Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Do you want a welcome section on the forums specifically for new players?

Prior to the new forums, we had a section dedicated to welcoming new players. However, there did tend to be a lot of miscellaneous conversations not related to Ashes of Creation itself. When shifting to the new forums, we decided that the welcomes could take place in the Ashes General Discussion instead as that is more higher-trafficked section and can more easily be brought around to why people are excited about Ashes specifically. Please note that if we add this section back in based on your feedback, it may increase the total areas on the forums, making them more difficult to sift through at first glance, as we will be adding additional forum sections later on.

Comments

• It's always nice to welcome to people to the forums It makes them feel like they are part of the community 
  • Yeah, it helps to introduce yourself into a forum community. 
  • Yes!
    It creates a more open environment and prevents the "flud" of the general chat.
  • I'd actually like a section that is dedicated to new players/backers with all of the frequently asked questions as stickied threads. That way, the general forums don't get bogged down with the same questions like "Is the combat like BDO?", "Will there be flying mounts?", "How I mine for fish?".
  • If the alternative is having a flood of short topics in general, I rather stay with the oldfashioned dedicated "newcommer" section.
    It's a nice and easy way to just say hallow and maybe create some first contacts, I don't see the harm in having some general chatter there, it certainly beats having to sift through 20 extra topics in general discussion.
    Other points were already adressed so I won't repeat them.
  • Hacksaw said:
    I'd actually like a section that is dedicated to new players/backers with all of the frequently asked questions as stickied threads. That way, the general forums don't get bogged down with the same questions like "Is the combat like BDO?", "Will there be flying mounts?", "How I mine for fish?".
    Yeah maybe a tabulated "What we know so far" post.
  • Yes, there should be introduction forums, and they should be the 2nd forum.

Think about it from a new player's perspective.  Getting a person to make their first post is the hardest hurdle. The introduction forum gives them a "no shame" method of making a post.  Further, it allows the rest of us to give them the helpful, personalized guidance they need to get integrated into the community.
  • Make sure to sticky the wonderful help and info threads.
  • I don't really care one way or another. I don't think it helps much in game, but it might help to build a forum community.
  • I don't really think they're useful, more useful is the communities guild recruitment area.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    In my opinion, seeing Welcome threads in the General section makes it look a little more cluttered. Being a new game, you're going to have a lot of Welcome threads, so it would look more organized to have them all in their own subsection.

You won't have to worry about that section not being frequented. I think we'll always have kind players going to those threads and welcoming the newbies. 
  • Wait, I thought we have one is called "The Newly Arrived" didn't it?
  • Lifetree said:
    Wait, I thought we have one is called "The Newly Arrived" didn't it?
    we did but it was recently archived when the new forums took hold

personally i liked the newly arrived section, it gave us a place to welcome the newer people and point them in the right direction for information and the discord etc
  • Certainly wouldn't hurt, although welcome sections tend to be fairly dull in the sense that every reply is a simple "welcome!" I've seen single welcome-threads work out really nicely. That could be a viable alternative to having an entire section for welcome topics.
  • Yes please. Everybody needs to know me <3 

• Yes. Welcoming new people is a thing for itself. In General Discussion you talk about other general stuff that might even be spammed away by "Hi there I am new" threads. Subsection might do.
  • I always have enjoyed a welcome section. 

It allows new players to get their foot in, instead of diving into the sea of threads in general etc 

Also they are more likey to get a response, leaving them feeling included
  • personally, I only used an introduction thread once, only to never give it another look. So I don't really need it
  • It's nice having a section where it's easy to find and greet new players. I find it's easier to lose new players in the general section x.x I also miss a 'recent threads' section. It's useful to join in new conversations 
  • It doesn't hurt to have one really, and is a good way for new users to get to know the community.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Yes (i don't know why i don't have my red square :( )
    Cause i couldn't introduce myself ^^
  • yes why not ? always good :)
  • Well, I can see why as a moderator, it would be annoying having to keep moving people's post to the correct forum. The idea itself is nice but people need to actually read and put the correct post in the correct forum. Otherwise as you said, you might as well combine the general discussion with new player welcome forum.

Maybe to help people "remember" where they are posting, when they create a new post in the new player forum, have the title auto-filled in with "Hi! I'm new to the community!". Which they would have to delete manually and put in whatever title they want. This small nudge would probably be enough to have people stop posting unrelated topic in the new forum.

You can also put the general discussion forum 2nd to the announcement forum, then have the new player forum 3rd. People who don't care which forum they post in tend to pick the top one first.
  • I do understand that it can drag onto excessive and unrelated topics, which ultimately add to the amount of space required for the server of this website/forums, however a new player topic is often the most comfortable way for people new to the forum to get started.
    Sometimes without the New Player Forum people may feel intimidated and not want to jump right into posting. They may instead look for an off-topic thread to make a few posts, then jump into the threads about this game itself. So it is a nice comfort zone for new people to ease into the threads and feel more welcome to the rest of the forums!
  • You said the reason it was removed was cause it caused clutter, and I think that would be the main problem. Its not that I'm strictly against it, but I just don't feel like its that relevant either. Maybe if it was a bit hidden so it doesnt take focus from the rest of the forums.

As someone said its usually a place you write "Hey there I hope this game will be good", and then never look again. The people that don't do that often ask questions that could just as well be in the general section.
  • Yes I think it's nice. I'd suggest 1 sticky thread for introductions, rather than having 100 of them. The forum could be used mostly to let new players to ask question, and elders to create useful thread for new players.

• As someone said its usually a place you write "Hey there I hope this game will be good", and then never look again. The people that don't do that often ask questions that could just as well be in the general section.
    Maybe it could even be a single thread of "Hey just post yourself here!" as opposed to an entire forum section
  • Honestly, I think a welcome section would be more welcoming than the general section. also, it'll give the look of a bigger community too.since it's more work for mods, let people who want to help them
  • I think it would work well..its always nice to have a section where new people can post and get help and feel welcome before they step into the lions den. 

• I would also like to see a FAQ or sticky thread like this...

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/#/discussion/10158/quotebin-quotes-of-intrepid-team-from-discord

where a new player or someone looking for information can find already answered information.

Maddstone

This discussion has been closed.