Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cheaters

This topic is something I deeply care about, because nobody wants to have these people influence the game. After not even long search i've found aimbot and i'm sure that some who know the hacking forums have already other types of cheats for flying, clipping, speed and for sure more

It would be great to know what they are doing to combat cheaters and how big of a priority it is to them, because so far we only know that they plan to have security systems, but it seems really bad if they are created as an afterthought and not as an integral game system
“Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Security_systems

Here is what they have planned so far. Obviously all subject to change but seems like a proper path to me. I'm confused by you saying you found cheats already for aim botting? For a game in Alpha? If so I believe you have found a scam website looking for your credit card information by posting sales for a bright and shiny game. Who would cheat in an alpha that doesn't even allow for pvp? lol

The fact that security systems are "planned" clearly shows it is not an afterthought. Steven is planning to pay people to monitor servers as game masters. This is better than any automated anti-cheat as long as the game master is attentive and consistent.
  • Options
    @Tragnar - There was a topic a few weeks back on exploiting bugs in general, but it didn't get into the specifics of each hack. Not sure if that's relevant to the question you're bringing up.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps the kind of personalities which are drawn to cheating are folks who really cannot help themselves. They cheat even though there is no logic in it.

Now, during Alpha, there is a particular lack of logic in cheating. However, post release it is still illogical to cheat because 1. they destroy any sense of accomplishment that they might derive from the game and 2. they destroy the game which they are paying to play!

Other types of cheaters, such as gold sellers, might have quasi-logical reasons for doing so, to earn money. But they are akin to tapeworms, they destroy the host which feeds them.
  • Options
    You can have faith in players, but you should be prepared for the worst from them - and you cant create automatic reforming therapy for them either

And thanks - I'll try to find that thread

― Plato
  • Options
    Tragnar wrote: »
    I'll try to find that thread

I linked it above for you. ;)

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I'm blind and stupid :dizzy:

― Plato