Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Clerics as Healers

2»

Comments

• Options
    loghan wrote: »
    Squeezy wrote: »
    will the secondary archetype like Fighter or Tank combined with Cleric make enough augments, combined with gear and weapon skill trees in order to be able to play a tank or a dps as a Cleric primary archetype?

This sort of question was posed to the Devs and their reply was along the lines that a Tank/Tank is going to be the clear cut best option for your group's main tank role. The pure tank combo will give them the most taunts, and tank effectiveness in general. Their intent is for a hybrid like Tank/Cleric or Cleric/Tank to still be a good tank if you're hunting average mobs but their weakness as a main tank becomes somewhat apparent against a boss. The more extreme example was also thrown out there of a Mage/Tank, and their response to that was that he definitely won't be a strong tank other than in a rare situation where a particular boss does damage not through physical but maybe something like purely ice spells and perhaps that mage has 90% ice resistance, then for that particular mob, during a particular stage in the raid fight, it might be good for that mage/tank to tank it and then later switch the aggro back over to the Tank/Tank.

Ultimately like with all forums discussions, we just have to wait and see in alpha/beta. The best thing is when we at least know the dev's intent, because even if in alpha we see Clerics are actually the best main tank, we can at least know that wasn't their intent and can expect balancing to occur.

This is quite concerning if it is true. Having it this way forces people into play a particular main class/sub class combo if they want to be effective end game.
  • Options
    As if this was not the case for the mayority of MMOs out there. We get 64 possible classes. Yes, PLEASE, make it that not all of those are viable for everything! This would mean that we do get generic and mostly similar classes because everything else would be a total nightmare balancing wise.
  • Options
    ParadoxPK wrote: »
    Clerics are going to be the big boy heals. Bards and possibly summoners will be able to do other types of healing but they will also be able to do some buffing. Remember the game is going to be based on the holy trinity. Tank, DPS, Heal. Support classes typically fall in the heal area.
    I don't agree. Everquest, the first MMO with the holy trinity, had more than tank, healer and DPS. The Rogue wasn't a 100% damage dealer. His role was more for debuff and cc. Enchanter was the magical type of offensiv supporter.

I hope really that the secondary class change also the gameplay how to heal or making damage and not just change the color of a spell.
  • Options
    I don't like how, as a healer, my options are only cleric (who is supposed to be the only real healer) and bard (which sounds like a buff/debuff character that isn't really a healer).

In Wow Classic I can be a druid, paladin, shaman, or priest and all of them play very differently.
  • Options
    Rodya wrote: »
    I don't like how, as a healer, my options are only cleric (who is supposed to be the only real healer) and bard (which sounds like a buff/debuff character that isn't really a healer).

In Wow Classic I can be a druid, paladin, shaman, or priest and all of them play very differently.

You'll have 8 different types of clerics/healers not including bard primary, which is more than the number of healing classes in Wow Classic. For instance, a cleric/summoner is a shaman, and a cleric/tank may play like a paladin. It remains to be seen how differently these play from cleric/cleric high priest, but just because they share the same primary archetype, doesn't mean that they necessarily play the same. Shamans, for instance, might utilize healing totems as their primary method of healing, instead of direct heals of high priest.
  • Options
    bigepeen wrote: »
    You'll have 8 different types of clerics/healers not including bard primary, which is more than the number of healing classes in Wow Classic.
    I would like the idea that you choose with the secondary class the kind of healer. But actually we have no information if a Cleric/Cleric really different to a Cleric/Mage.
    Only what we know is the Charge of Fighter change as Fighter/Mage to a Blink. And this doesn't sound as a big gamechanger.