Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Phoenix Radio Online - An AoC Themed Radio - Testing

Beck AltarrBeck Altarr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Greetings!

I would like to introduce to you Phoenix Radio Online or PRO.

Phoenix is an Online Radio that will be playing content 24/7 themed for AoC.

Currently in a test mode, there isn't a whole lot of content yet so it may sound repetitive as we work to build up the inventory of music, commercials and other content, this is where we hope you will help!

PRO will have Out of Character and In Character hosts and shows made up of community members just like you. We are a For Community by Community concept which means anyone can submit ideas, recordings, apply to join our all volunteer staff as On Air voice talent or help behind the scenes.

This is the PERFECT time to get involved as AoC heads into Alpha 1 testing.

We hope to help tell the story of AoC through characters via Radio Dramas and some in character hosts. We want to share the world as if we lived in it, not just questing and building up nodes, but how would all the systems actually work in real time, vs Game Time? Nodes level up instantly, but in our stories, just like life, it takes a little more time.

With this in mind we wont be basing our stories on any 1 server, but will be looking at events and player actions over many to take the most interesting of them and weaving them into our narratives. You may even have your character featured with a chance to voice it yourself!

We also will have Open Discussion Panels where we can discuss the game and events, talk with Dev's (at some point), interview Guild leaders and feature other community projects.

Phoenix Radio Online is not out to make a profit, but will rely on community support. All the On Air Commercials will be either Fake or AoC related, such as Guild Recruitment Ads, Player In Game Shop Ads and Community Resource Ads and the like. All of which will be available free to those who wish to submit their own produced ads.

We will have some level of quality control and will help those who need a little assistance in their production or writing of Ads.

Most importantly: What Do You Want To Hear?

Right now we are playing License Free music. Licensing will be one of our biggest costs so before we jump into that billing cycle, we want to make sure we are catering to our fans and future fans first.

Please share your top 3 Favorite Bands or 5 Favorite Songs.

We can't guarantee to play them all, and we will do our best to keep the radio 16+ (which mean no excessive profanity or content that is promoting Drugs or Abuse of people.) We know some language will slip through. We also have a pretty good sense of Humor and some of our commercials may seem a bit "edgy".

Join me for my Weekly show tonight at 7pm MST (6 pacific, 9 eastern) where I will talk a bit more about the Radio, our goals and I hope talk with some of you as well. I will be also Twitch Streaming the show (remember it's a radio program so not heavy on visuals) and you can join the chat or our Discord.

Thanks for reading. Please give us a listen and share your feed back. We are in the Alpha Stages of the Radio ourselves. If you think you can help or want to help, let me know!

phoenix.png
Alpha/Beta Tester of Many Games - Station Manger of PhoenixRadio.Online an AoC & Gamer themed online Radio. Tune In Here
Love a good story and lore.
Twitch Streamer : PRO Discord

Comments

• Options
    During my Ragnarok time there was also a radio for the game. I loved it so thumps up for doing this.

Now they had 3 Channels with different music styles.
    1 Casual
    1 Rock
    1 Anime as the game was anime styled it was quick popular.

Nowdays i hear mostly Epic music mixes.
    Like this ones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeXoACwOT1o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7SGn0MeP0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJBLzWvCK-g&t=3299s

Or i make my own playlist mostly from Two steps from Hell
    Still waiting for game to do their OST with TSFH

As for top 5 Songs

Two Steps From Hell - Unbreakable (feat. Merethe Soltvedt)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-lwIGwp9Y

Two Steps From Hell - Bravestone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK85JgT5e0Q

Two Steps From Hell - Victory
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKRUPYrAQoE

Two Steps From Hell - Never Back Down
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZTkg8GGEOo

Two Steps From Hell - Sariel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMPefT3IUZ8

Yah i do like TSFH
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Xenotor wrote: »
    During my Ragnarok time there was also a radio for the game. I loved it so thumps up for doing this.

Now they had 3 Channels with different music styles.
    1 Casual
    1 Rock
    1 Anime as the game was anime styled it was quick popular.

Nowdays i hear mostly Epic music mixes.
    Like this ones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeXoACwOT1o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7SGn0MeP0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJBLzWvCK-g&t=3299s

Or i make my own playlist mostly from Two steps from Hell
    Still waiting for game to do their OST with TSFH

As for top 5 Songs

Two Steps From Hell - Unbreakable (feat. Merethe Soltvedt)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-lwIGwp9Y

Two Steps From Hell - Bravestone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK85JgT5e0Q

Two Steps From Hell - Victory
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKRUPYrAQoE

Two Steps From Hell - Never Back Down
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZTkg8GGEOo

Two Steps From Hell - Sariel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMPefT3IUZ8

Yah i do like TSFH

If there is enough support I could look at adding other channels. Same/similar content different music and possibly hosts. Definitely an interesting idea.
    phoenix.png
    Alpha/Beta Tester of Many Games - Station Manger of PhoenixRadio.Online an AoC & Gamer themed online Radio. Tune In Here
  • Options
    KneczhevoKneczhevo Member
    edited August 2020
    Good idea. I recall a group running a radio station during SWG development and it was fun for the fanbois, hearing all frothing over your speakers.

Personally I listen to StreamingSoundtracks.com. great station for all your movie and gaming listening fixations. Check it out. :)
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I think this may be too early to do.

There was a game called Fallen Earth - it was a mmorpg post apocalypse. it was a ok game for what it is, just not enough fund to make it come to life I suppose. BUT THE RP COMMUNITY on this game was probably one of the best RP community I have ever been in. There was a guy who ran a radio show ala "The Warrior" Style and he would break character once a week to host a DJ in-game parrty meet/greet/RP with other RPers.
    We all congregated on a RP forum site - people uploaded their stories, diaries, videos, news event, calendar events, etc.
    I may be looking into doing some type of radio show perhaps or node news - uncertain yet. But starting up one now - all you can really do is just music. the radio personality is what makes it and ties up to the theme and feel of the world. Many of us dont know how the world feels yet. but good luck to you - i'll keep an eye on your progress and hope to see more of this type of thing pop up for different server/nodes.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    novercalis wrote: »
    I think this may be too early to do.

There was a game called Fallen Earth - it was a mmorpg post apocalypse. it was a ok game for what it is, just not enough fund to make it come to life I suppose. BUT THE RP COMMUNITY on this game was probably one of the best RP community I have ever been in. There was a guy who ran a radio show ala "The Warrior" Style and he would break character once a week to host a DJ in-game parrty meet/greet/RP with other RPers.
    We all congregated on a RP forum site - people uploaded their stories, diaries, videos, news event, calendar events, etc.
    I may be looking into doing some type of radio show perhaps or node news - uncertain yet. But starting up one now - all you can really do is just music. the radio personality is what makes it and ties up to the theme and feel of the world. Many of us dont know how the world feels yet. but good luck to you - i'll keep an eye on your progress and hope to see more of this type of thing pop up for different server/nodes.

There is a lot of opportunities to have content. With no NDA we will see a lot of story and content we wouldn't otherwise see a lot earlier than usual.

Also where we are entering this game we come from a different world where for thousands of years we have lived there are lots of stories to tell and to introduce our characters and tell the stories leading up to the portals opening.

We could also try and figure out what is happening on Verra as well leading up to the Portals opening. Do they know it's going to happen? Do the Tulnar have anything to do with it or are they just as surprised?
    phoenix.png
  • Options
    3am3am Member
    edited August 2020
    @Beck Altarr
    Might I suggest something like snap judgement? It's an npr broadcast that sets unique stories to a beat. It's an hour long special with a few short stories. You could delve into some of the more active players MMO lives and trade some crazy game stories over a light track. Radio first then podcast it to create multiple outlets for a single product. Also there are alot of creative players I would reach out and see if any of them have any interest in contributing music.
  • Options
    3am wrote: »
    @Beck Altarr
    Might I suggest something like snap judgement? It's an npr broadcast that sets unique stories to a beat. It's an hour long special with a few short stories. You could delve into some of the more active players MMO lives and trade some crazy game stories over a light track. Radio first then podcast it to create multiple outlets for a single product. Also there are alot of creative players I would reach out and see if any of them have any interest in contributing music.

That's why I am posting - in hopes that some creative people would like to join or contribute to the radio.

I am not American so I have no idea about npr but it sounds interesting.

All the Shows, with out music, will be put up on my Youtube Channel. If the Radio get's poplar enough I may start a Youtube channel for the Radio. I also hope to have it uploaded for Pod casts at some point as well. Right now I am working with a very small group to bring this too life and there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes.
    phoenix.png
  • Options
    Another suggestion would be old game soundtracks.
    Games like Ragnarok Online or the old zelda games etc.
    Most of the older titles had great soundtracks that and it is always nice to listen to them from time to time.
    Just dont make a playlist purely of old soundtracks. Play normal music and bam suddenly you hear the game soundtrack and start remembering the adventure you had with that game.

Nostalgia in short.
    Its powerful when used wisely but looses quickly if overused.
    The same really for the so called top 10 charts.
    They are good songs most of the time but boy hearing them 10000 times each day really goes on my nerves.
    Thats why i dont listen to most radio channels anymore.

All time hits are something you could add.
    Not sure how exensive that would be but the old songs from linking park , enimem, qeen etc mixed in is allways great.

Now another thing the Radio in Ragnarok online did, was to have certain themed hours each day.
    A "combat songs only" hour during Guild vs Guild time or "Nostalgia" Where only game soundtracks from older games would be played etc

As for more songs here are some Anime songs that are really great:
    Ghost in the Shell Inner Universe. ( I belive its sang in 8 different languishes)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIVgSuuUTwQ
    EGOIST - Monster without a name
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9WcG0OMElo
    Aldnoah Zero - No Differences
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IiSi2Y1Eg

For me a Radio channel need to follow a rough theme at least for an hour.
    Right now it seems a mix of a lot different genres and thats trowing me off a bit.
    Not bad music but not something i really like to listen to.

BTW does it help you to have the radio running in the background right now?
    I dont see any commercials other then the Phönix Radio shoutout so i do wonder how you finance it right now.

The Ragnarok radio had a couple of sponsors for a time that would get a short 10 second commercial roughly every 10 min.
    You could ask Intrepid for some small support. Maybe they do it, maybe they don't. Asking doesn't hurt.
    Other then that Hardware shops may sponsor you if you can proof enough number of listeners as their target audience us usually PC gamers.
    Maybe ask Youtubers that cover AoC for support in exchange for shutouts to their channel.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Another suggestion would be old game soundtracks.
    Games like Ragnarok Online or the old zelda games etc.
    Most of the older titles had great soundtracks that and it is always nice to listen to them from time to time.
    Just dont make a playlist purely of old soundtracks. Play normal music and bam suddenly you hear the game soundtrack and start remembering the adventure you had with that game.

For me a Radio channel need to follow a rough theme at least for an hour.
    Right now it seems a mix of a lot different genres and thats trowing me off a bit.
    Not bad music but not something i really like to listen to.

BTW does it help you to have the radio running in the background right now?
    I dont see any commercials other then the Phönix Radio shoutout so i do wonder how you finance it right now.

The Ragnarok radio had a couple of sponsors for a time that would get a short 10 second commercial roughly every 10 min.
    You could ask Intrepid for some small support. Maybe they do it, maybe they don't. Asking doesn't hurt.
    Other then that Hardware shops may sponsor you if you can proof enough number of listeners as their target audience us usually PC gamers.
    Maybe ask Youtubers that cover AoC for support in exchange for shutouts to their channel.

As stated the radio is in a "test" mode. I'm making sure it stays connected and songs are playing and changing some of the clock wheel coding so it doesn't need constant monitoring. It's currently playing 1 commercial each rotation. I don't have very many yet as I have not started to write and produce AoC themed ads. I am re-purposing some from the last iteration of Online Radio I ran and a few ads from some pop culture.

Right now I am not adding any licensed music. As I have mentioned above, that's a cost I don't need to assume right yet until I feel I have gotten the programming down.

There will be "theme" nights or times where you will hear more of a type of music than at other times. More in the evenings the rotation will eventually have more Punk and Hard Rock/Metal. Mornings might be more easy rock/listening.

The station currently has about 60% Game themed music in the way of Miracle of Sound. I am not sure I will add much for pure sound tracks from games as they tend to be shorter clips or very long, I'll likely use those for back ground music for commercials and show and so on.

The idea is to sound as much like a legitimate radio station as is reasonable, depending on community involvement. The last thing PRO should sound like is a Spotify play list.

As for funding, I'm footing the bill myself. As the station grows the community will either support it with donations or not. All ad space is free, if someone wants to have a commercial played and toss us something as a Tip it will be greatly appreciated.

No Video game company would every support an online radio ran by the community financially. Too much legal liability when it comes to the music Licensing. I am in Canada so I only need to pay the Canadian fees, but if IS/AOC were to "fund" the radio then it would be at risk for U.S. and E.U. Licencing fees which can get VERY pricey because those system would base listener ship on Player accounts of the game, not the actual listener numbers. It's better for them to offer support in other ways, like participating in interviews and being fans of the station.

I may look to have some Banners on the web site via google ads and I will be posting clips from Radio shows on Youtube so if my channel grows enough to monetize it that will help. I may also do a Subscribe Start where people can help support the Radio Dramas and get early access to episodes or help with some of the writing/voicing.

For now I am not worried about money. I want to see if we can build the radio to something the community really likes and supports through being fans first. I expect it to take a few months to catch on at the most. We'll see how things are then.

I am not looking to piggy back off of other Youtubers. Out side of reaction vids for my own channel. I want to grow naturally and organically within the community. That's the most honest test of worthiness.

For now, consider joining our discord. You have some good ideas and ideas are great foundations to build from. https://discord.gg/Xp8uBw9
    phoenix.png
  • Options
    @Xenotor - I've added some Two Steps from Hell, your suggestions plus a couple more I thought sounded good. I couldn't find the first one written with the Ft. So I didn't grab that one just in case it is a different cut you like.

I also got some Wind Rose - Dwarven Heavy Metal themed.

I've been adding a lot more music the last couple days and moving things around so it should start sounding more fleshed out.

For some reason my Request Widget isn't working... You can use this page to listen and make requests.
    phoenix.png
  • Options
    This reminds me of Habbo Hotel and the fansites they used to have where kids would actually learn how to DJ and do it whilst people played. Good times.

PS: Yes, I was a cool DJ at 12 okay.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    @Xenotor - I've added some Two Steps from Hell, your suggestions plus a couple more I thought sounded good. I couldn't find the first one written with the Ft. So I didn't grab that one just in case it is a different cut you like.

I've been adding a lot more music the last couple days and moving things around so it should start sounding more fleshed out.

For some reason my Request Widget isn't working... You can use this page to listen and make requests.

I see you have picked quit a few TSFH Songs. Do you have to pay for them? I know That the orchestra is putting their Songs on youtube without Adds.

I didnt know it was that hard to put up an international Radio. Yet knowing how greedy the German licensing company is, i can imagine the EU as a whole not being much different.

As for Discord. I rarely use Discord but i joined in anyway.
    Got some water damage in my Room after the last rain.
    Still il try to give some feedback here. That should bumb the topic back to the top for a short time.

I just Listened to your Guild Promotion Add. Its a bit to lengthy for my liking. Long Ads have to be funny but what is funny is different from person to person.
    But i really like the idea.
    There is still a lot of time to release so i can see quit a few guilds signing up in the Member war that is going to happen as we get closer to release.
    In Ragnarok Radio there were always a few guilds doing Recruitment shout outs.

The Request is a nice function. It would however be really cool to see what songs were requested already and how many times.
    Not just from me but from others as well.

Back to ADDs.
    That you have no Problem Financing right now is good. Still its good to set up Foundations or just Brain storm ideas for the future.
    I saw the "Buy now" button below the song played.
    Good idea. Maybe you can add one directly to Amazon store page for some $$ per from Mr super rich guy.

I do fully support your idea of growing slowly.
    Keep it Up
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I see you have picked quit a few TSFH Songs. Do you have to pay for them? I know That the orchestra is putting their Songs on youtube without Adds.

I didnt know it was that hard to put up an international Radio. Yet knowing how greedy the German licensing company is, i can imagine the EU as a whole not being much different.

As for Discord. I rarely use Discord but i joined in anyway.
    Got some water damage in my Room after the last rain.
    Still il try to give some feedback here. That should bumb the topic back to the top for a short time.

I just Listened to your Guild Promotion Add. Its a bit to lengthy for my liking. Long Ads have to be funny but what is funny is different from person to person.
    But i really like the idea.
    There is still a lot of time to release so i can see quit a few guilds signing up in the Member war that is going to happen as we get closer to release.
    In Ragnarok Radio there were always a few guilds doing Recruitment shout outs.

The Request is a nice function. It would however be really cool to see what songs were requested already and how many times.
    Not just from me but from others as well.

Back to ADDs.
    That you have no Problem Financing right now is good. Still its good to set up Foundations or just Brain storm ideas for the future.
    I saw the "Buy now" button below the song played.
    Good idea. Maybe you can add one directly to Amazon store page for some $$ per from Mr super rich guy.

I do fully support your idea of growing slowly.
    Keep it Up

The buy now buttons are part of the software. But it's giving me trouble on my page vs the supplied page. Pretty sure they make a cut from any purchases. I'm currently on a cloud plan but might go back to the old system I used to use. With that system I can list the popularity of requests. It just means running the radio from a pc in my closet.

Benefits to that is I know how it works. For me it's simpler but no remote DJ/hosts. If the power goes out so does the modem. Even with battery backups.

Yes I do my best to buy all the music I play. Unless the artist offers it free. Which some have that I'm playing now.

If anyone knows how to make php web pages querry a database on a different computer then we could do some cool stuff with radio info on the page.

The "promote your guild ad" is an oldie. Probably 4 years old at least. It's funny in context that goblins are stupid. I'm looking to see if I can shave it down a bit as parts don't have context and the two characters are not part of this project. They were from a time before.

Feed back is always appreciated. As more people from the community come on board as staff and helpers it will get better. Between work and streaming I'm doing my best to test things out and write new AoC themed commercials.

Securavan Ensurance is one I'm working on writing as well as one for a Bar in Sanctus where one of the Radio Dramas have characters that visit a d will have so.e fun colourfull side characters.

Remember anyone can submit ideas or even fully produced content for inclusion. If it sounds ds good and makes sense it will likely air.

As far as adds/revenue, I am not comfortable taking money from people with the Radio still being unproven to the community. If the community doesn't gravitate to it or supporting through listening, comments/ideas/suggestions and all that and shows no real interest then it's unfair for the few who might otherwise financially support it.

Thus far I'd say the interest is low and I don't think people are understanding that Yes, it's relatively early for the GAME, but not too early for story telling from now until launch to keep everyone interested/invested. Radio Drama's take weeks to do at the start.
    phoenix.png