Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Steven's Question on Hair Customisation

2»

Comments

• Options
    MochikyMochiky Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There should be almost no limits in customizing your chars. The fear moste people have is in my eyes not making any sense at all. Having the options to really make the char how you love it will just make the game better and if u say but the world needs to be immersive....You guys will play in a world where we got Turtles with swirling galaxys on the back foxes with two tails and fire spreading a full mushroom armor and so on xD if you fear looks will break immersion in any way you should be against all cool stuff ingame two. I really really hope armors chars mounts and all cosmetic stuff get as good and crazy as they can ;)
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    all I want is a glow in the dark dye, so gankers can see me from miles away :P
  • Options
    WoodOxWoodOx Member, Explorer, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My opinion has already been said a few times so I'll offer an idea. What if hair colour is limited per race, but in the "make-up/cosmetic" slider hair dye is an option where folks can get more creative if they wish. I like having lore/race specific colours myself, but seeing someone else with blue streaks in their hair doesn't bother me. Seeing someone with a wide bobble head, 5 foot torso and 1 foot tall spaghetti legs DOES bother me though (shoutout to AION!).
  • Options
    BlackheartedBlackhearted Member
    edited May 2021
    I would like having some presets that leave room for customization.
    Ie mohawk that allows u to determine density, length, hue and curvature.
    Different races have different characteristics even in humans so it would make sense to me that races in game have distinctive marks.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I favor restricted pallets that are respective to the race and lore. No RGB infinity sliders for me thanks.

But I'll definitely like a 1-100 slider of natural tones with maybe a second layer.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think I prefer a broad pallet of colors over pure freedom. More extreme hair colors as end game rewards might be cool. It could play into the anime style "the guy with colored hair is the main character" trope.
  • Options
    I'm fine with full customization. If people make stupid characters just exclude them. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    The more customization the better

Yup. Mohawks for all races!!!
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited May 2021
    The more customization for the player, the better.
    Except for shape of the meshes which should be wisely limited.

Ideas and trends travel very far in space and time, I don't think it would break inmersion more than a deformed mesh or hitbox.
  • Options
    ZenceZence Member, Alpha One
    Honestly, in my opinion the more customization the better. Yes there is that immersion breaking argument but in reality, even in real life people are able (and do) some interesting things with their bodies/hair/etc. I wouldn't personally be too upset if there was slightly limited options since I am a pretty basic guy when it comes to character creation and try to aim for a more realism factor , but on the flip side wouldn't mind if you could do as your imagination allows either.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Saedu wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    The more customization the better

Yup. Mohawks for all races!!!

My dwarf friend would love that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Non symmetrical facial hair.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited May 2021
    tautau wrote: »
    Non symmetrical facial hair.

yeah bro I want to look like someone dunked my face in glue and then randomly placed patches of pubes at my face.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’ll say the same thing here that I said on the Twitter post:

Best thing to do is probably give us options but make sure there’s a wide range. Otherwise, people will make things that look objectively bad just for the sake of it.

• Options
    JaymaJayma Member
    Wide range of presets for me, but no free sliders, always turn bad in some way. ^^'
  • Options
    XerayReaperXerayReaper Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm all for highly customizable characters, but I also think there needs to be somewhat restrictions on certain aspects of the customizations. Like, some races can have special customization options(orc could have more piercings than a human or elf), but things like hair, I'd say at the START allow for racial hairstyles(Humans have more of a traditional and stylized hair options, Orcs have shaven tops, shaven ponytails, etc), then when you unlock the barber/stylist you can use other hair options. I also wouldn't want to see the use of neon/bright hair colors, because those just feel out of place in a game like this.

I think FFXIV has a great character customization tool; especially with them adding on more hair styles as the game went on. Never saw any characters looking out of place or strange, and their races do have their own racial options(Hyur Midlander, I think has access to certain tattoos that other races don't, and not every race's facial hair looks the same either).

I think the best idea of customization, in general, is simplicity is key. Most times, all that customizing doesn't really matter, since you're barely actually looking at your character's face or whatever; at most, you're just seeing their hair(and we have no idea how expressive the characters will be either), but a more range of options are far better than convoluted sliders and such. 40 hairstyles to choose from, with 40 color palettes each, 20 facial hair options, and 10 types of scars/facial cosmetics is ALL most games need, in my opinion. Because, at the end of the day, you're stay and playing for the game; and most of the freedom of expression and customizing comes from your gear/cosmetics.
  • Options
    I dont mind seeing blue/green/purple hair as long as it is within reason. The sample image provided above shows how bad it can get with neon green hair and neon blue beards. If it could be muted somewhat, so you could still have blue hair but not have it be so flamboyant, I think is fine.

For me, I would stick with natural hair colors. I am never a fan of over-the-top fantasy characters and designs.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited May 2021
    Completely customisable. There's someone at my work with blue hair, even though blue hair isn't standard for caucasian hair colouring. But, it's fine, cos that's the hair colour they want. Hair styles and colours are one of the ways people like to assert some individuality. There's no reason the same wouldn't be true in Sanctus/Verra.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited May 2021
    Goatrek wrote: »
    unknown.png

That is freaking awesome!!!

You notice how no-one's even bothered commenting on the boring normal-looking one, cos it's so bland and pathetic? Whoever made that dark-skinned bright-coloured one is amazing B)<3
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    daveywavey wrote: »
    unknown.png

You notice how no-one's even bothered commenting on the boring normal-looking one, cos it's so bland and pathetic? Whoever made that dark-skinned bright-coloured one is amazing B)<3

Well the other one is an NPC.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    unknown.png

It's still pretty darn dull, though, right? I'd much rather play as the awesome one.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    unknown.png

It's still pretty darn dull, though, right? I'd much rather play as the awesome one.

0f29159a3f498f2dda76cc83d72a0c6e.jpg

Put some respect on this girl!! She best girl in Monster Hunter World
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021

This little lass would like a word...

xW7M594.png

Shes so cute <3

I call her vaalerie.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

xW7M594.png

Shes so cute <3

I call her vaalerie.

Dammit! Got that song in my head, now....
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

xW7M594.png

Shes so cute <3

I call her vaalerie.

Allow me to quote Kabal from the latest Mortal Kombat movie.

Kabal : * sarcastic tone * Yeah, that screech is a real turn-on.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    unknown.png

I respectfully disagree.

Her mannerisms make me cringe until my face is inside out.
    Even Navi's "Hey Listen" is more bearable.
    :(
    I wish I were deep and tragic