Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Can crafters name the legendary items they craft?

VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Say, in a usual mmo where most top tier gears are boss drops, it makes sense that the boss suddenly drops a sword named Excalibur. But it seems weird to me that a crafter would discover a "recipe of Excalibur" and be able to churn out as many excaliburs as he wants (as long as he has the legendary mats).

Instead it seems more natural to me that the weaponsmith would acquire a "recipe of legendary elemental long sword", throw in the right materials and craft a "legendary holy long sword", and name it Excalibur or Durendal or Kusanagi or Grasscutter or Occam's Razor upon completion.

Judging from the wiki https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Legendary, my guess is legendary items would be extremely rare, and hopefully we won't run into an "everybody's trying to name the sword they craft Excalibur" problem.

Not sure whether this would be hard to implement, and whether it's even worth implementing. Just thought it would be a cool idea. Thoughts?

Comments

• It's a fun idea, for sure, and would be good from an RP point of view. I guess you'd have to be careful who you got to make your weapons. You wouldn't want mine, for example, cos you might find some names you'd rather not see......
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Wow, now that would be fucken cool. Wow... That would be the coolest thing ever if you could forge and name a legendary. epic.
  • Ah yes, I can see somebody getting murdered by occams razor already...
  • VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited October 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »
    You wouldn't want mine, for example, cos you might find some names you'd rather not see......

Leave it at the unnamed state, up your price, and sell the naming rights along with your legendary sword ;)
    Ahhhhh it just got more interesting now... Aim for maximum profit? Or feed your ego? (being able to name a legendary sword, or "be the legendary smith who crafted Excalibur") Chooooose!!

Or you can always prank your guild leader and name the legendary katana you've crafted (with his mats of coz) for him "ChunChunMaru"
    eq_43.png
    ... if you're sure your guild leader isn't gonna kick you and list you as KoS, that is.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Nagash 's Folly
    Type: Staff
    Stats: Strength, Agility, Endurance
    Special Trait: Heal all allies AND enemies for x amount every 3sec over the next 15sec.
    'Nagash tried to bring upon us a world of death, so we took his staff and made it create a world of life.'
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Damokles wrote: »
    @Nagash 's Folly
    Special Trait: Heal all allies AND enemies for x amount every 3sec over the next 15sec.
    'Nagash tried to bring upon us a world of death, so we took his staff and made it create a world of life.'

:D:D:D:D:D
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    You wouldn't want mine, for example, cos you might find some names you'd rather not see......

Leave it at the unnamed state, up your price, and sell the naming rights along with your legendary sword ;)
    Ahhhhh it just got more interesting now... Aim for maximum profit? Or feed your ego? (being able to name a legendary sword, or "be the legendary smith who crafted Excalibur") Chooooose!!

"Daveywavey's Pokeywokey Sword of Jabbywabbing!"
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    @Nagash 's Folly

You twat
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    edited October 2020
    I think people would just troll too much with the names...

Same with naming your tavern
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Slowly he lifts Mooji Meow Meow over his head in preparation for the killing blow.
    fNX2ISa.png

Murphy's Law
    Type: Zepter
    Stats: Endurance, Will
    Effect: slain enemies may spawn stronger versions of themselves upon death, give the chance to upgrade looted materials to raise in tier (Comman -> Uncommon, Uncommon -> Rare, etc)
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Seriously though, even though its a really cool idea I would bet that they wont do that.

Even with text filters, there are just too many unimaginative people around.
    I myself would be tempted to make 5 legendary swords each a little better then the other while naming them Excalibur vI, Excalibur vII, Excalibur vIII, Excalibur vIV, etc. :'D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2020
    Spoon of Tides

Description: It's actually just a trident that's a bit more ornate than normal.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It has been stated that crafter's names will be present on their creations, though. Maybe not quite what you want, but a decent middle ground, methinks.
  • It has been stated that crafter's names will be present on their creations, though. Maybe not quite what you want, but a decent middle ground, methinks.

Yeah, ESO did that, too. I sort of want that sword now, though.....
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    It has been stated that crafter's names will be present on their creations, though. Maybe not quite what you want, but a decent middle ground, methinks.

Yeah, ESO did that, too. I sort of want that sword now, though.....

Albion online also does this but there's much less meaning in that game since almost every item crafted is bulk or trashed soon after.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    Ah yes, I can see somebody getting murdered by occams razor already...

AHAHAH
    Yes Please! You'd be my go to for weapon names.

What if the first person to craft the item gets to name it - that would be much easier to monitor.
    EDIT: as in - this name becomes the item's in-game name permanently for everone else who crafts it.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited October 2020
    Forgot to give it a try myself:

The Second Amendment
    Type: Spellbook
    Effects: Immune to disarm. Does not drop on death regardless of corruption status.
    "The God-given divine rights of the Verran people to bear Arms, shall not be infringed. FFS you are not taking away my gunweapon."

ya I saw that on the wiki too, but was thinking if we can go one step further on legendaries ... :p
    Marcet wrote: »
    I think people would just troll too much with the names...

Same with naming your tavern

There definitely needs to be some naming policies / restrictions in place. There'll probably be restrictions for character & guild names anyway.
    Damokles wrote: »
    Seriously though, even though its a really cool idea I would bet that they wont do that.

Even with text filters, there are just too many unimaginative people around.
    I myself would be tempted to make 5 legendary swords each a little better then the other while naming them Excalibur vI, Excalibur vII, Excalibur vIII, Excalibur vIV, etc. :'D

yes ... although I think it depends on how rare legendaries end up being. My impression is that they're very very rare, and are results of tremendous player efforts that they deserve to be part of the Server History. In that case ...

1. The guild that gathered all the necessary mats would probably think thrice before hiring someone to craft the item anyway, and they would probably have thought of a good-enough name already.
    2. If a single crafter is dedicated enough to acquire the mats for multiple legendary items and decides to name them Excalibur 1~6 ... may be that's just how things should be on that server :p. Or spam that master crafter on your server with better naming ideas :p
    3. Along the same line as 2, that dedicated crafter probably deserves the right to troll his own effort and name his sword kjaiegj;aiegj;ilae. But then he should understand why it sells for less than the Occam's Razor the other guy's crafted, despite having nearly the same stats.
    maouw wrote: »
    Ah yes, I can see somebody getting murdered by occams razor already...

AHAHAH
    Yes Please! You'd be my go to for weapon names.

What if the first person to craft the item gets to name it - that would be much easier to monitor.
    EDIT: as in - this name becomes the item's in-game name permanently for everone else who crafts it.

But wouldn't that affect the recipe of other crafters? Imagine ...
    One moment before you're celebrating with your guildies because after months of efforts, you are about to craft a legendary sword and name it after your guild. The next thing you know is you've just crafted "Voidwalker's sword, 'I win' ", just because I happened to have crafted my legendary sword a minute earlier.
    Oh the frustration, and tears, and calls for KoS ...

On the recipes page https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Recipes, it says the devs have "talked about" including a royalties / patenting system. In that case may be it's a good idea to let crafters name the rare+ recipes they discover and have a patent for.
    Although in that case I wonder what can stop everyone from naming their mediocre (rare) swords excaliburs ...
    May be tie the player-recipe-names with the duration of the patent? While the patent is valid, it can be "Muramasa version 2.46 beta special" and once the patent expires, it's just "mithril long sword"
  • maouw wrote: »
    EDIT: as in - this name becomes the item's in-game name permanently for everyone else who crafts it.

So, EVERYBODY on the server has to use "Daveywavey's Pokeywokey Sword of Jabbywabbing".......?! :o:o:o
  • I present to you the legendary Spork!

Eat your heart out, Verra!
    Alyxavior wrote: »
    I present to you the legendary Spork!

Eat your heart out, Verra!

tenor.gif?itemid=13172371
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I recall crafters being able to name their crafted items in SWG. You know how many struts and shocks were named "light sabre"?

So, crafters names on items, yeah. Naming crafted items, nay.
  • Kneczhevo wrote: »
    I recall crafters being able to name their crafted items in SWG. You know how many struts and shocks were named "light sabre"?

Heh yeah, you'd get players forging an iron sword, calling it "Adamantium Longsword", and selling it for 300x the value, to rip off some poor unsuspecting buyer.
    I recall crafters being able to name their crafted items in SWG. You know how many struts and shocks were named "light sabre"?

"excuse me, it is a Psionic Spirit blade!"

That's why I was suggesting it should be limited to naming crafted legendary items ;)
    But it ultimately depends on the actual rarity of said "legendary" items ...
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Be sure to name your crafter something like “Sweatshop Slave” or “3rd Grade Dropout”. That way people buying your gear have confidence.

Hhak63P.png
  • Atama wrote: »
    Be sure to name your crafter something like “Sweatshop Slave” or “3rd Grade Dropout”. That way people buying your gear have confidence.

China will probably be taken very quickly....