Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bard "Weapons" and other obscure ideas.

ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
Having simple lutes and violins etc is probably fine for early gear but lets make sure there is something neat at the end of it all!

r8IJIA9.jpg

I'm hoping to see something reflective of the magical nature bards seem to be having in Ashes, what do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    I dont want such instruments in the game.

Example for an epic Lute I would actually appreciate:
    9b6773d1bd65e5e4d97af3b07ebf934a.jpg

This is a Harp skin for Staffs which I absolutely love in Guild Wars 2:
    HQHWPkL.png
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure there wont be instrument type weapons in the game, but these would look badass during player's abilities. Remember the weapons won't be used for player abilities, so the bard will be pulling these instruments out of there butt when using spells.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    McShave wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there wont be instrument type weapons in the game, but these would look badass during player's abilities. Remember the weapons won't be used for player abilities, so the bard will be pulling these instruments out of there butt when using spells.

Are you sure you don't want to be bonked in the head by an instrument in-game? =p
  • Options
    This thread makes it really hard to not just post the top dozen ridiculous hunting horns from monster hunter. xD

• Options
    Crosim wrote: »
    This thread makes it really hard to not just post the top dozen ridiculous hunting horns from monster hunter. xD

I will do it for you if you are not Bard enough.
    mhw_best_hunting_horn_build_main.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    This one always makes me laugh - coz it's a cross between a microphone and a bagpipe AS IF BAGPIPES NEED A MICROPHONE.
    165810_1.png
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Flute blowgun.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just remember that weapons are independent of class. If you have a magic lute, it can be used by bards or mages or tanks.

Damn, now I want to be a tank who fights with a set of bagpipes. Talk about generating aggro!

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    tumblr_mqx8cyF8nR1sa24tdo1_500.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    @daveywavey oh yes, a casual attack from the local bard pianist. :D:D
  • Options
    I'm not sure about weapons but it would be really cool if the bard/summoner could have an ability that summons a spiritual avatar that floats above the bard, extending the range of his buffs or auras. Think of it like a larger reflection of the bard that is playing music the whole time it is out aiding allies and debuffing enemies.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm still hoping bards don't need to be tied to music.

I want a spoken word bard!
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Minstrel

Looking at Bard/Bard for the first time myself. It feels like they with all of the other classes, they are leaving it pretty open to interpretation.

"Bards may be able to play musical instruments, such as Flutes and Bagpipes."

That is the key point I was looking for. It says nothing about bards having special weapons.
    Personally I don't think they should be making a bunch of special weapons for classes. I feel like it is a design trap, especially in a game that does not tie your class to your weapon. Weapons should be tied to races and cultures instead.

I could see them doing music themed weapons as cosmetics, they seem to be having a good time with the cosmetics designs.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited November 2020
    I see the musical instrument thing more as a temporary summon, rather than a persistent weapon. So, you might summon a flute for 5 seconds that temporarily takes the place of your weapon while it gives its buff, and then disappears again.

What I don't want is to have to stand in the middle playing the bagpipes for an entire raid boss! :p
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Beatbox people to death
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
  • Options

Support is my favourite role, but man, I hope I don't have to pull a flute mid-combat, that would be anti-climatic to me.

I just wanna do some war dances, please!
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

Beatbox people to death

Don't you mean 'Beetbox', or did you turnip to this thread forgetting the other?

Hopefully we can see some leeks on this soon.
  • Options

Beatbox people to death

Don't you mean 'Beetbox', or did you turnip to this thread forgetting the other?

I'm Crosim' you off my list of friendlies.
  • Options

Beatbox people to death

What if the spoken word bard uses puns for buffs?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Beatbox people to death

What if the spoken word bard uses puns for buffs?

Then, we're all going the Musical Bard route.
  • Options

A beatnik bard! You wear all black with your combat beret, and snap your fingers with one hand while taking a drag off a cigarette with the other. You get extra buffs with bongos.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I want an epic bard weapon called pundamoneum that deals extra damage to music bards.
  • Options

They mentioned Word of Power bard mechanics or Poetry etc as the channel for the bards magic.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I want to push around a grand piano; up and over rocky hills and down into caves... Come on guys wait up!
  • Options
    Shoklen wrote: »
    I want to push around a grand piano; up and over rocky hills and down into caves... Come on guys wait up!

Have a dedicated caravan for transporting the piano, with a 5 minute set up time to offload it.
    You could put your tailcoat in there too.
    You'd be one of THOSE bards.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Beatbox people to death

I'd be down for this - though my hope is that there is an option for poetry, or reciting an epic/stage play.
    Damokles wrote: »

They mentioned Word of Power bard mechanics or Poetry etc as the channel for the bards magic.
    This is good, I just hope it is more than one or two abilities.

If you google "the bard", the results are not about a musician at all - you get Shakespeare, a writer.

The original notion of a bard in an adventuring party in a fantasy setting (as far as I can tell) was that it was someone coming along to record the heroic deeds being performed. Basically, writing.

To me, that means the main entertainment skill a bard needs is the ability to write. Singing is also fine - but a bard that just plays an instrement is not able to accurately record those heroic deeds they are there to record - which to me means such a bard is straight up unable to perform the actual original function of their existence.

Obviously, there is no easy game system to suggest that a bard is recording what their party/raid are doing. To me, the one thing that a game can do to offer a suggestion of this notion is to make it so a bard is able to be played without needing music or a musical instrument at all.

I mean, there should also be the option to use music - I'm just saying there should be the option to not use it, as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Go to Wandering Mist's "Design Your Own Spells" thread, and share your own ideas for the Bard skills!
  • Options
    Shoklen wrote: »

Over hill, over dale,
    We will hit the dusty trail,
    And those Pianos go rolling along.

Hhak63P.png