Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

So I heard this game is potentially coming out in 2023.

So I guess my question to the devs is... Whatd yall do today? (besides underwater mounts)

Comments

• ReccaRecca Member
    edited February 2022
    sheesh
    twitch.tv/reccagg
  • Recca wrote: »
    LMAO yo fucking amen dude

fr fr! im tryna grind some nodes, i aint tryna be a pirate?? ship buildin wtf!
  • ReccaRecca Member
    edited February 2022
    clean
    twitch.tv/reccagg
  • Recca wrote: »
    Yo I cant wait to have a character for each of the 64 classes in the game!

aye yo whats ur main in ashes?

Oh me? I play mage, summoner, cleric, bard, fighter, tank, ranger, rogue, weapon master, dreadnought, shadowblade, hunter, spellsword etc
  • Lol, make another account, and post from a third! Hehehe
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well the devs have not given a time for release but 2023/2024 seems likely
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »

did you not get the joke, we're complaining because of how long its going to take, especially for a project that is so well funded, so well staffed, and has been in dev since 2016
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm still hoping for the end of 2022, but after the recent schedule release it is starting to feel like it may be longer.
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Osire wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

did you not get the joke, we're complaining because of how long its going to take, especially for a project that is so well funded, so well staffed, and has been in dev since 2016

It has been in active development of more than just design on paper since mid Q1/Q2 2017 and they have slowly ramped your their team size and they’re still smaller than AAA studios.

2022 would be 5 years of development which is standard and 2023 would be 6 years which is completely reasonable for an indie studio making a game of this size.
  • vmangman wrote: »

It has been in active development of more than just design on paper since mid Q1/Q2 2017 and they have slowly ramped your their team size and they’re still smaller than AAA studios.

2022 would be 5 years of development which is standard and 2023 would be 6 years which is completely reasonable for an indie studio making a game of this size.

An indio studio? They have more then over 100 Devs working on ashes, 5 years is standard for an mmo like you said, 6 is a stretch, and to have 100 devs and have the release date be most likely the end of 2023, or later is a bit much, Don't you think its a bit problematic how much hype the game has, and how much work is actually being done. I mean seriously the community will be a lot worst in 2023, Im just saying itd be beneficial for them to try to release the game asap. And then people say things like "Oh well they shouldn't rush the game" Actually for a game as hyped as this itd make a lot more sense to get the game into a fully playable version, and then add dlc's and updates as time goes on. And with a studio of over 100 devs youd think theyd want to release as much as possible as soon as possible. Im just saying theres a lot of wasted hype and wasted potential.
  • vmangman wrote: »

Also, though this rpg looks amazing, its a bit problematic how many complex systems they plan to add into the game. 64 Classes is firstly WAY too many, and though it would be amazing to see that many, It's too complex, with that many classes comes balancing, etc. Then not to mention the problem of all the little complex systems they have. If you watched the mini interview steven had with Asmongold, popular streamer/youtuber, every time he asked him if they had insert blank, steven would reply yes, and much more. Which is a bit concerning seems none of the core things for the game are even developed yet, and they plan to add SO much content. Which sounds great but slows down development significantly.
  • It'll be fine, or it won't. Personally, I think it's going in the right direction. Either way, no point in being anxious about it. Come hang with the rest of us, enjoy the ups and downs as they go. And if you're concerned enough to try and help - Intrepid is hiring. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    vmangman wrote: »

An indio studio? They have more then over 100 Devs working on ashes, 5 years is standard for an mmo like you said, 6 is a stretch, and to have 100 devs and have the release date be most likely the end of 2023, or later is a bit much, Don't you think its a bit problematic how much hype the game has, and how much work is actually being done. I mean seriously the community will be a lot worst in 2023, Im just saying itd be beneficial for them to try to release the game asap. And then people say things like "Oh well they shouldn't rush the game" Actually for a game as hyped as this itd make a lot more sense to get the game into a fully playable version, and then add dlc's and updates as time goes on. And with a studio of over 100 devs youd think theyd want to release as much as possible as soon as possible. Im just saying theres a lot of wasted hype and wasted potential.

Number of devs alone doesn’t make a studio AAA caliber. Intrepid is an indie studio. Also, they are not at 100 devs yet. Also, for the majority of the game’s development they’ve been under 50 developers. It’s only in the past year that they’ve gone over 50.

Stop hating.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @osire
    Also, IS is not even advertising the game because their not ready.

The hype is not connected to the work being done. The hype has been created by the streamers who are making content regardless of how far along development is.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The game has 8 classes, you can just add a sub-class to a main class to give it a change in flavor. They aren’t actually 64 classes, just 8 classes each with 8 different variations. It doesn’t matter what Intrepid calls them.

Hhak63P.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    5 years is standard for an mmo.
    5 years was standard 15 years ago. WoW took about 5 years to develop, as did EQ2.

MMO's are more complex than that now, and take longer to develop.

ESO was 7 years in development.

Archeage took 7 years to develop.

Bless was in development for 7 years.

GW2 was in development for at least 6 years.

FFXIV was 9 years in development, in total.

So your assumption that 5 years is standard for modern MMO's is somewhat misplaced, and I would really like to know how you came to believe that is the case.

To add to this, it is also somewhat important to understand that actual development of Ashes didn't begin until 2018, didn't begin in earnest until 2019, and even now it still isn't at anything close to full speed. You can't just hire a full development team in one go when you are only developing one game, and have something for everyone to do. There is a process, a work flow if you will, that needs to be followed - and each developer only works on their specific area of that process. You can't get a developer to work on their part of it until the parts that their part rely on are finished.

This is why some studios are able to pump out games faster than others, rather than working on one title at a time, they will be working on three or four at a time, each of them in different stages of development, which means each of them are employing different teams of developers within the studio.

Since Intrepid are only developing one game, they can't look at hiring the developers to work on the next aspect until the previous aspect of locked down. Once it is locked down, they can then hire that next group of developers - who themselves have to wind up their old job, probably move to a new city and then spend some time getting to understand what it is that Ashes is trying to be, all before they are able to become fully productive members of staff. This process in itself would be expected to take 3 - 6 months, and has to happen several times during development of a project like Ashes.

If you assume Ashes development started in 2018 (I would argue it started in 2019), then even that 5 year assumption puts it's release in 2023. So even your insistance that the game should only take 5 years to develop puts the release in 2023.

If you assume it will be a 7 year development as per many other MMO's (see above) we are looking at 2025. If it does a FFXIV, then we are looking at 2027.

All that is assured though, is that complaining about a 2023 release as being too late is an ill-informed position.
  • Osire wrote: »

Also, though this rpg looks amazing, its a bit problematic how many complex systems they plan to add into the game. 64 Classes is firstly WAY too many, and though it would be amazing to see that many, It's too complex, with that many classes comes balancing, etc. Then not to mention the problem of all the little complex systems they have. If you watched the mini interview steven had with Asmongold, popular streamer/youtuber, every time he asked him if they had insert blank, steven would reply yes, and much more. Which is a bit concerning seems none of the core things for the game are even developed yet, and they plan to add SO much content. Which sounds great but slows down development significantly.

Pretty sure the complexity of the many systems is one of the major reasons people are hyped for this game. Not sure what about the game is attractive to you given the lack of gameplay other than the concepts that will be attempted. As mentioned, there has been no marketing for this game, the hype is from MMORPG players that are a bit sick of getting re-skinned crap every year and find lots to be excited for with this game (i.e. its many fresh and complex systems).
  • Osire wrote: »

Dont you take into consideration this whole entire year ? It's been remote work and that obviously slows down a lot. A year delay is perfectly fine, if you want to play earlier so much buy alpha.

I can't understand people with your type of mindset, you're crying about the game taking long.. but yet you'd definitely also cry if they released it earlier and it is unfinished. You kind of people really can't make your mind up and its baffling to say the least. I guess you're free to keep complaining, but I just hope they don't listen to people like you and release the game early and unfinished, that would completely kill and ruin any hope the game has.
    Poko.png
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    *scratches my head*

I wonder where you got the "over 100" devs at Intrepid stat from. As far as I'm aware we haven't been told how many people are currently employed at the studio. Spreading mis-information doesn't do anyone any good.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ^ in Jahlon's recent interview, Steven estimated 93 staff in total, but that probably includes more than just devs
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • So I can play that Harry Potter game and not have to worry about Ashes coming out in the middle of it.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    So I can play that Harry Potter game and not have to worry about Ashes coming out in the middle of it.

that and cyberpunk 2077 2 :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    So I can play that Harry Potter game and not have to worry about Ashes coming out in the middle of it.

that and cyberpunk 2077 2 :D

AND EVEN NEW WORLD! :#:*
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Noaani wrote: »
    5 years is standard for an mmo.
    5 years was standard 15 years ago. WoW took about 5 years to develop, as did EQ2.

MMO's are more complex than that now, and take longer to develop.

ESO was 7 years in development.

Archeage took 7 years to develop.

Bless was in development for 7 years.

GW2 was in development for at least 6 years.

FFXIV was 9 years in development, in total.

So your assumption that 5 years is standard for modern MMO's is somewhat misplaced, and I would really like to know how you came to believe that is the case.

To add to this, it is also somewhat important to understand that actual development of Ashes didn't begin until 2018, didn't begin in earnest until 2019, and even now it still isn't at anything close to full speed. You can't just hire a full development team in one go when you are only developing one game, and have something for everyone to do. There is a process, a work flow if you will, that needs to be followed - and each developer only works on their specific area of that process. You can't get a developer to work on their part of it until the parts that their part rely on are finished.

This is why some studios are able to pump out games faster than others, rather than working on one title at a time, they will be working on three or four at a time, each of them in different stages of development, which means each of them are employing different teams of developers within the studio.

Since Intrepid are only developing one game, they can't look at hiring the developers to work on the next aspect until the previous aspect of locked down. Once it is locked down, they can then hire that next group of developers - who themselves have to wind up their old job, probably move to a new city and then spend some time getting to understand what it is that Ashes is trying to be, all before they are able to become fully productive members of staff. This process in itself would be expected to take 3 - 6 months, and has to happen several times during development of a project like Ashes.

If you assume Ashes development started in 2018 (I would argue it started in 2019), then even that 5 year assumption puts it's release in 2023. So even your insistance that the game should only take 5 years to develop puts the release in 2023.

If you assume it will be a 7 year development as per many other MMO's (see above) we are looking at 2025. If it does a FFXIV, then we are looking at 2027.

All that is assured though, is that complaining about a 2023 release as being too late is an ill-informed position.

This opened my mind a bit, thank you for the insight.
  • neuroguy wrote: »

Pretty sure the complexity of the many systems is one of the major reasons people are hyped for this game. Not sure what about the game is attractive to you given the lack of gameplay other than the concepts that will be attempted. As mentioned, there has been no marketing for this game, the hype is from MMORPG players that are a bit sick of getting re-skinned crap every year and find lots to be excited for with this game (i.e. its many fresh and complex systems).

True but don't you think it reaches a problem when they start adding TOO many complex systems? Nodes are cool enough, I feel like theyre going a bit too far with some things such as ship building and all the crafting trees, which sound really cool, but I think the games already so complex it does a really good job of being different from other mmos.
  • *scratches my head*

I wonder where you got the "over 100" devs at Intrepid stat from. As far as I'm aware we haven't been told how many people are currently employed at the studio. Spreading mis-information doesn't do anyone any good.

I thought I heard that number somewhere, the person said below steven mentioned having 93 staff in total.
  • Yuyukoyay wrote: »

what harry potter game yo? im tryna play a harry potter game
  • maouw wrote: »
    ^ in Jahlon's recent interview, Steven estimated 93 staff in total, but that probably includes more than just devs

true
  • maouw wrote: »

Yeah. Designers, Graphic Artists, Animators, QA, Marketing, Customer Services, and Steven himself, just to name a few off the top of my head. None of those will be writing the actual program code.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »

Yeah. Designers, Graphic Artists, Animators, QA, Marketing, Customer Services, and Steven himself, just to name a few off the top of my head. None of those will be writing the actual program code.

Understandable, That being said I still back my main point of there being too many unneeded complex systems in the game.