk of your stats are gained via equipment, rather than through class or race choice.

We don't know for sure that this will be the case in Ashes, but I am currently assuming it will be.

We also know that in Ashes, crafters will make either most or all of the equipment players use. There will also be the ability for crafters to alter the stats on items they make, in order to allow for customization of each item as it is made.

Take all of this together and you have a system where individual players have a fairly good amount of control over where their stats lie - it just may not all happen at character creation.

this is not control over your character, depending on rg in item status, the right thing is you up lvl and earn points for yourself to distribute, there adding to the rng of the items
  • I like character structure. I like combat more.

I prefer to spend time thinking about which abilities to use against enemies, how to best time my cool downs, use my available MP, based on their types. I dont care much for allocating stats to make me suitable for X or Y situation and do calculations on whether crit dmg or armor penetration will give me 0.2% more dmg output and if investing in regen as opposed to skill cost reduction will achieve better resource management by a tiny bit.

I want my warrior to have high HP and high DMG, since these are my class strengths as opposed to high defences and high crit and speed. What will I do?
    + Con + Str - dex - spirit.
    Do I want to even out my warrior? Ok, Ill invest less in dmg and more in defences
    -Str + spirit, and that should good enough for tinkering.

Combat strategy is more important than spreadsheets and calculators.

Let's say that I am playing the X class and I have a hotbar of 16 abilities (or any number that can contain a fair bit to my class+weapon abilities, as opposed to MOBAS), and during my adventures I want to use skills to:
    Buff self or group(duration: 5-10s, 2-4mins, 10+mins)
    CC
    Deal consistent dmg (PvE, PvP vs tanky enemies, vs tricky enemies)
    Deal burst dmg (PvP vs healers, vs dangerous enemies)
    Debuff target(poison, bleed, burn, lower ded, lower atk, lower speed, increase skill cost etc etc)
    Deal with ranged enemy (gap close, ranged atk)
    Deal with melee enemy (gap opener, counter atk)

Does my enemy hold Sword and Shield while wearing armor?
    I will use Armor Crash:
    Ignore 20% of target defence
    Cost 20mp
    Dur 10s
    CD 25s

I will use Double Slash:
    2000k dmg
    Bleed TRUE DMG 200 per sec for 5s
    Cost: 75mp

Is my enemy a dagger + medium armor?
    I will use Counter Stance
    Receive 50% less dmg and return 30% of incoming atk from the next enemy atk. Effect lasts 4s
    Cost 15mp
    CD 15s

I will use Triple Slash
    Deal 3750 dmg

Is my enemy wearing pajamas and holds a magic wand?

I will use Charge
    Rush to an enemy target within 20m dealing 1500 dmg.

I will use Pomel Strike (to the nose)
    Stun an enemy target for 3s (or whatever is appropriate based on the combats design)

I will use Triple Slash
    Deal 3750 dmg.

For me this is a much better character structure.
    Select abilities to slot to do deal with certain situations, rather than stats.
    Select Weapon for playstyle
    Select Class for Character identity
    Select 2nd prof to enhance or suppliment my playstyle, and also add some unique feature that I like (Magic strikes, ghostly movement etc etc).

I hate it when games become all about looking into which stats yield the best results (visible or insignificant), while the combat is the same rotation for 6 MONTHS against ANY ENEMY TYPE.

Look at ESO. Full of theory crafters during PTS, one saying "We will use the Dark armor and enhance is with Crit chance stones, and use shield smash, sword strike, pomel strike", the other saying "We will use Dark armor, enhance it with penetration stones, and use shield smash, sword strike, pomel strike", and the other goes "We will use the Light armor, enhance with critical dmg stones, and use shield smash, sword strike, pomel strike".

I got your point, but I'm the opposite, I hate the style you described, I prefer more to customize my character in status, set status / runes, to be tank full hp/def/block, and be a wall, keep doing rotation of skill depending on the moment discourages
  • Damokles wrote: »
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    Distribute what? Maxing out your main stat is the way to go, always! That's what the majority would do, because that's the right thing to do. There is no need for "character structure".

If you find yourself needing to be tanky as DPS because you keep getting 1 shot then obviously something wrong with the game.

Not always.
    It could be worth it for some classes to spec into multiple main stats.

Lets see what stats we already know about and what they could mean:
    Power - Strength of skills (no matter the class) and damage on weapons

Dexterity - Attackspeed and dodge chance (?)

Constitution - HP and Stamina Pool

Willpower - CC resistance and

Wisdom - Mana Pool

Mentality - Ability Cooldown (?)

A warrior, for example, could go for a glass cannon built, with only investing in the Power stat. But that would be a one-shot build, because he would not have the needed constitution to survive the counter attack of his enemy, the dexterity to dodge incomming attacks or the Mentality stat to quickly replenish his skills.
    A clever DPS warrior would go for a three stat build of Power, Dexterity and Mentality, while a offtank warrior would go for Power, Constitution and Willpower.

Games like WoW can pull it off, because they put things like Consitution passively on all equipment, and making all other stats none usable for the class.
    I remember a time, where warriors went for dexterity and strength in equal measures, where a ranger used strength gear.

Only pushing one stat can be... interesting? But I think that a dversification of stats would be a better and more engaging system.

That's what I'm talking about, about me being free to do what I want without being something already predefined, if I want to put full dex in a tank, having high attack speed and high evasion, nothing stops me, you understand, now if I'm going to be limited only to item statuses, oh no fuck
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    wolfwood82 wrote: »
    I'd rather see stats raise and lower based on the weapons and armor you choose. Someone who wears plate is going to have higher con and defensse stats, someone who wields a heavy 2 handed weapon is going to have higher strength, light/ranged means higher agility, and cloth/instrument/spellbook means higher magical stats.
    That is really more of an FPS than an RPG. So...
    No.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    No.

yes friend, in some points it doesn't look like mmorpg, depending on defense and damage of items is moba ,battle royale and fps
    Noaani wrote: »

this is not control over your character, depending on rg in item status, the right thing is you up lvl and earn points for yourself to distribute, there adding to the rng of the items

First of all, this thread is two years old - why are you bringing it back?

Second, gear in Ashes doesn't have it's stats issued via RNG, players have an amount of control over it.

If we apply stats to our character as the main source of acquisition, then we are stuck with that. If we want to be a DPS class in PvE, it means we can't then attribute points to HP or other survival stats in PvP.

If stats are primarily acquired via gear, and players have an amount of agency over those stats, it means we have actual control over the stats we have, and are able to change our gear (and thus a large portion of our stats) as the situation dictates.

It is your suggestion that is not providing control over our characters, mine (which is not a suggestion, it is both what most MMO's do, and what I expect Ashes to also do) gives players actual control.
    Dygz wrote: »
    No.

You realize you just replied to someone that hasn't been active in almost a year, right?
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    No.

You realize you just replied to someone that hasn't been active in almost a year, right?

Between the thread Necro and this
    😵‍💫😆🤣