Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A tour of a Vaelune Metropolis

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited October 2021 in General Discussion
I have apparently completely missed this part of an old video from May 2017, where we are given a tour of what looks like a Vaelune Metropolis. I had seen pictures, but never knew the video existed.

https://youtu.be/_fPIP8uu6Pc?t=1923

The tour starts at around 32:05, outside the metropolis, which gives a sense of the size from the outside, but it's really first when we get inside you appreciate the size of the place. It's friggin' huge. Easily on par with capital cities in other MMORPGs.

Disclaimer: This interview was done a couple of weeks after the kickstarter launch I think. The metropolis is obviously a placeholder in the sense that they didn't have a functioning node system back then. However, it shows us what the plan was, and what they wanted for size. You'll notice there are several areas inside that seem undeveloped, where the mayoral buildings could be placed. We don't know if anything has fundamentally changed in those regards, but just the fact they started out wanting this size and scope for a metropolis bodes well I think.

The entire interview is worth a watch honestly. They talk about social organizations, about stuff they want to provide for roleplayers, about P2W, about a stockmarket where you invest gold into a node somehow, and about things like building up a franchise after the MMORPG is out. You also get to watch Jeff Bard if you miss him :smile:

Comments

• McShaveMcShave Member
    edited October 2021
    I'd be interested to see where everyone in this video is at now. That was over 4 years ago, a lot has changed. I'm glad that they established the pillars of this game before announcing development, it will make sure that there isn't too much scope creep.

RIP Jeffery Bard
  • McShave wrote: »
    RIP Jeffery Bard

His death shall not be in vain.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I think this Metropolis was made for the trailer video where the Rogue sneak into it and shot someone with his bow if I recall
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ptitoine wrote: »
    I think this Metropolis was made for the trailer video where the Rogue sneak into it and shot someone with his bow if I recall

Sounds right :smile:
  • nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I remember this video well, but it was so long back that Peter was still in livestream.

Why are people saying RIP Jeffrey? He left to pursue a passion and work in VR game design.
  • Aye, this looks like the example metropolis from the Nodes 2 video - and is indeed getting to be an aged interview! This video in-particular gives a much better feel for the intended scope of such cities.

Looking around in the video, it's comforting to see so much player housing. Initially, the level 3 Nodes will start with 8 player houses. So long as they aren't destroyed, then these are the ones that will upgrade to mansions and luxury towers, as the Node progresses in level.

However, this doesn't mean that it's not worth it to still pick up a lowest-level player house when a Node's city advances to levels 4, 5, and 6; It's all still part of the intricate and unique neighborhoods that will wind around the streets, hills, canals, rivers, ponds, and other landform-features that will pre-exist development of the Nodes.

Yours truly hated "flat" player cities in SWG; It was much cooler to see and visit cities with unique or special geography. Am hoping that whichever group of players that I end up whiling away the hours with might enjoy living in a city developed in something like a swamp, or on the side of an ever-snowy mountain slope, or a river delta in the middle of a dense and super-shaded forest.

Where we live in-game should spark and feed the imagination - not try to conform to cookie-cutter geography out of fear of losing buildable space.

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's from the Predator demo. IIRC
    Nodes 2 shows even more of the Metro.