Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

dopc

2»

Comments

• Options
    ItsFayneItsFayne Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ramirez wrote: »
    Gw2 is a fashion war game, that is the endgame, ashes Will have much more to Care then cosmetics

bad opinion.
    7l7hsjx.png
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited May 2021
    It's funny how people complained about the fact that they didn't want a cash shop and any cosmetics.

As soon as they have been given further proof that the cosmetics:
    • Aren't supposed to be bought willy nilly
    • Are restricted to one character
    • Will likely not be too present in the game because of the previous point

People freak out about wanting all the skins for all the characters.... what??
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Asgerr wrote: »
    It's funny how people complained about the fact that they didn't want a cash shop and any cosmetics.

As soon as they have been given further proof that the cosmetics:
    • Aren't supposed to be bought willy nilly
    • Are restricted to one character
    • Will likely not be too present in the game because of the previous point

People freak out about wanting all the skins for all the characters.... what??

Not the same people, different people.
    It's too easy to conflate everyone in a crowd into 1 identity.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    I think limiting paid for cosmetics to 1 character and adding a cooldown for swapping are both terrible ideas. If I decided to buy a cosmetic item. I want to own that item and put it on whatever character I bloody well want to. I did pay for it, after all.

in game cosmetics limited to the character that unlocks them? I'm totally okay with. Weirdly enough.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Did we not just have the conversation last week?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited May 2021
    I fully support the limitations on cosmetics since I am most likely not even gonna be buying them. :wink:

You should already be happy enough that you are allowed to slap down cash to make your character prettier instead of going out and accomplishing something in game to get that pretty cosmetic.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    I think most people are misunderstanding this whole issue...

How do we know that having one skin restricted to one character is a worse deal dollar wise than having unrestricted application.

Naturally, if AOC decides to make skins available on multiple characters, the price of those skins will increase versus a skin that is only available to one character. Are we trying to benchmark the pricing of skins against other games now? that doesn't seem reasonable or even possible at this state. We don't even know what constitutes as a fair or unfair price.

That being said, this decision offers more flexibility for players. If you play on one character then just buy 1 skin. If you play multiple characters then just buy 2 skins. Simple as that. Where as, in games where skins can be applied to multiple characters, players who use only 1 character are actually paying a premium on their purchase price (unknowingly). The best analogy is like someone who get super excited on bundle deals/sales, but after they don't even make use of what they bought. Or some bundle sales are not even sales because they are the same price if you bought individually, it is just to make you buy more than what you need.

• Options
    Swaftworth wrote: »
    Personally, I think limiting PAID cosmetics to 1 character at a time makes little to no sense other than for players to have to spend more money on cosmetics they think look cool.

Exactly. You are on point.
    Yet, you are missing the point at the same time.

Game dev is a bussines my friend.

• Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
  • Options
    Swaftworth wrote: »
    walalaboom wrote: »
    I think most people are misunderstanding this whole issue...

That being said, this decision offers more flexibility for players. If you play on one character then just buy 1 skin. If you play multiple characters then just buy 2 skins. Simple as that.

if anything it provides less in the opposing system if you buy 1 skin that isn't limited to 1 character instead of HAVING to purchase another skin for another character you can simply just use the one you previously purchased rather than making a player have to purchase more cosmetics. Even if your proposal is the reason why can we not actively buy multiple of the same pack/skins? it seems they didn't plan for this system.

you are assuming they're gonna charge the same price in both scenarios.
    if money isn't an issue for you, then sure, having one skin useable for multiple characters is more straight forward
    but then again, I don't see how an extra click to purchase one more skin is that much more effort.

as for your second point...who said you can‘t buy multiple skins on one account?the game isn't even out
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    walalaboom wrote: »

as for your second point...who said you can‘t buy multiple skins on one account?the game isn't even out

So Steven will occasionally make statements that seem to contradict previous information when he gets excited or has many different things being thrown at him. They always get pointed out and they go back to clean it up. The system of cosmetics being account bound and being able to be used on a single character at at time has long been the answer. An errant maybe caused everyone to freak out a bit. As to your comment about multiple skins on one account? They have also addressed this in the past. I ended up with two because of a promotion, they ended up changing the second one on my account to another one, because duplicate skins have no use.
    image0.png?width=1018&height=1076
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    When I watched the discussion, I got the impression that Steven thought the question was about in-game progress and similar things.
    His response was entirely focused on "gameplay progression" and the "alt experience" and "the commitment to a character"

I don't think his response was directed at all to things that are generally account-wide like cosmetics or achievements. I honestly think he misinterpreted the question, and the question was actually directed at those things.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't like the concept of having cooldowns for swapping cosmetics between alts on the same account. Early on we were told that we could only buy one of a cosmetic but we could freely swap them to alts on the same account. There is no valid reason why there should be a cooldown other to be punishing to players.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited May 2021
    T Elf wrote: »
    There is no valid reason why there should be a cooldown other to be punishing to players.

Giving meaningful consideration to when you play your main and your alts = punishment... interesting opinion.

I agree that it may suck if you were switching alts every 5 minutes. But if the cooldown is, say, in the range of a couple of hours, then you'll likely not even notice when playing your alt for a number of hours straight.

Hell, even if it were a 24h cooldown. It just means that you get to spend said 24h with one character. That pushes to you towards progressing that alt, rather than hot potatoing things.

And if you think you'll be changing alts every hour or so, then perhaps what cosmetic they use isn't really a priority that needs to addressed there.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Again, I'm not sure if the typical account-wide things are what he was talking about
  • Options
    It's a cash grab. There's nothing more to it than that. If you want to play dress-up with cosmetics, you have to buy each character their own outfit, or go through a ballache of unequipping/equipping/cooldown/etc every time you change characters. If you're happy with that, then spend away. If you're not, then vote with your feet and don't buy.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/