Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Item Decay/Breakage/Repair vs Crafters!

LethalityLethality Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Awesome stream today!

BUT! :)

For some reason I had thought that items in AoC would eventually break, and would need to be replaced. But today on the stream, Steven talked about that not being the case. I must have been mistaken.

It seems that gear will be forever repairable, though decay won’t be trivial as it might be considered in some other games. So the focus will on resource demand and cost to repair the gear via a crafter.

I had counted on the idea that there would be a demand for new crafted items, as older items left the economy due to decay and eventual breakage.

For me, the crafter “fantasy” is really delivered by creating an item… I don’t think simply repairing one will give that same satisfaction, at least for me.

I’m not sure if this design is finalized, but if it is, I would love if the team could expand a little further on how crafters are intended to remain relevant and in demand, especially once the player base their serving more or less has the weapons and items they seemingly won’t need to replace.

I think this was my first real moment of pause with AoC… help talk me down :)
World Class Indoorsman

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It confirmed my theories from earlier. No where was it stated that items would be destroyed except through over-enchanting.

It would be too antagonistic to have to replace items due to decay. It will be difficult to maintain the items as it stands. I would imagine people will have main items and back up items. Even items they are enchanting for future use.

I do not think there is a problem.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Neurath wrote: »
    It confirmed my theories from earlier. No where was it stated that items would be destroyed except through over-enchanting.

It would be too antagonistic to have to replace items due to decay. It will be difficult to maintain the items as it stands. I would imagine people will have main items and back up items. Even items they are enchanting for future use.

I do not think there is a problem.

Yeah, I am not sure where I heard what I was thinking, unless it was very early on and has changed.

Item decay and breakage might be unthinkable in an item-hunt game (like WoW) where the primary source of power is dropped from a PvE event, at a rate of .002% - but in a game with a player-driven crafting economy, I don't think it's a problem. In fact I think it's a requirement, hence my post :)

Star Wars Galaxies has been evoked more than once by the team while describing the crafting inspiration, and in that game, items broke and had to be replaced. It was my fault to assume it would be the same here, though I don't think it's an unreasonable question to wonder why it isn't.

Without items leaving the economy, and players ever working toward acquiring the items they need, the demand for crafter services (from other players) will drop, as most players begin to settle on what they have.

Now, there may be efforts for crafters to "create 10 swords" for an NPC task, in order to supply the node for an upcoming siege. And this will be where crafters are expected to get their work, and hone their skills.

This is why I wanted to bring it up as a discussion topic, with possibly more clarification if anyone from the dev team has additional insight to offer (in their copious amounts of free time, I am sure!)

World Class Indoorsman
  • Options
    I hear ya, OP. But, I don't share your fears.

With the lack of item loss, why do we need crafters to make new ones? Thing is, items do have degradation, and crafters will be sought after, for these repairs. On top of that, the same components, required to craft, are needed to repair the item. So, in effect, the crafter is creating a new item, to replace the worn one, just not as many resources.
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, you were mistaken. Artisan classes will still be very important because it will not be possible to repair your items without them.

I'm surprised you're even bothered by this considering how much you defend New World and all its broken systems following the 180 fiesta.
  • Options
    BotBot Member
    MMOs are grindy enough, no need to add more artificial grind. If I ever had an important piece of gear I spent a lot of time getting as someone who is put off by how grindy MMOs are I'd probably uninstall right then and there and never play again.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    bot wrote: »
    MMOs are grindy enough, no need to add more artificial grind. If I ever had an important piece of gear I spent a lot of time getting as someone who is put off by how grindy MMOs are I'd probably uninstall right then and there and never play again.

This is the unfortunate effect of the player grooming that has happened due to too much WoW.

Yes, if you chased a piece of "best in slot" loot for 2 years and then it finally drops 2 weeks before the raid tier becomes invalid, sure it would suck to lose it. I hate to break it to you, but that's your artificial grind right there.

In games with player-driven economies, getting that gear will not be as difficult because players will have a hand in determining when it is available. Through their efforts and skill, none or lots of that Sword of Doom could be on the market.

And maybe you don't want yours to break so quickly? Well, then you use something else day to day, and only bring the big guns to the big fight.

I've yet to have a good explanation from an actual game designer why this would be anything but a good thing in a game where the crafters are supposedly 1st-class citizens and are the primary faucet into the player-driven economy.

I maintain that a crafting system should be designed for players that love crafting, not for players that hate it.

Hence, my concern.

World Class Indoorsman
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    I hear ya, OP. But, I don't share your fears.

With the lack of item loss, why do we need crafters to make new ones? Thing is, items do have degradation, and crafters will be sought after, for these repairs. On top of that, the same components, required to craft, are needed to repair the item. So, in effect, the crafter is creating a new item, to replace the worn one, just not as many resources.

Well, because as a pure crafter... someone coming into my shop for me to repair something doesn't really deliver on that fantasy, ya know? I mean, it's a means to an end... a way to pay the bills :)

I'll never create the next Glamdring or Excalibur that way. I need to create a *new* item, or the reforging has to be done in such a way that it offers that chance... in which case we haven't heard about that system yet (and I'd like to!)

This is just something core to the crafting fantasy that crafter players have been hoping for since Star Wars Galaxies, and since that game is often invoked by the developers here, it was something we were holding on to.

World Class Indoorsman
  • Options
    there are some good points in this thread already, especially the note that repairing items is essentially like crafting it anew, but with lower resource cost, but I have 3 things to add. 1.) high-end gear is not something you can just easily craft a bunch of for the entire server and then suddenly all demand is met for the rest of time. I imagine the process of getting the materials from raid bosses for such crafting will be slow and therefore provide a constant stream of demand for new weapons as players acquire them over time. 2.) new content. new content released post-launch can (and I'm assuming will) come with new crafting recipes. 3.) alts/new players. alts and new players provide a constant influx of new bodies requiring weapons.

I expect you're right OP in the sense that the demand for newly crafted weapons, especially those that are good but don't require super hard to obtain raid-boss materials, will be high at launch and diminish over time, that's just a natural product of the launch bottleneck which makes it so that you have thousands of new players leveling at once simply by logic of "everyone is a new player", but I expect with time crafting will still find a happy balance where services have a healthy demand from a combination of repairing broken items, crafting new items with the acquisition of new raid materials, new post-launch recipes, and the constant influx of alts and new players.
  • Options
    Yeah OP I too remember him saying items would have a finite number of repairs, and so was shocked and saddened to hear that’s not the case. I’m trying to remember where it was said, or something similar at least that had us thinking the same thing.

I’m not too worried about crafters though, even though I’d prefer items to break, as they will still be needed for repairs, and even though there is a technical limit to the amount of X item needed to gear the server, even in games with zero decay I do not see crafters becoming irrelevant at any point. (Assuming the crafting system was actually useful in the first place)

What I DO worry about though is legendary items. Steven said there may be items that are literally one of a kind per server. I LOVE that.

However what I don’t love is the idea that only one player EVER on a server will obtain it. With items breaking, that would allow a legendary item to be recycled into the loot table/be craftable again eventually (unless that player purposefully never uses it). With infinite repairs that means once somebody has that item no one else can ever have it and that to me is no good. I love the exclusivity of one at a time per server, but think one per server ever is too far.
  • Options
    There might only be one looted Legendary but crafters can craft Legendries. I do not think it will be so restrictive. In fact, if the OP is concerned by non-breakable decay, the OP should also be concerned about the limited Best in Slot potential.

Crafted Items will rival Best in Slot items (Therefore Crafted Items could also be Best in Slot) so I'm not too concerned by a lack of Legendries. Legendry is a tier and the tier can be crafted. You might not get the same visual effects or identical stats to solo legendries but you will be able to craft Legendries with legendary resources.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    There might only be one looted Legendary but crafters can craft Legendries. I do not think it will be so restrictive. In fact, if the OP is concerned by non-breakable decay, the OP should also be concerned about the limited Best in Slot potential.

Crafted Items will rival Best in Slot items (Therefore Crafted Items could also be Best in Slot) so I'm not too concerned by a lack of Legendries. Legendry is a tier and the tier can be crafted. You might not get the same visual effects or identical stats to solo legendries but you will be able to craft Legendries with legendary resources.

Except he did say only one of a kind for some legendaries.

Just because it can be crafted does not mean multiple can be crafted.
  • Options
    It remains to be seen. If only one Legendry Item can be crafted then there is profit to be made by anyone who also has the Legendary Materials because it would require Legendary Materials to repair the Legendry Items. There is definitely Lootable Legendries and they are different to Craftable Legendries so the pool of potential Legendries is rather large but still limited in massed scope.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It remains to be seen. If only one Legendry Item can be crafted then there is profit to be made by anyone who also has the Legendary Materials because it would require Legendary Materials to repair the Legendry Items. There is definitely Lootable Legendries and they are different to Craftable Legendries so the pool of potential Legendries is rather large but still limited in massed scope.

Sure but the discussion I was having is not “are there enough legendaries as a whole” it is “is it actually good gameplay to have items that only one person can ever own”. I’m not as worried as the op about long term viability of crafters in this game.

However with items breaking then eventually exclusive items could become available again. Massive gameplay, or more specifically political, implications arise when that item becomes lootable/craftable again as everyone who wants it scrambles to kill the right boss or gather the right materials. That creates drama and excitement while the hunt is on, that might be felt served wide, making the game feel more alive and interesting.

If some guy can just hold onto a one of a kind item forever that sounds terrible to me. Especially if said legendary is actually legendary in stats/use.
  • Options
    The bigger issue with breakable items from decay links in to experience debt and why we have debt and not experience loss. It is due to progress and the issue with losing progress. It does no good to be de-levelled in either levels nor gear. The main reason is because of accessibility and acquisition. If we take Steven's word then most players will not even be able to complete the toughest PvE Challenges. Therefore, it is highly conceivable that the same players will have the legendry drops whether they break or not break.

If you have the second tier down from legendries you would not want breakable items because all of your effort would be sucked into maintenance of the lower tier and you would have less opportunities to advance in tier.

There must be a balance between acquisition, resource drains and enhancements. If I have Legendries and Legendries can be enchanted, I would aim for the maximum enchantments which could destroy my legendry item. Equally, if a Legendry Item can't be enchanted, then the tier below at full enchantment level could surpass the legendry gear.

There are too many blanks right now to state how the game will pan out. It is entirely down to individual players on whether they sit on legendries or push the limits of legendries. The fact we can craft legendries and crafted items can match the Best in slot is a miracle.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    At the risk of derailing my own thread... I think "Legendary" items should not be crafted... they can only "become" Legendary through use :) But that's another topic, and perhaps for another game!

But back to the topic here, I would ask that you guys let go of some of the constraints of the games in your past and try to look at this with fresh eyes.

As a crafter, on the surface at least, it's boring to repair. There, I said it. I understand the mechanical function of it, to take resources out of the economy, and maybe apply player skill... but a crafter, to me, is a *maker*.

One thing to consider as far as supply and demand. If players are the only consumers, and players are the suppliers... well, there's always going to be waaaay more supply than demand. That only gets worse of those items never break (or are not soulbound, which serves a similar function).

To say that another way, if there are 10000 players on server, and 1000 of them are blacksmiths... that means each blacksmith only has to create 10 swords, and that's only if all of those players use swords :) You can see how crafting can hit a brick wall very very quickly without items exiting the economy in some way.

Now, Ashes may have a saving grace in the way nodes and node missions work, where crafters can supply nodes with items (and the higher quality, the better the node becomes). This could be a neat way to balance this lack of "demand" for crafted items in the game. But we just don't know it.

Not that we're going to change Steven's mind if it's set... but I do hope we will get a deep dive on the current thinking for the end-to-end Artisan system sooner rather than later!

World Class Indoorsman
  • Options
    FornaxLacertaFornaxLacerta Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Didn't I read somewhere that crafting was inspired by SWG, in which I think items eventually decayed to zero reparability?
  • Options
    Over - enchanting is were all your newly crafted gear will go.
    You got your sword +7? How about trying +8.... ops your sword broke.
    In Ragnarok online it worked like that.

Isnt hat how the enchanting system will work in this game?
    (Correct me if i am wrong but i think i heard of something like that but im not 100% sure.)
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Xenotor wrote: »
    Over - enchanting is were all your newly crafted gear will go.
    You got your sword +7? How about trying +8.... ops your sword broke.
    In Ragnarok online it worked like that.

Isnt hat how the enchanting system will work in this game?
    (Correct me if i am wrong but i think i heard of something like that but im not 100% sure.)

I don't think we have enough information about that.

But I hope to god not. That's how BDO works.

That's not how crafters want to make better weapons. Crafters should make weapons stronger. Anyone who wants to roll an enchant should not be able to.
    World Class Indoorsman
  • Options
    DecidendiDecidendi Member
    edited October 2020
    Lethality wrote: »
    Awesome stream today!

BUT! :)

For some reason I had thought that items in AoC would eventually break, and would need to be replaced. But today on the stream, Steven talked about that not being the case. I must have been mistaken.

It seems that gear will be forever repairable, though decay won’t be trivial as it might be considered in some other games. So the focus will on resource demand and cost to repair the gear via a crafter.

I had counted on the idea that there would be a demand for new crafted items, as older items left the economy due to decay and eventual breakage.

For me, the crafter “fantasy” is really delivered by creating an item… I don’t think simply repairing one will give that same satisfaction, at least for me.

I’m not sure if this design is finalized, but if it is, I would love if the team could expand a little further on how crafters are intended to remain relevant and in demand, especially once the player base their serving more or less has the weapons and items they seemingly won’t need to replace.

I think this was my first real moment of pause with AoC… help talk me down :)

From what I understand, there will be an enchant system in AoC, similar to L2 or at least similar in a way that you'll be able to 'break' your items by taking higher risks. Thus, crafters should always be in demand.
  • Options
    Firstly I have to say that I absolutely hate RNG enchanting systems like in L2, BDO and a lot of other games. In my eyes those systems are only made to needlessly extend the grinding and to sell more microtransactions and this mechanic is just plainly not fun. Also they don't really solve the crafter's problem because at the end several months after the game's launch the crafters only business will be every once in a while replacing someones high level high quality gear, new crafters will have very few or none at all to sell their wares to and leveling up crafting will just be a huge boring chore for newer players.

Now ontopic. In my opinion there is no way for crafters to stay relevant and for a true player driven economy to exist without item destruction.
    You need to have a way for items to be destroyed relative frequently so crafters can be in demand to remake them. You also need to make lower level items relevant even after months or years in the game so newer players or old players just taking up crafting can be relevant and be able to sell their wares.
    Also having low level and/or low quality items be relevant for a long time not only helps the ingame economy but can allow newer players to actually participate in the game's economy and for crafters and other players to easier experiment with tuning or changing the stat distribution in those items(if something like that is going to be possible).

I implore the developers to rethink the way crafting, enchanting and item destruction works before it's too late, if it's not already...
  • Options
    Hmm, yes I do not like that enchanting system, because it feels like -- at best -- it takes the quality of crafted gear out of the more deterministic hands of the crafter -- and into the hands of regular players (and RNG).

World Class Indoorsman
  • Options
    Lethality wrote: »
    Awesome stream today!

Perhaps there could be an option in the system to upgrade or modify equipment, or a diminishing durability cap that can only be brought back via the intervention of a crafter.