Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

maybe not a dps meter but what about this...

Comments

• Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    Noaani can literally talk alone for 40 pages and no one would notice.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Marcet wrote: »

If a thread about DPS meters is made and Noaani does not reply. Did the thread even really exist?
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Notice? Yes.

Care? Maybe not
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

If a thread about DPS meters is made and Noaani does not reply. Did the thread even really exist?

This is clearly a hypothetical situation, but I do think the answer has to be no.
  • Options
    Recluse74Recluse74 Member
    edited May 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    Recluse74 wrote: »
    Figuring out things without a combat tracker is funnier and makes the game more interesting.

You guys are just addicted to combat trackers from past games, and that's all.

I have to agree. The argument is they want tougher content... turn off your tracker and you got it ;)

You are not paying attention
    Now, the developers of an MMO are able to make content difficult enough for it to be impossible to kill - even with trackers. Based on this, the notion of actual difficulty is a pointless discussion in relation to trackers.
    Difficulty and complexity are not the same thing.

We want complex encounters, complex encounters are fun. The complexity of encounter that we are used to having (that Intrepid need to match to bring these players in) does need a combat tracker.

Now, Intrepid absolutely could make hard encounters without that complexity, but as I said earlier
    You could have an encounter that requires 100% perfect DPS and healing, but if that is all there is to it, you have a hard, simple, boring encounter.
    That isnt the kind of thing that is going to attract top end raiders to the game.

Now, here is a question specifically for you, @Recluse74

You are not going to be in that top single digit of raiders in Ashes. I think we can both agree on that.

With that in mind, why are you getting involved in a discussion that literally only involves the players that will fit in to that category?

While I am more than happy to throw in my opinion on many topics, you wont see me actively arguing my case in regards to content I know I will not participate in, especially if the suggestions being made have no effect outside of that content.

So many things to answer here..

Difficulty and complexity... If you take away the tracker, your complexity lies in figuring out builds by using COMMUNICATION with other players on how you will build your characters and attack said raid boss...

Difficulty of the raid boss would then be based on how well you built your team.

As far as me being in the top single digit of raiders... No I will not, and neither will you if you follow the rules ;)
    How can I prove this? You need it so bad to be good, you are literally begging for a tracker, and if you do not get one, you will use it anyway... this makes me laugh at how dependent you are in them... This is where you say.. "No, it is because it is fun for us" and then I answer "I dont care"...

Edit: Top end raiders do not make the game. Some how, past MMOs you have played, have imprinted this idea that raiding is the be all end all to a MMO. Just like people who PvP get upset when an MMO does not have Open World PvP... the game still lives on without it, just as this will live on without top end raiders if they do not want to play this game.
  • Options
    @Recluse74

Howdy,

I am not pro or anti tracker in general. I think if Intrepid does their diligence they can prevent all, but the most extreme users from using trackers. I truly think Intrepid is going to have a very hard time completely preventing trackers. It is a cat and mouse game that ends with Noaani having a second computer with a cam pointed at his monitor doing real time image detection and text classification. The Nvidia Jeson Nano is perfect at this... If he wants a DPS meter as hard as he argues for it. He will have it.

Assuming that he did make a tracker with this physical hardware. It would be nothing to have a preconfigured set up on GitHub. Not saying it is right or wrong. Just saying if pushed to that extreme I don't think there is anything Intrepid could do to detect trackers. They have already stated that multi-boxing is allowed because it is to hard to enforce multi-boxing not being allowed. I am just skeptical that this is a battle that can be completely won.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    @Recluse74

Howdy,

I am not pro or anti tracker in general. I think if Intrepid does their diligence they can prevent all, but the most extreme users from using trackers. I truly think Intrepid is going to have a very hard time completely preventing trackers. It is a cat and mouse game that ends with Noaani having a second computer with a cam pointed at his monitor doing real time image detection and text classification. The Nvidia Jeson Nano is perfect at this... If he wants a DPS meter as hard as he argues for it. He will have it.

Assuming that he did make a tracker with this physical hardware. It would be nothing to have a preconfigured set up on GitHub. Not saying it is right or wrong. Just saying if pushed to that extreme I don't think there is anything Intrepid could do to detect trackers. They have already stated that multi-boxing is allowed because it is to hard to enforce multi-boxing not being allowed. I am just skeptical that this is a battle that can be completely won.

I 100% agree, I know people will have them in game. My issue is, his line of thinking is, if people are going to use them anyway, you might as well just let everyone use them by adding them to the game. As for winning the argument, I am not here to win it, I am here to let anyone of importance who may read this know, that there are people against it. If this was a thread that was nothing but people for it, the argument would have more ground to stand on.. Im just here to minimize that ground the best I can... and Just like him, I will not stop posting till the game launches ;)

If he uses one of his own creation or from someone else, that is his deal. Every accomplishment he brags about will have a * next to it my book.
  • Options

Difficulty and complexity... If you take away the tracker, your complexity lies in figuring out builds by using COMMUNICATION with other players on how you will build your characters and attack said raid boss.

Difficulty of the raid boss would then be based on how well you built your team.
    No it doesn't.

I have never once seen an encounter in which a specific build of a character was needed and not blatantly obvious.

Not once. In any game.

There are encounters that require specific builds from one, some or many people on the raid, but this is always blatantly obvious after a single pull.

Honestly, this comment just comes across as someone that thinks they know what raiding is about, but really have no first hand experience at it at all - as this is literally never a situation.

As far as me being in the top single digit of raiders... No I will not
    So, why are you weighing in on a topic that literally only impacts those in that group?

Edit: Top end raiders do not make the game.
    I agree with this statement.

However, Steven has said that he wants content in the game that only a small fraction of the population will kill (less than 10%). He wants that in the game because that gives everyone else something to strive for - meaning that even the content put in for that small fraction of the game is really there for the larger population.

However, in order to have that small fraction of the population able to take on something that the rest aren't, you need a small percentage of the population that are "better" (in quotes because better in terms of raiding is multi-faceted, and doesn'tonly mean better in the way many think it does) than the bulk of the population.

In other words, the stated aim for Ashes to have that small amount of content that only a small percentage of the population are able to kill does indeed require top end raiders.

My issue is, his line of thinking is, if people are going to use them anyway, you might as well just let everyone use them by adding them to the game.
    That is not my line of thinking.

My line of thinking is - combat trackers will be in the game, either first, second or third party.

The best thing for all people involved is if Intrepid have control over combat trackers. In order for Intrepid to have control over combat trackers, they need to implement a combat tracker that provides no less than the minimum people like myself consider necessary.

If Intrepid offer this, then developing second or third party combat trackers simply isn't worth the time, meaning they won't exist.

From there, my line of thinking goes on to detail exactly what the minimum required is - a combat tracker that is available to top end guilds, and can track a full raid and it's target encounter with every action being recorded.

Based on this, my suggestion is and has always been that a combat tracker be added to the game as a guild perk option that is available at the same point as many other valuable things to other types of guilds, so that only the few guilds that really value a combat tracker would consider taking it. When selected, this combat tracker is available to which ever ranks the guilds leadership assigns access to (only leaders, all officers, all full members, all members, what ever works for the guild in question). Further, this combat tracker only tracks the combat of members of that specific guild. If you have a raid made up of two guilds that both have this perk selected, each guild has it's own readout that only shows the members of that guild. Rather than being an always-on UI element, this combat tracker will be a part of the guild window, and those with access can look up encounters from the past 6 hours (if that player was present for the pull). Additionally, the guild can opt to save specific pulls of encounters so they remain able to be viewed longer than 6 hours, and can be viewed by whom ever has access to that guilds combat tracker.

This has been my point for several years. Find an issue with it.
  • Options
    They have already stated that multi-boxing is allowed because it is to hard to enforce multi-boxing not being allowed. I am just skeptical that this is a battle that can be completely won.
    This is an interesting point - I had not made that connection.

Multi-boxing is easier to detect than a combat tracker. If multi-boxing is too hard for them, then combat trackers are far too hard for them.

Maybe if those of us wanting a tracker all paid Intrepid an additional $15 a month they would suddenly consider them too hard to enforce as well.

• Options
    Maybe if those of us wanting a tracker all paid Intrepid an additional $15 a month they would suddenly consider them too hard to enforce as well.

Them allowing multi-boxing is not about the money. It is just because any methods of proving you don't have another account are too intrusive, and if you are a family that uses the same bank information/address you would not be able to make multiple accounts to play together. They can't do anything to determine if you are one guy with two accounts or a dad and his son.

I know you know that. I just don't know if everyone reading your reply will understand that. I have not seen the multi-box arguments in months. I don't want to be the guy to raise them from the dead.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    I know you know that. I just don't know if everyone reading your reply will understand that.

Indeed.

And honestly, I only said it because I was expecting this reply. Though I am sure that is something you either suspected, or outright knew.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    IF combat trackers are going to be used anyways, I prefer it to be an addon and a tool completely external to the game, but that's my opinion.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I got a sudden Idea, could they possibly just use something like the League of Legends death report as a ongoing status effect bar that shows the damage being done to the boss from certain abilities or the heals to a person showing where the heals come from . It would next to their health bar in a dropdown menu so it would not bothering everyone and only the raid leader would probably have it always open (open to everyone but not everyone needs to see it) it would be mainly for the raiders (since they need it the most) and it would mostly absent and useless in casual play.
  • Options
    IF combat trackers are going to be used anyways, I prefer it to be an addon and a tool completely external to the game, but that's my opinion.

Is there a specific reason for this?

I am of the opinion that every tool or utility that players would be expected to use should be built in to the game itself (which is a part of why I find recent suggestions that I may be affiliated with/profiting from ACT to be amusing).
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    I know that a big portion of the no tracker community is only after big impressive monsters that have awesome animations that can really intimidate any player. These people are completely fine with the boss being moving target dummy that from time to time does an aoe that you need to avoid.

These bosses are completely fine and good fun when you are either laughing with your friends on discord or watching netflix, because these bosses are literally killable by 100% of the playerbase - you just need to show up with max level character

Encounter design is critical skill that devs need to have in order to truly create raids that only less than 10% of the playerbase is capable of killing. If this was mispoken and that this is just the expected playerbase kill participation, because of entry requirements that often time will only come from the game PvP system then all is good - but as far as I know this isnt the case with the available information

And btw for bosses to have a gimmick that requires the raid to have specific archetype-archetype combo is just lazy design. It has never been a good gameplay to bring a certain player only because his class choice allows the boss to be killable
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited May 2021
    Tragnar wrote: »
    I know that a big portion of the no tracker community is only after big impressive monsters that have awesome animations that can really intimidate any player. These people are completely fine with the boss being moving target dummy that from time to time does an aoe that you need to avoid.

I tend to disagree with this statement, it's the same as saying that a big portion of the "Pro Tracker" Community is too stupid to figure things out themselves. (which is also not true)

No matter how hard the content is, it is designed for you the player to defeat a boss with a group of X size. This implies that you do not require an addon or tracker, what you do need is a team, communication, and trust in the people you are playing with.

Not having a tracker doesn't mean that content will be easier, that it will be less interesting or fun. It will or at least it can make it so that it will take longer for YOU as the player to beat certain content. This making content more relevant.

MMO's require players and these players have to be kept engaged. Creating new content is not easy, especially at the current speed we absorb it on some games. One way of keeping content relevant is by making it hard, giving players tools to make it easier because like it or not Trackers do make it easier (indirectly through being able to optimize your char. faster) can lead to content being absorbed a lot faster which would mean that X% of players will give up their subscription faster.

There are always people that will stop playing out of frustration but as proven several times. The majority of people will continue until they defeat X. It's a drug for many players.

If I can ask, in its current state there are not trackers/meters and let's assume that there is no 3rd party tool either. Would you play this game? Maybe this is a make-or-break-it thing for you. (just curious)
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited May 2021
    I will play ashes even if no tracker exists, the only only dealbreaker is the form of the endgame. If all PvE encounters are just zergs then I would consider that a dealbreaker, because a game only with pvp and target dummies is not for me

no tracker doesnt effect me that much, because I just create sims for characters that i main in mmos

so as long as we can learn the game mechanics and skill values/scaling then i'm all set

― Plato
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    I will play ashes even if no tracker exists, the only only dealbreaker is the form of the endgame. If all PvE encounters are just zergs then I would consider that a dealbreaker, because a game only with pvp and target dummies is not for me

I get ya, not sure if you played Gw2. But the World bosses are fun but are just a zerg fest at best.
    The world should be "dangerous" in the sense that bosses should be designed that without PVP you can wipe. The PvP element should be considered an extra, or at least be only a fraction of the scaling process.
  • Options
    khitomerkhitomer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Lmao.. this makes sense.

Prolific flamers - every game forum has them.
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    halbarz wrote: »

I get ya, not sure if you played Gw2. But the World bosses are fun but are just a zerg fest at best.
    The world should be "dangerous" in the sense that bosses should be designed that without PVP you can wipe. The PvP element should be considered an extra, or at least be only a fraction of the scaling process.

I heard that and exactly this reason is why I never even thought of trying the game out

There are just not that many game options where you can play with a lot of people with the shared goal of beating really hard challenges as 1 team

I personally was really tempted to play FFXIV, but that weeb style just is somewhat repulsive for me

I'm just glad that I can chill in classic wow - and in tbc before all these new mmos come out

― Plato
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We'll have to see how good the devs are at detecting cheats.
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member

I heard that and exactly this reason is why I never even thought of trying the game out

There are just not that many game options where you can play with a lot of people with the shared goal of beating really hard challenges as 1 team

I personally was really tempted to play FFXIV, but that weeb style just is somewhat repulsive for me

I'm just glad that I can chill in classic wow - and in tbc before all these new mmos come out

Let's be honest WoW will not go anywhere for a long time :) And I hope you play Ashes, and can enjoy it.
    FF14 isn't a bad game but I do not like the style, ESO I find the combat boring, maybe we all became to picky :p

Hopefully you will have a great time in TBC, not sure if New World or Elyon is your style of game but these are two other MMO's coming out in the next few months that may could spark your interest :)
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited May 2021

Let's be honest WoW will not go anywhere for a long time :) And I hope you play Ashes, and can enjoy it.
    FF14 isn't a bad game but I do not like the style, ESO I find the combat boring, maybe we all became to picky :p

Hopefully you will have a great time in TBC, not sure if New World or Elyon is your style of game but these are two other MMO's coming out in the next few months that may could spark your interest :)

My current plan is to focus on tbc that comes out not even in a month and to finally fulfill my childhood dream of killing Kil'Jaeden in the last raid and that should at least take the whole year. So after that time I am kinda sure that I'll be keeping a close eye on Ashes and the riot mmo.

I tried ESO and quite enjoyed it, but idk it just didn't hook me into it with anything - like don't get me wrong it is a good game, but for me it is easily forgettable game

― Plato
  • Options
    khitomerkhitomer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    ESO had a nice look to it and some of the graphics were amazing (like the realistic look of ice shards in a frost caster's spell).

What turned me off was the free form combat when I was used to wow and macros, etc.

The ability to switch in and out of the two types of combat in AOC is the best decision they could have made.

FF14 and BDO likewise didnt appeal because of the weeb design.

In between waiting for testing windows, Im going to have fun ganking old guildies in TBC and probably have a decent crack at a D2R season when it finally comes out.

6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

You say this kind of thing often. I'd really like to hear how you think the developers are able to detect an application that is not running on any computer they have access to.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited May 2021

You say this kind of thing often. I'd really like to hear how you think the developers are able to detect an application that is not running on any computer they have access to.

They can hire an army of private detectives with hacking skills that will make regular checks on a certain top percentage of players and make sure they dont have tracker setup on different pc :joy:

― Plato
  • Options

They can hire an army of private detectives with hacking skills that will make regular checks on a certain top percentage of players and make sure they dont have tracker setup on different pc :joy:

Are they making house calls now?
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    just trying to imagine the possible lengths of what you can do if you want to truly get rid of trackers

― Plato
  • Options
    just trying to imagine the possible lengths of what you can do if you want to truly get rid of trackers

Indeed.

It just isn't feasible.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited May 2021
    I legit didn't even think of the angle that banning multiboxers is too hard

I mean how hard it is to create a software that checks player input from the same ip for being replicated by multiboxing software

plus you can even create a software that flags accounts for possible multiboxing and run the input recognition on those just in case that the multiboxer uses different vpn for every account he uses

I mean if they consider this being too hard then how on earth are they going to stop 3rd party data export?

Not to say that I am legit extremely concerned about the anticheat

― Plato
  • Options

I mean how hard it is to create a software that checks player input from the same ip
    Nah, house calls for them too!