Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Can you avoid pvp entirely ? Like only craft or pve etc.

So i hate pvp. Once in a rare occation i might do it, if im in the mood.

I mainly just craft and run a store in most mmorpg's and then do abit of the usual PVE raids. And there is nothing more i hate then some person killing me while i run around try harvest resource nodes for exampel.

So the question is ... can i do that in this game ? or should i just stay clear of this game ? please.

I see that pvp is importent in this game, and it doesn bother me. You guys can slay each others as much as you want. Just come shop at my store when you need new gear. :P

Thanks alot for your time

Comments

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No, any time you are out in the world you will be eligible for PvP combat.
    k2U15J3.png
  • If you choose not to fight back do you loose anything?
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2020
    Incarnatus wrote: »
    If you choose not to fight back do you loose anything?
    If you choose not to fight back you lose double what you’d lose if you fought back and lost. In other words, your XP debt is doubled, and you’d drop double the crafting resources that you’d normally drop. (The PKer gets the stuff you drop.)

So in most cases you’ll want to fight back. You might gamble that the player attacking you doesn’t want to gain corruption, and might stop short of killing you. But my guess is that most players who attack a green player (a player with the PvP flag off) do so accepting that they’ll get corruption, so that strategy probably won’t work very often.
    Rathengar wrote: »
    I mainly just craft and run a store in most mmorpg's and then do abit of the usual PVE raids. And there is nothing more i hate then some person killing me while i run around try harvest resource nodes for exampel.

So the question is ... can i do that in this game ? or should i just stay clear of this game ? please.
    PvP is an integral part of the game. If you can’t stand the idea of people attacking you without your consent, and it would upset you, this probably isn’t the game for you. There is no way to be “safe”. However, there are also systems in place (primarily the corruption system, and maybe a cultural thing) that will make it so that while getting jumped and killed by other players against your consent will happen now and then, it won’t happen all the time.

Hhak63P.png
  • HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think it is possible to avoid bumping into hostile players entirely. If you refuse to fight back, you do lose more resources you've gathered for crafting, but it also puts corruption on the person responsible for your death. Corrupt players who've gone too far can lose their own items and be tracked by bounty hunters. They'd need to not only kill you, but they'd also need to get away with it. How difficult that will be is yet to be seen. It could vary depending on where you are attacked. Close to a town might be too risky. In the middle of nowhere could be far enough away from the bounty hunters for them to get away with the goods.

I wouldn't want to get corrupted outside of a tavern.
  • Okay thanks all of you who replied, i stay clear of the game then.

Kinda ashame it look like a really nicely made game for once. Which seem rare now a days, many are just cash grabs in my eyes.

Also sadly many newer mmorpg now a days is heavy pvp based. I honestly dont get why they cant make a none pvp game and then just add pvp servers instead , Or a system you can flag into the days you are in mood for pvp in a game made like this game is. That worked well enough in "old days"
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Okay thanks all of you who replied, i stay clear of the game then.

Kinda ashame it look like a really nicely made game for once. Which seem rare now a days, many are just cash grabs in my eyes.

Also sadly many newer mmorpg now a days is heavy pvp based. I honestly dont get why they cant make a none pvp game and then just add pvp servers instead , Or a system you can flag into the days you are in mood for pvp in a game made like this game is. That worked well enough in "old days"

So let me tell you, the future of MMORPGs is open world PvP.

Do not let the idea of non-consensual PvP scare you. Iv'e spend the last few years building up guilds full of people who "hate" PvP and essentially taking free range carebears and turning them into Carebears with teeth.

As far as your thing about PvP servers, the entire game is based in PvP, however, its also based in PvE.

If you are worried about losing gear you won't. You only lose gear if you are corruption.

If you want to know more about the pvp check out: https://www.ashes101.com/pvp

and then hit me up with what questions you have.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • No thanks, forced pvp is not me. I will look for something else.

And honestly i dont think future of mmorpg's are pvp only. Its just that pvp games have been in focus alot this last decade. There is plenty of people who rather not pvp, or atleast only pvp when in mood for it.

There will allways be a need for BOTH options i think.

Besides i said this game could us a "opt in" for pvp. Not a pvp server. But yea i talked about both options in older days working just fine. I proberly said it poorly with my limited english skill.

Like SWG hade for exampel ... game with "opt in" pvp for those wanting to take bases and such. Yet those who only traded or did pve could do there thing still without getting interupted.

But hey if they only want pvp , go ahead. If you look at previous "pvp only" games you will see em in poor state or no longer around. Because those who play pvp games change when a new and better comes. Just look at all those shooting games how quickly there numbers drops when another game comes.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Though PvP is a constant looming risk when you're out in the world, the corruption system serves as a deterrent to PvP for the sake of ganking.
    k2U15J3.png
    Like SWG hade for exampel ... game with "opt in" pvp for those wanting to take bases and such. Yet those who only traded or did pve could do there thing still without getting interupted.
    Play World of Warcraft. That’s how it works. PvP exists in battlegrounds and arenas, and open world PvP exists if you turn your flag on or attack an NPC or PvP-flagged player of the opposing faction. A great deal, maybe even a majority of the major MMOs work that way. If you want to play a game like that, you have plenty of choices.

I’ll be honest, that’s the kind of game I’m drawn to. I don’t care much for PvP. But I like the idea behind its implementation in AoC. I like it enough to spend hundreds of dollars and get a lifetime sub. I’m emotionally and especially financially invested in the success of this game. I hope it not only meets, but exceeds my expectations.

Hhak63P.png
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No thanks, forced pvp is not me. I will look for something else.

And honestly i dont think future of mmorpg's are pvp only. Its just that pvp games have been in focus alot this last decade. There is plenty of people who rather not pvp, or atleast only pvp when in mood for it.

There will allways be a need for BOTH options i think.

Besides i said this game could us a "opt in" for pvp. Not a pvp server. But yea i talked about both options in older days working just fine. I proberly said it poorly with my limited english skill.

But hey if they only want pvp , go ahead. If you look at previous "pvp only" games you will see em in poor state or no longer around. Because those who play pvp games change when a new and better comes. Just look at all those shooting games how quickly there numbers drops when another game comes.

You are definitely right that pvp exclusive players seem to have less longevity in mmos, especially when the newest thing drops. But i would repeat what the other guys have said so far. You said you like kind of running a shop, and crafting, which so far look like they're going to be very important systems, and not an after thought. If you stayed in your node, and always paid others for mats, and didn't travel for new schematics or plans, i guess you could avoid most of the pvp. But you would lose out on so much. Exploring would have no suspense, your actions would have so much less impact.

But if you absolutely can't stand any pvp at all, yeah this won't be the game for you. But better you find that out now than be disappointed later.
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited June 2020

Your other option is to work with other players to do your gathering and transportation so you can focus on the business side of things like manning a shop in town.

The artisan system has gathering, processing, and crafting professions, but you can only master one of these trees. If you want to be a master weaponsmith or alchemist, you can't be a master gatherer too. So you'd need to rely on other players at some point anyway.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    66e29d35df7db5f26a1fb90164a8e448.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • AdartaerAdartaer Member
    edited June 2020
    I hope you can't avoid PvP at all. And I hope it never change and Devs never change their mind.
  • You can't avoid PvP.
    Yes, you can stay in your city, never get out, buy raw materials, craft items, sell them.
    Guess what? If your city is attacked you will lose stuff too if the city is destroyed.
    Can you get away from the city? Sure, try your luck using a Caravan to move all your goods.
    Are you at risk? Hell yeah.
    I freaking love this game.

Honestly, there's plenty of games with no PvP. Wow, FFXIV, and many others.

Why people keep making PvP games? Because it creates conflict and your decisions matter. In a PvE game you're just a passive consumer of what the devs create for you.

If I find someone "stealing" in a farming spot, I might decide to kill them, to actually own that spot for an hour or more. That creates tension, possibly a skirmish and might escalate to a war. Just for a farming spot! It's incredible and interesting.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am probably going to have one alt that is a crafter only. He will stay in a city and craft (or on the freehold, haven't decided). I will support sieges by crafting weapons and in the final hour with my life.

I know that there will be times when I have to fight, but being a merchant or crafter can keep you busy without combat a good amount of the time.
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I don't think you have to PVP at all in this game. You can hire mercenaries to protect your caravan or just live in a node with fast travel and never leave the zoi. Node attacks will be posted in advance so you can just go fishing for a few hours until it's over. You don't need to participate in arenas. Dungeons and horde mode are PVE.
    fNX2ISa.png

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    sunfrog wrote: »
    I don't think you have to PVP at all in this game. You can hire mercenaries to protect your caravan or just live in a node with fast travel and never leave the zoi. Node attacks will be posted in advance so you can just go fishing for a few hours until it's over. You don't need to participate in arenas. Dungeons and horde mode are PVE.

You can still be attacked in your nodes ZoI.

Perhaps not in the actual city of your node, but in the ZoI you can.

If you are out somewhere where you can fish, you are somewhere you can be attacked.
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    But then the attacker gets corrupted and you only drop a couple of fish.
    fNX2ISa.png

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    sunfrog wrote: »
    But then the attacker gets corrupted and you only drop a couple of fish.
    But if this isn't a thing that you are trying to avoid, then most of what you talked about in the above post is pointless.

Caravans, sieges and guild/node wars are the only time you are not in that exact situation - and these things are easy enough to avoid.

You literally have no reason at all to not go anywhere you want, in to or out of any nodes ZoI you want.

Fact is, anywhere you go in Ashes someone can attack you if they wish - including inside dungeons.
    If you want to totally avoid PVP, you can just stay in your freehold all the time. They have said that you are safe in your freehold other than the couple of hours after a successful siege. And for that time, you can just log off.
    And have another (fight-ier) character drop the new freehold.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you want to totally avoid PVP, you can just stay in your freehold all the time. They have said that you are safe in your freehold other than the couple of hours after a successful siege. And for that time, you can just log off.

Even then you would have to go into the world and level, as well as earn the means to even purchase the freehold in the first place. You will likely not be able to entirely avoid pvp
    Amist wrote: »

Even then you would have to go into the world and level, as well as earn the means to even purchase the freehold in the first place. You will likely not be able to entirely avoid pvp

You can always use alts to get the Freehold, and why do you need to level? @Steven did say that you can exist and be successful just in a city. You will be getting some experience from crafting. Just stay as a 'combat' level 1...
  • BlackBronyBlackBrony Member
    edited June 2020
    I am probably going to have one alt that is a crafter only. He will stay in a city and craft (or on the freehold, haven't decided). I will support sieges by crafting weapons and in the final hour with my life.

I know that there will be times when I have to fight, but being a merchant or crafter can keep you busy without combat a good amount of the time.

Hm, something you need to check, but it's not that simple to transfer mats between alts, I'm not sure, but I need to check a lil better

Nodes advance to the first stage quickly. This enables NPC services such as vending or banking items.[30]

Banking between characters will likely be restricted to Furniture and completed items.[31]
    A warehouse ability may enable a player to transfer non-material goods between alternate characters. This excludes resources, materials or anything that relies on the caravan system.[32]

From https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alts
    I never said that I was going to transfer materials between my characters (I already know about the limitations of intra-character transferring). There will be trading in game. If I am one of the main crafters in the guild, I am sure that I will be supplied with all the mats I need to make the items for the guildmates.

Thanks for the idea! I may just turn my freehold into the main crafting site for the guild! Then a bunch of us can craft some days, while our alts fight the other days.
    Amist wrote: »

You can always use alts to get the Freehold, and why do you need to level? @Steven did say that you can exist and be successful just in a city. You will be getting some experience from crafting. Just stay as a 'combat' level 1...

I look forward to playing a game where you can relax and do what you want in a city, but when you leave, you have that extra feeling of danger, not just from NPC enemies but other players. I mean, doesn't that seem pretty cool? That's one thing I miss from old school MMOs... There were places in the original EQ that just terrified me, especially at lower levels, like running through Kithicor Forest at night when all the undead spawned and you just ran through as fast as you could just trying to not get killed.

Hhak63P.png
  • MaytreyaMaytreya Member
    edited July 2020
    I played UO from 2000 to 2013, and I can't live without the adrenaline rush an open world's dangers offer. I resent ganking and preventing low levels from progressing, but I love fair PvP. I want to know there's danger out there when I venture out to gather resources or kill mobs. I've had the most fun in MMOs while tiptoeing, ecaping a PK or even beating one in combat. Great fun!

As for OP's dilemma, I really wish you find an MMO to your liking if this one isn't going to cut it. Recently MMOs have been garbage but this one? If they pull it off, it will be the best one out there.
    "Sleep just isn't sleep anymore. It's an escape."