Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tattered banners

RalizekRalizek Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Had an idea I wanted to bounce around.
What do you think about being able to hang tattered guild banners for guilds you've defeated?
For instance let's say guild leaders have a torn banner they drop when you kill a guild leader.
Then you could hang a bunch of tattered banners on your freehold or guild hall, sorta like badges of honor.
maybe guilds can get something if they can take back their flag by destroying your guild hall or freehold. Maybe if two opposing guilds both have each others torn bankers they can parlay and trade them back. Possibly even turn them in to an NPC of a node for some boosted defenses or node Xp.

Comments

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I 100% love this idea.

Since the guild wars feature is going to be prominent in game, and its going to be part of the PvP seasons, I think being able to have a trophy case of the guilds you've defeated or force to surrender is great.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Yeah, that's something a guild could show off as well. IT'd be neat.
  • CadacCadac Member
    As a bonus no new assets, major mechanics. or changes to core game. Nice.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'd be all for it, but you should be able to steal an old banner of your back during a subsequent guild war.
  • I legitimately really like the idea. Have it displayed in your guild hall too, even if you later trade it back.
    We need some ledger recanting the guild war history etc.

I also like Noaani's idea of perhaps being able to steal it back, though I don't know how you would do so. If I remember it well, Guild Halls are instanced?
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Asgerr wrote: »
    I legitimately really like the idea. Have it displayed in your guild hall too, even if you later trade it back.
    We need some ledger recanting the guild war history etc.

I also like Noaani's idea of perhaps being able to steal it back, though I don't know how you would do so. If I remember it well, Guild Halls are instanced?

I'm not sure how instancing would impact this at all.

That said, they are not instanced.
  • I think it would also be cool if somewhere on the banner it displayed all the guilds that took the flag, like a lineology of the guild wars and where the banner has been.
  • RalizekRalizek Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    If they displayed all the names of people or guilds that have taken a banner, they would have to make banners unique I believe. (Perhaps that could hinder something in the guilds talent system in some way. Even something as simple as you can’t gain anymore talents until you get your banner back?)That would more or less require guilds to reclaim their lost banners.
    Otherwise ten different guilds could have the same guilds banner and there could be 100 names of guilds on the item.

Ultimately however I think adding names of guilds or people who have taken the banner would be detrimental to a guilds moral and could ultimately hurt a guild. If say a guild was within its first year and still working out the kinks, they may not be able to defend against an organized guild. That wouldn’t mean they are a bad guild but if a new player looks and see’s 10 names have taken this guilds banner, they may not join and thus over time the guild could stagnate.
    As extreme as that scenario sounds, Simply leaving the names off prevents things like that.
  • Hang the guild banners next to your boss kill trophies, sounds good to me!
  • Ralizek wrote: »
    If they displayed all the names of people or guilds that have taken a banner, they would have to make banners unique I believe. (Perhaps that could hinder something in the guilds talent system in some way. Even something as simple as you can’t gain anymore talents until you get your banner back?)That would more or less require guilds to reclaim their lost banners.
    Otherwise ten different guilds could have the same guilds banner and there could be 100 names of guilds on the item.

Ultimately however I think adding names of guilds or people who have taken the banner would be detrimental to a guilds moral and could ultimately hurt a guild. If say a guild was within its first year and still working out the kinks, they may not be able to defend against an organized guild. That wouldn’t mean they are a bad guild but if a new player looks and see’s 10 names have taken this guilds banner, they may not join and thus over time the guild could stagnate.
    As extreme as that scenario sounds, Simply leaving the names off prevents things like that.

I see your points. I wasn't thinking it would be a visible feature on the flag, I was thinking the names would be stored as metadata and would only be visible when the banner is down. It would definitely be something that would have to be tested in alpha/beta, though if it's handled well protecting the pride of your banner could be an interesting mechanic... though it would probably break down and cause lots of negativity
  • SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea of some sort of "trophy" for the guilds you have defeated in a guild war. I wouldn't put any sort of "gotta do something to get it back or your guild has a debuff" mechanic. That would deter people from doing these wars and also put the losing team at even more of a disadvantage next time around. A temporary buff for beating another guild? sounds good to me.

Perhaps instead there is a count for each time you defeat a guild? Maybe it shows win/loss records by guild?