Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapon Archetypes?

What types of weapons can we expect to see in the game?

What type of weapon would you want to see implemented?

I personally really enjoy the spear archetype, but don't see it implemented well often. Usually it just ends up being a weaker version of swords.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hope they still think of the book on a chain. Would love to see it in action.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I personally would like to see most weapon types in the game so players can live out the fantasy they want rather than be forced into a specific weapon type because that is what their class uses.

For me personally, I'd like to have the option to use a two-handed or even two one-handed weapons as a tank, or even a quarterstaff.
  • Options
    Fighter or Rogue with a Greatsword (2H) for me.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    UlquiorraUlquiorra Member
    edited August 2020
    Dual wield staves.
    Anything that isn't medieval weapon. For a game with 64 classes, they really need to be creative with the weapons if they want class diversity.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Types of weapons in the game:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons

Weapon I would want to see implemented:
    They got me covered. Literally all of my favorite weapons are on the list. The potion launcher looks stupid, and out of place. I am going to try hard to not complain about it. It's not my world.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    The potion launcher probably won’t be in the final game. So you are good to go.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I hope they still think of the book on a chain. Would love to see it in action.

How is that a weapon? Would you swing the book around like a flail?

I'm personally a big fan of glaives and sword staffs. A good spear with a cool tip works too. Just as long as it's not exclusively packaged within the naginata/samurai/ninja aedthetic.
  • Options
    I would like to try 2 shields, one in each hand. As a summoner it could work.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    How is that a weapon? Would you swing the book around like a flail?

Yeah I didn't initiate the idea, I just read on the wiki it had been considered. You could put a law book on a chain and strike with the law lol
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    rodzorrodzor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    As long as they use the high fantasy/medieval type weapons I will be happy, the current list in the wiki covers all my concerns.
  • Options
    lol not sure if the game is going to allow any combination on each hand though. We just got a general idea right now. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    AeriAeri Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Marcet wrote: »
    I would like to try 2 shields, one in each hand. As a summoner it could work.

According to the wiki, dual-wielding shields won't be a thing, sadly.

That would actually be kinda viable on a Summoner, though.
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They pretty much have covered all the weapons I would want to see or expect to see. The only hole I can think of that couldn't be covered with a cosmetic or alternative in game design and get the same effect are hand to hand weapons like knuckles or Katars. That could be an interesting weapon choice for a fighter or rogue for example.
    Future Py'rai (M) - Shaman, Enchanter, Soul Weaver, Templar, or Necromancer (Pending)
    Future Crafting Plans: Herbalism > Alchemy & Scribe or Mining > Metalworking > Jewel cutting (Pending)
  • Options
    I would like to see whips or even maybe slings. B)
  • Options
    Spears.
    Warhammer and maces of proper size.
    Pavise.
    European Great swords, japanese nodachis, chinese guan dao.
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Triple wrote: »

and perhaps chains and handcuffs?

Is...is there something you would like to tell us brother Triple?

There's the cleric whip skill so far but I doubt they'll add actually whips but I can't rule it out completely since they went through the trouble of animating the cleric skill. If they take away the glow effect and tweak it a bit it could work.
    Future Py'rai (M) - Shaman, Enchanter, Soul Weaver, Templar, or Necromancer (Pending)
    Future Crafting Plans: Herbalism > Alchemy & Scribe or Mining > Metalworking > Jewel cutting (Pending)
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea of being a tank with a wand. But only if I can attach the wand to the top of my helmet. Then I can walk around crouched in plate armor and role play that I’m an M1 Abrams firing from a turret.

A whole legion of those guys in a siege would be epic.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Claws or fist weapons, it would be cool if they implement different damage types
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    sickle, war scythe, polearms, halberd would be nice to see many weapons and in a dev perspective they could have similar animations bc of irl use of the weapons
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    ataulfos wrote: »
    sickle, war scythe, polearms, halberd would be nice to see many weapons and in a dev perspective they could have similar animations bc of irl use of the weapons

Can we get DnD style with slashing, blunt, elemental, holy etc being better for different things and crit ranges and crit multipliers?
  • Options
    I'm just really hyped about Wands i just loooove Wands and i really hope they are going to stay in final game. Can't wait to create a badass mage and have a house full of magical stuff xD Also Staves, although i don't like when staves are melee weapon, i think it's better if staves were used for big ranged aoe attacks like firestorm or blizzard. They could always introduce Quarterstaff for melee monks or something.
  • Options
    lunarsky wrote: »
    Triple wrote: »

and perhaps chains and handcuffs?

Is...is there something you would like to tell us brother Triple?

There's the cleric whip skill so far but I doubt they'll add actually whips but I can't rule it out completely since they went through the trouble of animating the cleric skill. If they take away the glow effect and tweak it a bit it could work.

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2020
    There is only the Way of the Halberd. No other weapon will ever surpass it.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    whips and flails would be the first things I would think of, they are not normally in mmo's unfortunately and this game would add into the list of them not being in.

Scimitars can be under the sword classification, and would fit the desert humans well.

Hammer's don't need there own classification, it can be mixed with maces, but if it is there own, it's needs 2-hand and one-hand additions.

Buckler's should be added under the sheild catagory.

I'm not sure if poles/bow staffs are mid-evil, but if there is mid-evil ones it should be added.

There is shammans but no totems or shamman like trinket symbols things?
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    There is only the Way of the Helbard. No other weapon will ever surpass it.

Not even the Halberd? ;)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2020
    I'd like to see whips make a comback to MMO's - the only MMO I know of that has had them is EQ2, and it did a very poor job of implementing them.

Various types of polearm would be good.

I'd also like to see several types of ranged weapons, rather than just bows and crossbows. Slings, daggers and javelins would all be good here.

To me though, I wouldn't want to see any weapon added to the game that doesn't have a mechanical reason for being there.

If polearms are not mechanically different from swords, hold off on them. If slings, throwing daggers and javelins are not mechanically different from a bow, hold off on them.

If all they are is different animations over top of a different model and with a different perk system/tree, then there is no real point in adding them. It would just be adding more paths to reach the same outcome.

On the other hand, if a javelin functions as a massive hit in ranged combat, but where a player can only carry 3 javelins on them and once thrown, they are gone, then that functions vastly different to a bow, and would be used in a different manner, by players filling a different role, and as such is really worth adding to the game. It would then be an item that perhaps tanks or healers would carry in their ranged slot to use in specific circumstances, rather than a class that is actually designed around ranged combat.

Maybe a healer could equip themselves with a polearm of their choice in their main hand, a buckler in their offhand (not that you hold bucklers, but what ever), and some javelins in their ranged slot.

Edit, something else I'd like to see - that sort of fits in here - is the ability for similarly geared players to gain an additional ability when next to each other.

Think like a legion, or a phalanx. If you are in a group of players that all have the same shield and spear, get yourself in to a formation. Force the enemy to have to take on that formation before they can take on the individual players.
  • Options
    Couple of ones I'd like to see and obviously the more variety between each style of weapon the better, lots of oppurtunity to incorporate traditional styles of weaponry that behave differently mechanically.
    Flails (think witch king of angmar)
    Javelins, Charkrams, Slings, Throwing axes/kinves
    Glaives (think illidan)
    War scythes/Naginata/Spears Just general variety in the range of polearms
    Fist weapons e.g, Emeici, Katar, Wind and Fire wheels
    Honestly so many more that would be amazing in game and could be categorized then sub categorized in order to make it a more manageable system it could be similar to the class system in its hybrid capacity
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2020
    Damokles wrote: »
    There is only the Way of the Helbard. No other weapon will ever surpass it.

Not even the Halberd? ;)

You heard me right! ;D

But thank you for correcting me. I think I am simply too used to the german term for it "Hellebarde". ^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I'd like to see proper flails. It would be an interesting implementation.
  • Options
    Def a Tank Scythe for my Necromancer that gives me leech or some form of tanky life stealing ability, proc or passive