Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would you freak out if...

2»

Comments

• Options
    @skafftaruss
    What are you trying to say? You first say he is the best. Then you say he sucks. Then you say that people should get information that isnt ready yet because of their race. Then you say you are racially colour-blind. Please verify what you mean.
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited December 2020
    Atama wrote: »
    I have a potential problem with dyes in general, whether they come from the cash shop or in-game.

We've had it at least hinted that certain "exclusive" items might be acquired in other ways, but in a tinted form. So maybe you have a special orange version of a cloak that is a November 2021 cash shop exclusive. But you can earn a purple version of the cloak from a quest.

Then you get the cloak from the quest, and get some orange dye and apply it, and now you have the Cloak of Autumn or whatever. The "exclusive" cloak isn't exclusive at all.

Basically, I'd like it if Intrepid doesn't promise one thing and do another. They've done that before but I figure anyone can make mistakes. If it becomes a habit then it means you can't really trust them at all.

When they say stuff like that I get the impression it's far more than just a color change. I see it as the difference between these two dudes - same body, different color pattern, sometimes more textures added as well like we saw with the recent forest dragon, or here you see different fur patterns.

1200px-vlcsnap-2020-02-29-09h38m46s747.png

1200px-vlcsnap-2020-02-29-09h41m02s070.png
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited December 2020
    sunfrog wrote: »
    Would you freak out and lose your mind if Steven started selling dyes in the monthly cosmetics shop?
    (The price is $5)

(I don't know how to make a poll)
    Yes!
    No.
    I don't like spending money on a game that is still 3 years away.

Yeah, I'd be worried.

If dyes were only available in the cosmetics shop, then I feel it'd go against the principle of providing cosmetic options in game that are on par with the options of customisation available in the shop. It'd push people to the shop.

It might be OK if dyes are available both in game and the shop but only if both colour options were somehow seen as comparable (e.g. shop has variants of in game colours rather than monopolising whole segments of the colour spectrum) and the most popular colours (primaries, black, white) are available in game.

Personally, I think having all dyes in game would be better and a great way to fill out artisan classes with crafted items that are not combat related.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Leiloni wrote: »
    Atama wrote: »
    I have a potential problem with dyes in general, whether they come from the cash shop or in-game.

We've had it at least hinted that certain "exclusive" items might be acquired in other ways, but in a tinted form. So maybe you have a special orange version of a cloak that is a November 2021 cash shop exclusive. But you can earn a purple version of the cloak from a quest.

Then you get the cloak from the quest, and get some orange dye and apply it, and now you have the Cloak of Autumn or whatever. The "exclusive" cloak isn't exclusive at all.

Basically, I'd like it if Intrepid doesn't promise one thing and do another. They've done that before but I figure anyone can make mistakes. If it becomes a habit then it means you can't really trust them at all.

When they say stuff like that I get the impression it's far more than just a color change. I see it as the difference between these two dudes - same body, different color pattern, sometimes more textures added as well like we saw with the recent forest dragon, or here you see different fur patterns.

1200px-vlcsnap-2020-02-29-09h38m46s747.png

I hope so. That would definitely take care of the issue. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited December 2020
    Whoa, what did I miss? This thread is very popular. :smiley
    fNX2ISa.png

• Options
    I do not like the idea.

We are paying a sub for a reason, dye's are different than Cosmetics.

Cosmetics are somewhat unique skins that have variants in the game somewhat so it's understandable that they would be in a shop.

Dye's however, are a non-unique aspect of the game, colors if you will. By putting these in a cash-shop you not only run the risk of snowballing into other items, see replies above about the color black on certain gear-sets etc, but you also remove an aspect of the global economy and of "living in the world". We pay a sub for a reason.

Cosmetics are one thing, but resources, goods, mats, crafted items in the cash-shop are entirely another thing. I would absolutely hate this idea, and would given the opportunity vote against it in every regard.

It damages the economy, it repeats what trash eastern MMORPG's and money hungry indie devs have done, and just removes from the in-game world in general.

I would rather wholeheartedly pay a sub and a box cost before I would entertain the idea of something even as small as dye's being in a cash-shop
  • Options
    ethiricethiric Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with Tarvald. But I would only concede basic dyes being sold. Intermediate to Advanced dyes need to be earned / learned / traded for a vibrant and living economy.
    Aziael
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If there's a basic pallete that everyone has access to, I think it's ok.

But like others have pointed out - it's preferable is dyes are part of the crafting system.

I think this could be better implemented with patterns - instead of dyes.
    You have basic patterns that everyone has access to (stripes, polka-dot, checkers, etc.) and then premium variations of the basic patterns in the shop.
    Then you dye the patterns to the colours you want :)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I would be pissed. This would take money and jobs out of the in game economy. It goes against everything I stand for.

Brings a valid point. What if there are artisans dedicated to making dyes for our equipment? Then would having that option for sale just be giving the finger to said artisans? I haven't taken this perspective into account.

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    OnlyOne wrote: »
    I would be pissed. This would take money and jobs out of the in game economy. It goes against everything I stand for.

Brings a valid point. What if there are artisans dedicated to making dyes for our equipment? Then would having that option for sale just be giving the finger to said artisans? I haven't taken this perspective into account.

Ideally it should be tied to the artisan system. This is a grey area because it is both a cosmetic and something I would expect Herbalists and alchemists to make. Unfortunately I can't find any reference to dyes being crafted. My prior post was made without actually looking into the sad reality of the situation.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetic_items

Personally I really don't like. It permanently makes the in game economy one step lesser than what it could be if dyes were crafted. The only reason they would do this is because they need dyes to be on the list of things that can go in the cash shop. Which is fair enough. It's not a item that would make the game pay to win. I just would rather have dyes be made in game, as they are normally extremely stable in most games.

It looks like the issue is really settled. I can't come up with a reason why dyes would not be in the cash shop at this point.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2020
    Personally I really don't like. It permanently makes the in game economy one step lesser than what it could be if dyes were crafted. The only reason they would do this is because they need dyes to be on the list of things that can go in the cash shop. Which is fair enough. It's not a item that would make the game pay to win. I just would rather have dyes be made in game, as they are normally extremely stable in most games.
    I'm in the same situation - don't like it, but accept it as a reality.

On the assumption that dyes will be bought on the cash shop, I like the idea of buying a pallette rather than a specific dye.

• Options

Ohhhhh, I love that. Zebraraptor!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »

Ohhhhh, I love that. Zebraraptor!

That’s a zebraptor.

The girraptors sadly died out, their excessively long necks making them impractical predators.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Depends on if I can get those same dyes for gold or not.
    If not, then yes. I would be pretty disappointed.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am okay with GW2 dyes so I would be okay if something similar happened.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I don't enjoy dyes being on the store, mostly because they're usually sold inside a loot box or extremely expensive.
    I'd rather have them be farmed recipes in game, and the higher the skill, the higher the purity of the color. For example have base black, black, extreme black.

I also don't like consumable dyes, but I understand it might help the economy, so it makes sense to have a crafter focusing on this and the rare materials.