Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Idea - Group bonuses/Player specific effects and bonuses

Idea for some sort of bonuses/effects/abilities that are activated or affect by what other Player(s) you're playing with (or perhaps against).

Like perhaps the more time spent playing together(or against the same player) with the same player(s) builds up affinities that perhaps boost attack power, healing power, damage taken reduced, whatever.

Or perhaps there could be certain multiple-person abilities can only be unlocked by playing together for long enough. Like some sort of thing where one person attacks from the front while the other comes from behind or whatever.

Like what about friends or couples who literally do EVERYTHING together all the time, it seems like there should be some sort of group based affinity that grows there. And guilds or just groups that have played together for incredibly long periods time.

I guess it would be most fitting, and yet probably most difficult to implement, if the actual player's actions during combat or even what type of events that are done while partying together(or against) actually affect what sort of affinity bonuses grow. Like if it's a group that spams magic spells on everything then magic bonuses would be what grows. Perhaps if its smart enough to know that a group is just always farming for items or gold or whatever then gold or magic find bonuses might appear. This could go so many different directions.

Comments

• maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like these too!
    But it can become gimmicky - especially if it's just everyone presses one button and an animation happens.

I'm enjoying what Mihoyo have done in Genshin Impact - the combination of 2 elements procs bonus effects:
    Fire + Electric = Kaboom
    Water + Ice = Freeze
    Water + Electric = Shock
    etc.
    In their system all characters' skills are aligned to a single element, so you combine characters to proc these effects.

For AoC the wiki mentions special effects if you gather 8 people of the same primary class - I don't think this has been fully fleshed out though.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • What bonuses does the AoC Family functionality give, other than teleporting?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    ^ Well Steven recently mentioned the benefits of sharing a bed with your spouse in AoC ;)
  • maouw wrote: »
    ^ Well Steven recently mentioned the benefits of sharing a bed with your spouse in AoC ;)

Heh yes. Creeeeepy...
  • Interesting concepts but don't really see what it adds gameplay wise, other than benefits for the sake of benefits. In order to make these aura benefits not overpowered, everything would need to be tuned down. So why not just not add them. Everyone is gonna roll around with their guild groups, so everyone is gonna have 125% or whatever power from these auras, so no difference is present.
  • I don't know. You already receive miscellaneous buffs from your furniture, marriage, node and guild and that doesn't include consumables like food and potions. Should Intrepid really introduce more ways of receiving bonuses from player interactions? I don't think so, but I like what @maouw has said although I'd probably use Guild Wars 2 as an example where one player can slap down a wall of fire and every projectile that passes through it inflicts the Burning status and additional fire damage. Something like this would incentivise using your skills strategically and will benefit players who play together for a long and know each other's abilities without being just more passive buffs.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    maouw wrote: »

that's not a benefit that's a pain, she always hogs the sheets
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »

that's not a benefit that's a pain, she always hogs the sheets

And you'll need a sofa for when she kicks you out...
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited October 2020
    This would provide an incentive for people to stick with clicks rather than be more social within guilds or other players, which is what you don't want in this kind of game.

Besides, we already get meta benefits from playing with the same people: better PvP synergy, reliable trade partners/schedules.
    Ravudha wrote: »
    This would provide an incentive for people to stick with clicks rather than be more social within guilds or other players, which is what you don't want in this kind of game.

Besides, we already get meta benefits from playing with the same people: better PvP synergy, reliable trade partners/schedules.

Oh hey, that's a good point - the long term impacts of an affinity system would really discourage interaction with new people. I guess if it's only a small bonus, and the affinity maxes quickly it would work ok. Maybe the affinity can go deeper if you get married?
  • maouw wrote: »
    Maybe the affinity can go deeper if you get married?

You're not married, are you......
    @daveywavey
    You don't know what you got til it's gone.

... but also yes, I'm living the bachelor life hahaha