Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What are some activities / functions you would like to see in towns?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I asked Jahlon a while back and these are not in. Blame the "T" rating.

Ohhhhh man, we have to share the game with kids?! WTF?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

/choke
    /pukes in mouth a little bit

Lort. T-rating. :/ Whatever happend to online games not being able to be rated by ESRB standards?
    I get it... Devs want to reach as wide as audience as possible, but have you seen what's on public tv lately? Or just on the general internet at large? There is no "T" content anymore. Everything seems "M"

Ooohhh well... /shrug

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2020
    BROTHELS!

/drops mic, walks away...

Man I want to read more of your posts but your format makes them... skippable very easily.
    I have a feeling that other people do that as well.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »

no need to fear daveywavey - kids will need their parent's credit card to subscribe so this will inevitably cut off a large portion of highschoolers.

But it will allow space for those parent-child relationships who play together. :)

Also we can befriend teenagers. They're going through an emotionally distressing stage of life so just bear it and try to be grounded.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited November 2020
    maouw wrote: »

no need to fear daveywavey - kids will need their parent's credit card to subscribe so this will inevitably cut off a large portion of highschoolers.

But it will allow space for those parent-child relationships who play together. :)

Also we can befriend teenagers. They're going through an emotionally distressing stage of life so just bear it and try to be grounded.

Yeah, but it makes @Lore Dynamic 's "BROTHELS!" idea even more seedy, if there are kids playing! :p
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »

Yeah, but it makes @Lore Dynamic 's "BROTHELS!" idea even more seedy, if there are kids playing! :p

AHAHAHA
    Fair enough.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Loving these suggestions you all have been sharing so far! As long as they're staying in the PG-13 range 🤣

Personally, I just wanna sit at a little outdoor table and enjoy a relaxing coffee or tea between my adventures...perhaps catching up on the latest node news in the meantime 😉
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Loving these suggestions you all have been sharing so far! As long as they're staying in the PG-13 range 🤣

Personally, I just wanna sit at a little outdoor table and enjoy a relaxing coffee or tea between my adventures...perhaps catching up on the latest node news in the meantime 😉

Ahem, yeah... just don't head down to the "cellar"...
  • Options
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    I also like the idea of having a reputation in an area so the more favorable it is, the more friendly and personal townspeople will be towards you (maybe even in awe, suspicious or even a bit terrified that you were the one who took down the demon terrorizing the area recently).

I really like this idea of reputation. You don't need to implement anything big with this, just have the NPCs react slightly differently. One idea tho is maybe cheaper vendor prices.
  • Options

I was actually going to say something along these lines, but with a couple of extra bits

I do agree that sometimes its pretty weird to have like 30 people on various wild creatures not even native to the local area, just sitting round in the middle of the street. An idea that might be interesting to curb this behavior is a kind of rested bonus for XP (and maybe faction increase too? since people will cap eventually). Say if you decide to sit in a tavern, or at a quaint table in an outdoor cafe, it would give you a hefty multiplier for a normal rested buff? So, if you need to make some more coffee or ran out of smokes or a buddy needs a lift, or something, you can just go plant yourself at the bar, and get rewarded for adding to the scenery.

Recently I have been playing EQ and have noticed they have these global announcements when a raid boss goes down. Basically a global message saying "a person and some adventurers killed a thing, huzzah! Cheer with them." I think it would be really interesting in Ashes if NPCs would actually talk about things like this. So if Lt. Toast decided to have a nice sit, some NPCs Could talk about -person- or -Guild- going out and killing -raid creature-. This, of course could be applied to all kinds of things to make the world more lived in. Maybe elections just went through and an NPC is talking about higher taxes (that a player mayor just actually raised) actually mentioning the new mayor by name, and the other NPC hes conversing with admits to voting for the new mayor. There could be all kinds of messages and little ways to inform players of real player driven events in the world "Did you hear about the fort over in -dangerous far away place-? They say those folks from -Guild A- raided it the other day, and just kicked out all of that lot from -Guild B- Now it seems -Guild A GM- is running the place" All kinds of neat possibilities. And it goes without saying, extremely neat if you ever heard one of those people say your name.

... Speaking of which ... wouldn't it be nice to hear NPCs say your name? Especially if you were running for election? I think it would be neat if you could actually pay NPCs to do campaigns for you. Not just for mayor, but if you were looking to start a guild but needed a couple more healers to round out your roster. Perhaps you could pay for text-ads with a town crier or something along those lines. Obviously you couldn't have too many of them, people don't like spam, of course. Perhaps larger cities could have a sort of newspaper with recent events that players could also buy ads in.

• Options
    BROTHELS!

/drops mic, walks away...

Man I want to read more of your posts but your format makes them... skippable very easily.
    I have a feeling that other people do that as well.

I can rectify that I suppose. ^_^ Thanks for the heads-up my friend!

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

-HPL
  • Options
    I like your ideas @Crosim !
    I, too, have always wished that the NPC had more of a personality and their own sense of life/existence. Rather than simply being props. Or a stepping-stone to point us in quest directions. I can't even imagine how much programming work it would take to make NPCs more responsive. But it would be nice if I had a reason to care about them.

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

-HPL
  • Options
    Something akin to a record of the cities that rose to power previously, on the same node. Perhaps the current village on-site stands where a Metropolis once stood - until a node-siege destroyed the whole thing?

Also:

A very functional Billboard system, as it has been stated that there will be. As long as this remains up-to-date and functions correctly, we can hopefully avoid seeing trade-spam be spread over a third of a town's streets every so many minutes, manually. Players emulate what they can't find in the game, so Billboards seems like a good way to circumnavigate the need for trade-spam.
  • Options
    Tavern games have been mentioned for inclusion in the game; Am excited to see how those will work and what types of tavern games will be available. We'll obviously have access to basics, in the the nodes' centres of inhabitation.

If there was one unique thing I'd like to suggest or to find in a town, it'd be an update board to know who of the node's citizens have recently achieved something, or had contributed a significant something to the node's advancements and goals; A way of knowing what someone's contributions and qualifiers are, when you see their name on a ballot (or declaration of absolute rule, as the case may instead be) in your node's city.

That way, if we see someone's up for Mayor, we can find an answer to the question of "Who is this person, to the Node/City?". Ah - they're the City's 2nd-largest volume-seller of Blacksmith products, such as shields and armor, and they've contributed over 9000 stone to city projects in a life-time tally. Definately someone I can be proud to vote for.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to see the player stalls / shops show some kind of resemblance of the contents that are up for sale.
    • if the most expensive item for sale is a sword, then swords are shown on your stall
    • if the largest quantity of items is a particular material, then the materials are laid out in front of you on your mat like at a real bazar or on the table of the stall.
    Animations of NPC`s setting up and packing up stalls / shops
  • Options
    Tavern games have been mentioned for inclusion in the game; Am excited to see how those will work and what types of tavern games will be available. We'll obviously have access to basics, in the the nodes' centres of inhabitation.

If there was one unique thing I'd like to suggest or to find in a town, it'd be an update board to know who of the node's citizens have recently achieved something, or had contributed a significant something to the node's advancements and goals; A way of knowing what someone's contributions and qualifiers are, when you see their name on a ballot (or declaration of absolute rule, as the case may instead be) in your node's city.

That way, if we see someone's up for Mayor, we can find an answer to the question of "Who is this person, to the Node/City?". Ah - they're the City's 2nd-largest volume-seller of Blacksmith products, such as shields and armor, and they've contributed over 9000 stone to city projects in a life-time tally. Definately someone I can be proud to vote for.

Hell yeah. I need a billboard that tell how 'Bobyoloswag' can't be elected because of proof that during the last siege he flipped city resources to make potions for the enemy.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Guild trophies from their achievements could be hung on the outside of their guild hall.
    If guild halls are instances, then the top ranking guilds have their hall as the primary one displayed.

NPC`s doing street maintanence

• Options
    Two main things from two of my favorite games!

GW2 - Open world exploration puzzles. I spent a few hours jumping through mountains and accidentally stumbled upon a jump puzzle that led me to a chest and getting rocketed out of the eyeball of a skull mountain...was awesome. This could be done on a scale inside of towns/cities. It also encourages people to explore all the dang hard work the artists put into the small details.

Fable - This one is probably a bit wrong, but I loved going full evil mode, slaughtering an entire village and buying all their homes and businesses. Having a real-estate market was a fun thing to do in Fable (even if you did it nefariously). They also did it right with lots of fun tavern games and interactive citizens.

And something not from a game...and maybe kinda tricky?

Concerts. With bard characters it seems natural that music will be a part of the game, if lil' fun concerts occurred it'd be cool...and would be even more interesting if players could pipe instruments in and play songs in those venues...Could be as simple as having an in-game voice chat functionality that allows for non-party voice communication in specific areas, then leave it up to players to rig things to their computers to play songs. (yes yes.....this could get out of hand VERY fast....)
  • Options
    I think of some activities for discussion, but not necessarily to be held in the node center:-

1. During Halloween, catacombs under the city open for maze run without map function (better even with first person view only).
    2. Bloodbath season: Arena move to the wild and start a Hunger Game with traps, scenarios, beasts and of course PK.
    3. Scenery Hunting: Screenshot competition to capture view, skyline and scenery. (Not limited to landscape, player can be war correspondent shooting node siege or war scene)
    4. Chess, instead using chess piece, use player characters instead (8 players on one side as pawns normally sacrificed or stagnant)