Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Visual Node-Leveling

So, this is probably a dumb question and not really worth a post, but I was curious....

We know that there are 6 "levels/grades" of a Node's progression:

Level 0 - Wilderness
Level 1 - Expedition
Level 2 - Camp
Level 3 - Village
Level 4 - Town
Level 5 - City
Level 6 - Metropolis

Typically in most (all? heh) other MMO's, a city or town is static. Already pre-built into the fabric of the landscape/world, as per the coding. But in Ashes these hubs will be popping up and crumbling down as players build them up; or they die to war, or entropy due to abandonment.

What I was curious about, is those players who are physically in the vicinity of the 'event' at the moment of it's happening.

- When a Node levels up.
- When a Node ceases to be.

Visually how will this look? What I mean... is if a Node is leveling up (say, from a City to a Metro)... there is a space-related footprint that a Metropolis consumes of the wilderness around it. What happens to Characters standing in the space at that time? Do they witness the Metro springing up before them? Around them? Does it happen all at once, or over the course of X-minutes/X-hours?

Or will the changes to the landscape occur during some "Server Reset" sort of time frame?

It would be fun to witness it happening in real time. If I was given a choice. :) I've seen the videos of Mayors choosing what a plot of land within a city will become; and how the house/building sort of frames itself together (magically). Is that what we'll see?

Or will the Node "be" a 'Metropolis' in Level/Grade only...but the actual structures need to be built one at a time, via the help of players?

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In one of the recent videos live streams they showed a node leveling and Maggie stood next to a box and got moved over out of they way.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Trk0Tik18j8
    Around 43:55 they start to address this. However, everything is subject to change so this may not be the same in a years time
  • Oh!? Hmm... okay, great! I'll take a look at the video. Appreciate it ^_^

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

-HPL
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That's the one. Thanks for linking that.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • So, this is probably a dumb question and not really worth a post, but I was curious....

You kidding me?! Have you seen some of the other threads on here...?! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I find the nodes one of the most interesting aspects of the game but then i am old.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    what do people think about a cutscene and fanfare happening right as it upgrades?

Put a ribbon across the front gate and nobody is allowed inside until the major cuts the ribbon (for tier 3+) HAHAHA
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • maouw wrote: »
    what do people think about a cutscene and fanfare happening right as it upgrades?

Put a ribbon across the front gate and nobody is allowed inside until the major cuts the ribbon (for tier 3+) HAHAHA

Aaaaand everyone has to wait until the mayor logs in.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    maouw wrote: »

Aaaaand everyone has to wait until the mayor logs in.

other potential mayors:
    "See? If I were mayor, this would never have happened!"
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • maouw wrote: »

I think I heard somewhere during a Livestream, that there might be a small parade that happens when a new building becomes available? I don't know if the developers were joking. But they mentioned something like a One-Man Band (seen in Mary Poppins) and a couple other accompanying NPCs.

Thank you for that video also @Jamation ! I never saw that before. Ate up the whole thing!

Haha, and thank you @daveywavey for the vote of confidence. ^_^

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

-HPL