Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Game looks great but characters walk/move a bit clunky

2»

Comments

• Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    arsnn wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    arsnn wrote: »
    Creating this hardcore elitists community enviroment, where any opinion you share is stamped as "they will have it in future" is so contraproductive.
    Why not ignore the threads that feel redundant for you?

The real truth is that the forums don't get as much traction as people would hope so I, and others like me, will respond to just about any post :P. He already admitted that it was a bit harsh of an opener but the point still stands that the game is sooooo early in development that its a little silly to say "wow this game is clunky! I hope they fix it!"

No harm was meant from what I can tell, so there's no need to rag on nagash who has probably been here a bit longer than others. The grumpy old man.... :wink:

Judging from what i have read from Nagash it seems like 95% one liners and 50% gotcha comments à la reddit in order to receive attention. That´s my perspective on it.
    People not visiting intrepid´s platform often will say "nope " and head immediately out.
    Idc if stuff like that would be directed at me but i genuinely hate this insider circle jerking directed towards new people that don´t get the contexts.

The only time any new poster gets any amount of push back is when they say something that shows they haven't even done a google search, or they hop in with a huge block of text on how all sorts of game systems are wrong, usually ignorant of half the announced mechanics. If someone enters introducing themselves, or asking about subjects, or looking for directions to info, 3 or 4 people happily help them out. Tone matters, and there such things as stupid questions.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    @arsnn

Like I said before, I did take my post to far in the start, and I admit that I was overzealous with how I worded it. However, I still stand by my point that there are too many people who come on to the forums or the discord and tell the devs and the long time people that X is wrong or that they don't like X. For those of us who have been here over the past three years we have seen this so many times that its a joke to us (why my comments joke so much) otherwise all threads would just be here's a link to the wiki or youtube.

As for you point on me, you are right that I joke a lot on the forums and that a lot of my posts are short, but with over 7000 total posts (including the old forums) I have had plenty of long-form discussions, I just find it more efficient to use short posts as it's quick and easy for people to understand what I'm talking about instead of a wall of text with no point.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    @arsnn

Like I said before, I did take my post to far in the start, and I admit that I was overzealous with how I worded it. However, I still stand by my point that there are too many people who come on to the forums or the discord and tell the devs and the long time people that X is wrong or that they don't like X. For those of us who have been here over the past three years we have seen this so many times that its a joke to us (why my comments joke so much) otherwise all threads would just be here's a link to the wiki or youtube.

As for you point on me, you are right that I joke a lot on the forums and that a lot of my posts are short, but with other 7000 total posts (including the old forums) I have had plenty of long-form discussions, I just find it more efficient to use short posts as it's quick and easy for people to understand what I'm talking about instead of a wall of text with no point.

Bazinga
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Well, they are clunky and they'll improve as the game continues to improve. Though I think it would be funny if summoned skellies retained the pre-alpha character movements. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    I even had to recently take a forum break. I was getting so tired of so much misinformation on the boards that it was getting under my skin. It's one thing for someone to come into the forums lacking info, or making assumptions and getting things wrong. It's another for someone to be willfully and tendentiously wrong and needlessly argue about it, even condescendingly. It's not worth the energy to waste time with self-important delusional misanthropes. This is a forum for a game I've been waiting for a long time to come out, it's just a game, and when the forum is clogged with this tripe I just avoid it. It's better for my well-being to do that.

Now, all that being said, the OP in this thread is not like this. It's just a short comment (if poorly-informed). But nothing malicious of course. But when you deal with so much toxicity from newcomers, it's difficult not to respond in kind, so I understand when some of the veterans lose patience.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Linking to resources is repetitive, but necessary and effective.

It looks like OP was scared off, but his post is pretty genuine and I don't think it's fair to say "this is alpha 1" and dismiss him (or her).

On top of "alpha" being confused by international porting of MMOs, there is no indication of which parts of alpha 1 are core and won't be changed - so this feedback is completely valid - even if it was shallow. It might be necessary to simplify movement to support 250 v 250.

Also threads like this help the team know the knee-jerk reaction of people with a fresh perspective - Steven just talked about this in his most recent interview with Jahlon. He also talked about the feedback he doesn't like - specifically posts that go along the lines of "This is a pyramid scheme".

Basically, there will be poor quality threads (my first thread was almost like this one - but nobody threw me in the oven) but let's only explode on stuff that's intentionally trying to cause trouble. This poor person was not.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Nagash wrote: »
    As for you point on me, you are right that I joke a lot on the forums and that a lot of my posts are short
    @Nagash
    People complain if posts are too short, people complain if posts are too long.

End of the day, post what you are thinking. If people have something to complain about, that is an issue with them, not with you.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    People need to learn to shut up with the "it's pre-alpha" comments, when somebody gives a simple feedback without talking down the game.
    maouw wrote: »
    It looks like OP was scared off, but his post is pretty genuine and I don't think it's fair to say "this is alpha 1" and dismiss him (or her).
    Instead of feeling like he or she has been dismissed, the person could take the statement for what it is. The game is in an early state of being built and requires a lot more building; and, the poster apparently believes that more time is necessary before the complaint (animations in this case) will be resolved.

Although I suppose its not really necessary to add in the inflammatory comments that frequently go along with the pre-alpha statement.
  • Options
    Heya folks! As some lovely helpful people chimed in on this thread already, all the animations you've seen in our recent videos are very much still a work in progress. With your additional feedback and some further iterations in upcoming testing, we'll definitely be continuing to refine those <3

I appreciate all the folks who jumped in to provide OP a helpful response here, as we know not everyone has been around for a super long time or heard when we've mentioned these things on previous live streams and the like :smiley: the more we can help provide references and links for our new friendly faces, the more they can in turn help spread the word for even newer faces in the future!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    MaytreyaMaytreya Member
    edited October 2020
    I agree with OP.

People need to learn to shut up with the "it's pre-alpha" comments, when somebody gives a simple feedback without talking down the game.
    It's not like the OP attacked the game ffs.

Thing is, whether you like the term being used or not, the game is in a pre-alpha state. Expect clunkyness.
    "Sleep just isn't sleep anymore. It's an escape."