Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Piracy

Anyone else here looking to be a straight up pirate? And will other peoples ship be stealable?

Comments

• Options
    I dont know about anyone else, but I'd love to sneak up on a ship fighting let's say a kraken or something and kill them all to take their ships.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You will be able to attack Trade Ships and steal loot. Not much is known about Naval Content at the moment.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Remind me if I am wrong, but I believe the plan is to have "caravan" boats so you could do that, but otherwise you would be using the corruption system. Unfortunately the corruption system heavily discourages running around rampantly "ganking" anyone you find for their loot. Maybe it will work out, but I am a little skeptical atm.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    My thing is, there should be huge risks taking out a warship to do oceanic shenanigans
  • Options
    We know we can have Trade Ships.
    We know we can have Warships.
    We know some Warships are for 40 Man Raid Crews.

I imagine there will be sea battles - especially during Guild Wars and Node Wars, however, specific details are not substantial and we have seen no actual footage of ships in action at all.

As a side note, jumping into water from high enough will cause health loss though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I mean ships should very expensive to build. I think open ocean should be considered lawless areas and as such should have high risk high reward.
  • Options
    Beyond Guild Wars and Node Wars being outside of the flagging system, I believe only Trade Ships will be exempt from the flagging system. The sea will indeed be a high risk/high reward place because of the two islands and trade distance travelled for trade ships.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    We know we can have Trade Ships.
    We know we can have Warships.
    We know some Warships are for 40 Man Raid Crews.

I imagine there will be sea battles - especially during Guild Wars and Node Wars, however, specific details are not substantial and we have seen no actual footage of ships in action at all.

As a side note, jumping into water from high enough will cause health loss though.

As it should. If I jump into water from high enough I could suffer injuries. So it makes sense there should be some penalty to it.
  • Options
    You could form or join a pirate guild and declare guild wars on any sea farers...but...you might bite off more than you can chew.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    What I would like to see is something like darkfall had as far as navel content. Or possibly even open pvp servers that encourage such actions.
  • Options
    MennisMennis Member
    edited February 2021
    As i remember and understood, the corruption system, it is more punishing towards killing lower lvl opponents.
    As i imagine there would be neutral territories at sea(as we saw there's going to be a big area of water) where you can do things without penalties, that could give room for such playstyles.
  • Options
    There aren't specific server types. All servers will be the same type. All will have The Corruption System in place. The Naval Content will be quite broad. I believe it is based on Archeage Naval Content though. Inspiration has been taken from multiple areas for Ashes.

Due to The Corruption System, it is not clear how rampant sea combat will be. It will face the same limitations as open world PvP on land I believe.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see how they work this. I'd like to hear everyone's idea of a perfect naval system.
  • Options
    I'm pleased there will be duties for raid members to perform on the raid ships. I didn't like BDOs style of Naval Content (Boats overlapped, no cannons to reload, captain does everything, passengers just stood around). So yeah, I love the idea of teamwork on the sea.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    They mentioned spawning ships. Do we believe it will be a figurine type system? And if so would it be dropped upon death?
  • Options
    LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They were talking fondly about ocean battles in AA, which means they probably sailed with Pace and his crew, or against Pace and his crew. Either way AA had some of the best naval combat I’ve seen in an MMO in regards to risk v rewards. BDO was bad and Darkfall was too buggy to be seriously considered. I’m curious how it is in Sea of Thieves - Xbox only so haven’t played that :(

All that being said, something I’d like to see done better in this game is for sea battles to be more about actual fights from the ships which require players to get ships damaged or tangled before boarding them. Moving ships around and blasting cannon should really matter, and there should also be some point where players should be able to choose to board the enemy ship and attack, or to keep blazing and sink her.

The default strategy shouldn’t be to just jump off your ship and swim (like it often was in AA) or to be just ship v ship (like it was in BDO). “Naval battles” where everyone is swimming in the water because it’s more effective than battles on deck are really just missing the hurdle.

Anyone here have a really good ocean ship pvp experience to share that involved a different game not mentioned?
  • Options
    Naval caravans

Caravans are capable of transitioning from land to naval caravans. So if you start out as a land-based Caravan and you move to the coast and you want to move into the water there's gonna be a little transition period there; it's gonna be a little construction kind of site: You're not gonna have to do anything it's just gonna be a timer right so that you can't quickly move between land and water. It's gonna be probably in the matter of you know a minute to two minutes. There's a little bit of vulnerability in that regard. – Steven Sharif

Naval caravans (Trade ships) are part of Ashes of Creation naval content. Naval caravans allow the transportation of trading goods.

Naval caravans are capable of transitioning to and from land caravans at the point of intersection of land and ocean.
    These caravans will come in varying sizes and capacities.
    By default naval caravans have a racial appearance. Players will be able to apply caravan skins to change this appearance.

Summoning ships
    Ships (excluding Naval caravans) can only be summoned from a port or harbor.

Ships may be able to be summoned in rivers (or other bodies of water) depending on the depth of the water.
    Naval caravans are initiated when a land-based caravan intersects with an ocean.
    You can summon your ships up but you'll need to summon them from land, which means that if something happens to your armada out at sea you won't have backups to just summon immediately in the middle of the fight... They'll have to do so from shore somewhere from some port or harbor. – Steven Sharif
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    He mentioned a harpooning mechanic for timing ships together which would indicate to me naval combat could be more than just vs caravan ships.
  • Options
    Naval Content will be broad. I can't be more specific because we haven't seen Naval Content except concepts. There will be massive sea battles for sure. There will be trade ships raided much like caravans on land. I don't have much information beyond the information on the wiki and what I've gleaned from the livestreams and concept art.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    What are people hoping to see from this part of the game?
  • Options
    A naval version of the Cloud Riders from Star Wars: Solo.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    We are all hyped for Alpha-1 info, but Alpha-2 is the one I am most interested in, because of the introduction of Naval content, all races, all classes, and the rest.

I would like to see Captains being able to 'Flag' their ship, and crew, against another Captain who can do the same to avoid unwanted, and unnecessary corruption system in these cases. Spontaneously suspending the corruption system between two groups of 8, 16, or 40 in the open world who don't want it, should be a thing.
  • Options
    Steven mentioned large lawless areas of the game and I'd like to assume the ocean is one of those.
  • Options
    Yours truly is GREATLY looking forward to the sea-crossing of caravans. The Naval part reeks of high adventure, as we seek to plunder your shipments of sugarcane, tobacco, and spices....

I'm greatly hoping to find a Scientific Node close to a starting gate that will have coastal access.

• Options
    With the ability to pull a mount out of your ass at whim, being attacked in general doesn't worry me. Attack me on my ship and I'll just pull a flying mount out and fly away, lol.
  • Options
    Merek wrote: »
    With the ability to pull a mount out of your ass at whim, being attacked in general doesn't worry me. Attack me on my ship and I'll just pull a flying mount out and fly away, lol.

Great! Consider yourself attacked!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

So you will be one of the 10-20 people on your server with a flying mount?
  • Options
    Mowaby wrote: »

Merek will have a Timed Flying Mount so it would be prudent to attack just as the timer runs out.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

If that's still the case, I'll just pull some aquatic mount out and speed away. No need to worry about being attacked when I have a getaway vehicle in my back pocket at all times.
  • Options

If that's still the case, I'll just pull some aquatic mount out and speed away. No need to worry about being attacked when I have a getaway vehicle in my back pocket at all times.

Cool leave your ship so I can steal it