Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

corruption debuff idea?

2»

Comments

• Options
    tbh i dont really like stat dampening on corrupted, stat dampening for people who have death exp dept is ok i think though
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Mojottv wrote: »
    tbh i dont really like stat dampening on corrupted, stat dampening for people who have death exp dept is ok i think though

The reason I am a fan of it is that it is a way for the game itself to tell players that they shouldn't carry on killing players any more - they should probably start working on getting rid of some of that corruption.

Since the stat penalty associated with corruption only affects PvP combat and not PvE, and experience gain will see corruption removed, it kind of leaves players at a point eventually where literally all they would be able to do is PvE content that is the only real way they have of working off corruption without dying.

It's kind of the game gently suggesting to players that they should stop attacking players and do some PvE, and after a while it is the game yelling at players that they need to stop attacking players and do some PvE.

When you think about it, it really is an elegant system.
  • Options
    I think stat depletion is necessary to protect low level players from ganking. Without it a max level could gank low levels indefinitely, and even if you had full loot drop or item breakage or whatever on death, they could just use really crappy easily replaceable items and still body low levels, so there is really no risk on the part of the corrupted in such a scenario. The only protection low levels would have would be high-level friends. Some would argue in an mmorpg that's all the protection you should need, but I don't think that is the direction the devs want, otherwise they never would have bothered with a corruption system in the first place.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Gankez wrote: »
    the argument im making is it makes staying red an unplayable play style.. harsh penalties i can handle and gladly live with.. its a part of being red.. but nerfing stats means i HAVE to find a way around the penalties.. otherwise i cant play the game.. it doesnt prevent me from doing what i want .. it just annoys me and makes the game less fun.. but on your end. nothing changes

You can kill as many people as you want to. If you kill players that are reasonably around your level, you probably won't go red. If you hit an occasional player that won't fight back, you can just wait a short time to let the corruption go away and continue.

Steven has said that the intended balance is that players should be able to overcome up to 10 level difference by skilled play. 15 levels may be possible but very difficult. Attacked players are essentially paid to fight back due to half penalty for losing or gaining drops from the attacker for winning. Combine the potential for level difference to be overcome and being paid to fight should result in most players around your level will fight and not give you corruption.

Go nuts. PvP everywhere against players that stand a chance is virtually unrestricted by the game.

If your playstyle is to murder low levels endlessly, you are not being catered to; and, hopefully your stats will drop enough that those low levels will be able to solo you.

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Warth wrote: »
    no, people would let their friends kill them and circumvent your entire tradeoff.

This is not going to be as easy as you made it sound. First, the friends will have to be around since travel time matters. Assuming they are, when the corrupted player dies, they respawn at random locations. Travel time for the friends matters again.

There is only a chance of dropping items which means the corrupted may not drop items when killed by friends; but, drop on a death after respawning at a random location. Note: I couldn't find a link for this, but I almost certain that corrupted players cannot choose to drop their inventory on the ground.

Also, your ignoring the penalties of such an attempted trade. The penalties for death and corruption are similar and both are removed by grinding mobs. So, friend kills corrupted to remove corruption resulting in experience debt that requires grinding mobs or suffering many of the same penalties as being corrupted.

Additionally, corrupted deaths accrue experience debt 4x faster. It sounds like you might be able to grind off corruption faster than the experience debt of dying while corrupted.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_death
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption