Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player Reputation, Fighting against toxicity!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ArukoruArukoru Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think trolling has a place to an extent, I've personally never liked any system that relies on voting. Ever been booted from a WoW dungeon because someone was an a-hole to you and you gave them the same treatment back but it turns out they are a premade? Welcome to deserter penalty and why I hate any kind of system like this. Yes it has a place in theory but it holds you hostage in certain situations.

> *Have the right to refuse service to a bad rep player by entering his name on a block list, and when he tries to buy have a message for him saying he is being refused service.

I think this is the best thing on your post personally, I love the idea of refusing service to someone you hate and vice versa. This would have to have some kind of cooldown though because it would be incredibly awful if you had a house someplace and got banned from purchasing stuff because you voted against the current mayor or something.

As a general aside, I grew up on the old internet where abuse and trolling was an art form. I don't expect everyone else to be able to put up with that, but I've been in a couple games that tried to tackle the issue and it always makes the game so much worse. League of Legends is a prime example, reporting people is a form of trolling itself. If you use a curse word and someone else notices, they can report you afterwards and it adds to your likelihood of getting banned. I don't think this is the biggest issue ever, it just seems to cultivate a weird vigilantism and toxicity in itself when you have too many systems in place. On the flipside, you can truly ruin someone's day and type positive things in chat while purposely destroying the game for everyone else involved and not get a ban or even warning.

Just a minor caution on my end but I like the spirit of the post.
    khFjCQJ.png
  • Options
    fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Any active reputation system would not really add anything good. UO had bad/good reputation and the only difference between the "good" and "bad" titles was their color. You were just as likely to find a good or a bad player with either title.

An active system would be even be worse and it would be similar to bringing twitter into the game.

The only reputation system a game should have is the implicit one created by the players themselves. If you act like an ass towards others then you shouldn't be surprised when you are rejected by others when you need it.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In-node newspapers, libel laws, bulletin boards, guardpost bounties...

Mwa-hahahaha.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    KabanKaban Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    TL;dr but Lineage 2 had recommendation system. When player got recommended their nickname would slowly turn blue from white. I think max recommendations was 255 or so. every day however the recommendation value would deteriorate by i think 5% of its current value. It provided no perks what so ever but it distinguished you from other players. system wasn't perfect obviously but it'd give you a glimpse of which players to trust a bit more than others.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think we will need a reputation system.
    We will be citizens of villages, towns, cities and metros.
    We will know who people are and where they live. Individually and by guild.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like being able to blacklist specific players or perhaps even guilds from your shop/service.

But I don't like player-decided reputation systems. Some things the playerbase can handle by themselves, through regular gameplay. The really toxic people need to be dealt with by the live GMs they promised we'd have.
  • Options
    ArukoruArukoru Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nerror wrote: »
    I like being able to blacklist specific players or perhaps even guilds from your shop/service.

But I don't like player-decided reputation systems. Some things the playerbase can handle by themselves, through regular gameplay. The really toxic people need to be dealt with by the live GMs they promised we'd have.

100% there's no replacement for a live GM
    khFjCQJ.png
  • Options
    I think a limited blacklist might be a good idea. It isn't a good idea unlimited because it's too much power and when it is abused can ruin the game and potentially make people who entered the game alone quit. If you could blacklist like 10 players though it would be a net positive. There are always those trolls you want to be rid of. This would be account wide as well since it would have no meaning if they make an alt and level it just to get revenge. This would limit the tools for trolling and gear them towards improving the player base over making it worse.

I often hate trolls. They always ruin the game and I've yet to see any situation where I was thankful they were in the game. I'm always of the opinion that if you aren't going to play a game seriously then don't play it at all. It's probably just a case of confusing trolling with pranks though. Pranks I can see as it's sacrificing quality game time to be funny and some people like doing that. It's similar to trolling but there is a fine line between that and trolling.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds way too much like cancel-culture. Blocking someone from communicating with you is fine and dandy. Being allowed to send a report to intrepid that they will review personally (not an AI) is fine. But potentially having a corrupt system where you can essentially cancel a player? Nah. You claim it’s only for toxic players. But what’s stopping the system from being used by a large guild or alliance to choke out competition or manipulate markets either for some nefarious master plan for control or wealth gain, or cancelling a player who isn’t actually being “toxic” but you don’t like their opinions or views (like our current IRL issues). No. Big fat no. I’m extremely polite in games when I do communicate to other players, and I’m not a player killer either. I’m just able to think with logic and reason and see how bad this is. Grow some thicker skin, use the block and report feature and be done.
  • Options
    It's why when it's properly implemented it gives each player a limit of like 10 players. Also people can do it in real life too and I haven't seen too many instances of people with money going starving.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yeah, I kinda agree with the others. Something that is the player's choice will be abused, take the suggestion you made about being able to give players a thumbs down - for like bad rep - there can easily be a group of people who decide to gang up on someone, simply to troll to make it so they have to face the consequences of having bad rep.

I get where you're coming from in trying to combat toxic players/trolls, but they'll always exist within any gaming community and it's just better to ignore them than go through the hoops of trying to create a system to block them out because they will usually find a way around it.
    Follow me and I'll show you the light.