Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

1 VS 1 really?

13»

Comments

• Options
    HansrutgerHansrutger Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    valerian wrote: »
    What imaginary people? you mean people who like to pvp solo with their favorite class? And the fact that people love to beat up on others in PVP purely from a skill point of view? 1vs1? You seem a little lost yourself. Now, this game might not be for everyone but i already states it's not game breaking for me. But im viewing this as a long term investment say 6 years from now when classes usually experience balance changes.

People are always imaginary when you "speak FOR other people", just let people give their opinions by themselves. If you so much respect other people's opinions, show it in your replies as well. What you are doing by telling me that I'm lost is that you're losing the chance of even convincing me of why 1 vs 1 balancing is better than n vs n balancing.

But whatever floats your boat, push people out of the topic rather than convincing them. I'm out.
  • Options
    rodzorrodzor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    That's a problem
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Not balancing for 1v1 literally only means they will not base their balancing decisions on any particular class being able to fight any other class.

If your Bard gets popped by a Rogue who caught them without buffs up, that doesn’t mean Bard is weak or Rogue is overpowered.

If your Mage kites out a Tank and kills them, that doesn’t mean Mage needs less CC or Tank needs more gap closers.

Classes will have distinct and intended weaknesses. Classes will have distinct and intended strengths. That’s what it means to not balance around 1v1s.

As for “what if I’m alone”, well if the matchup is bad for you then you probably lose unless you outskill or outlevel the other player. If the matchup is good for you, then you probably win if the person doesn’t outskill or outlevel you. Ashes isn’t particularly a solo-friendly game, if you’ve noticed.

There are lots of assumptions there, overtime if they start balancing classes having in mind only for group game play then they will fall into the trap of making some classes better in 1 vs 1 un-intentionally. A good developer should have in mind for both types of gameplay.

For example, if the community demands to buff the gap closing and damage of a rogue because in a group setting the mages always easily nuke the rogues 1st and have no chance then that will also buff the rogue for 1 vs 1 because the game doesn't distinguish if your playing as a group or not?

Also, you mention that i noticed that ashes isn't particularly solo-friendly game and yet there is 1 vs 1 scenarios in any mmorpg you play. And there isn't alot of combat footage yet for the mmorpg and lots can change between now and then.

Some classes are literally made to be the best in 1v1 scenarios, 1v1 fights are not what this game is about solely. If a necromancer beats every other class in a 1v1 cool, who cares, if all you care about is being able to beat people in 1v1s in an MMORPG where there is supposed to be a million things to do and explore, then play a necro(or best 1v1 class). Every class should not play the same, that makes your choices pointless when picking a class, if i pick a class I want to feel different than any other class.
  • Options
    With all do respect, I'm really trying hard to see when I denied people to voice their opinion in this thread. I mean I spent hours upon hours upon hours thinking about your comment even when ...........................................................
    1. Eating breakfast
    2. Eating lunch
    3. Eating supper
    4. Shopping
    5. Haircut
    6. Lawnmower
    7. Running errands (general)
    8. At my job (i even showed it to colleges and even they didn't find anything disparaging)
    9. At family settings (nope, i'm all good. nothing unusual in my replies)
    10. Jogging with GF
    11. At the gym
    12. etc ...........

So, I'll give it another shot. You log in to the game. You just want to play solo. No guild or group events. All you want to do is maybe do some solo quests and grind for mats and work on your artisan or even hunt monsters. During your travels, you see some other players here and there doing their own thing. Some of them are in group and some just solo'ing. You end up finding a spot for good gatherables and spend maybe a good 2 hours massing those mats. And see another player nearby and decides to kill you and take a chance for a little corruption in favor of some of your belongings. Obviously, you have a choice of fighting or running away.

Some people will take that risk because it's an open world PVP despite the fact that the corruption system is there to mitigate on abusing it. Now there's alot of solo players out there and not because they don't like grouping but because they "feel" like solo'ing sometimes. And unlike WoW, where PVP occurs in contested zones only I believe Ashes is everywhere except maybe your house. So this type of scenario might happen more often than not even though Ashes is trying to cater to group content. And let's not forget the 1 vs 1 arenas? Should they really keep those if they want group PVP?

So as a purely speculative reasoning and I'm not here to convince anyone but perhaps over the years when people gather their own experiences and stories about Ashes. The community might turn around and say, how about giving my class some love in 1 vs 1 situations since I lost valuable gatherables during the years and I'm afraid of solo'ing once in awhile. Maybe give me more speed or damage against a certain class and this will eventually open the box despite the fact that balancing classes have grouping in mind.

Now this scenario might not happen, again it depends on what the threshold is 1 vs 1 and will the rock / paper / sizzor be a thin margin between a victory or not against same level toons.

I understand that right now on the surface the community is hyped and looking forward to group PVP.

S3gcPiA.jpg
  • Options
    rodzorrodzor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    With all do respect, I'm really trying hard to see when I denied people to voice their opinion in this thread. I mean I spent hours upon hours upon hours thinking about your comment even when ...........................................................
    1. Eating breakfast
    2. Eating lunch
    3. Eating supper
    4. Shopping
    5. Haircut
    6. Lawnmower
    7. Running errands (general)
    8. At my job (i even showed it to colleges and even they didn't find anything disparaging)
    9. At family settings (nope, i'm all good. nothing unusual in my replies)
    10. Jogging with GF
    11. At the gym
    12. etc ...........

So, I'll give it another shot. You log in to the game. You just want to play solo. No guild or group events. All you want to do is maybe do some solo quests and grind for mats and work on your artisan or even hunt monsters. During your travels, you see some other players here and there doing their own thing. Some of them are in group and some just solo'ing. You end up finding a spot for good gatherables and spend maybe a good 2 hours massing those mats. And see another player nearby and decides to kill you and take a chance for a little corruption in favor of some of your belongings. Obviously, you have a choice of fighting or running away.

Some people will take that risk because it's an open world PVP despite the fact that the corruption system is there to mitigate on abusing it. Now there's alot of solo players out there and not because they don't like grouping but because they "feel" like solo'ing sometimes. And unlike WoW, where PVP occurs in contested zones only I believe Ashes is everywhere except maybe your house. So this type of scenario might happen more often than not even though Ashes is trying to cater to group content. And let's not forget the 1 vs 1 arenas? Should they really keep those if they want group PVP?

So as a purely speculative reasoning and I'm not here to convince anyone but perhaps over the years when people gather their own experiences and stories about Ashes. The community might turn around and say, how about giving my class some love in 1 vs 1 situations since I lost valuable gatherables during the years and I'm afraid of solo'ing once in awhile. Maybe give me more speed or damage against a certain class and this will eventually open the box despite the fact that balancing classes have grouping in mind.

Now this scenario might not happen, again it depends on what the threshold is 1 vs 1 and will the rock / paper / sizzor be a thin margin between a victory or not against same level toons.

I understand that right now on the surface the community is hyped and looking forward to group PVP.

The situation you mentioned seems like healthy banter/fighting, keeps gathering less monotonous. If it became an issue the corruption system should deal with them if you do not fight back. They will get hunted down. If you wanted to fight and you were on your healer and they were on a fighter, you should lose 100%, change to another toon and go back and kill them.
  • Options
    This is just something they aren't going to budge on because this is like a core philosophy of the game. I don't know how they are going to patch in the future so I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt that if a class does something too well they will probably balance it so it's fine. They aren't considering 1 vs 1 balance at all though.

Still if you think you got good ideas no reason in keeping quiet. Just know that certain issues will be considered more than others.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East