Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Question: What about a "real" Ignore-Function ?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

actually, I’d like to kindly ask you for your opinion referring to a more .. let’s say … sophisticated Ignore-function.
At this time in almost every MMO the ignore function simply prevents me to see any ingame messages from the ignored person.
What about causing the code to really ignore that person COMPLETELY ingame ?
What I mean ist he following:
The chosen person is virtually not shown in the world. Not only are there any messages not displayed, the whole person is not shown to me anyway. This could possibly be extended by more functionality like:
- His/her whole account (all Twinks) is blocked
- complete guild is ignored
I personally would enjoy it, once I could simply fade out the Chars who continously jump around vendors and sreaming .... ;)

I think, this would be a REAL ignore function. 😊
It would also have the very little advantage, that less data has not to be rendered, because the server checks my internal ignore list before displaying the players around me …
Would that make sense in your eyes ? What would be the downside (exept the programming would need to be amended) ?

Thanks for your attention and best regards

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Biggest immediate downside is the PvP aspect. Being able to just ignore someone about to gank you and have them fade away isn't exactly a good design I think :wink:

So no, I don't think they should implement that :smile:
  • Options
    Hey, I think its a very bad idea and goes completely against the game's philosophy, it would dramatically affect PvP.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So...
    I could put everybody on my ignore list, but Nodes would still progress?
    That could be awesome!!!!
  • Options
    This doesn't sound the least bit practical, for reasons largely already outlined, above. It also sounds to be an un-necessary expenditure of time on coding.

Pass.

• Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited January 2022
    An MMO player that has their ignore list maxed and looking to add more layers of "ignoring" bureaucracy ... is an MMO player that might benefit from some self introspection.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    You rly didnt think this throught, did you?
  • Options
    OP, don't let this get to you, we all have times where we have ideas that sound good until you show them to others. Happens to me all the time. Don't let this scare you away from making more posts.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Silberwolf wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

actually, I’d like to kindly ask you for your opinion referring to a more .. let’s say … sophisticated Ignore-function.
    At this time in almost every MMO the ignore function simply prevents me to see any ingame messages from the ignored person.
    What about causing the code to really ignore that person COMPLETELY ingame ?
    What I mean ist he following:
    The chosen person is virtually not shown in the world. Not only are there any messages not displayed, the whole person is not shown to me anyway. This could possibly be extended by more functionality like:
    - His/her whole account (all Twinks) is blocked
    - complete guild is ignored
    I personally would enjoy it, once I could simply fade out the Chars who continously jump around vendors and sreaming .... ;)

I think, this would be a REAL ignore function. 😊
    It would also have the very little advantage, that less data has not to be rendered, because the server checks my internal ignore list before displaying the players around me …
    Would that make sense in your eyes ? What would be the downside (exept the programming would need to be amended) ?

Thanks for your attention and best regards

No. No thank you.
    sJ4g8FI.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    You can’t really ignore people in a PvX game.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    You can’t really ignore people in a PvX game.

Well, I can ignore their pleas for help… 🤪

It’s not a complete solution, but let’s not let perfection be the enemy of good enough.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I'm all for an /ignore feature but not a Magic Banish Wand.
  • Options
    Hello all,

thanks very much for your feedback. :)
    Honestly, I was not aware that this idea would cause so much trouble, especially in PvP situations.
    Fully agreed, that this is not acceptable. If this should further work, the software would have most
    likely to check all of the player flags continuesly, if the PvP flag is activated or not and then switch
    the ignore list on or off ...
    Too much work and obviously not worth the effords.

Again, thanks very much for the feedback :)

Maybe I'll be back with another irrational idea some day ;)
    Cheers

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited January 2022
    I'd also like an un-capped Ignore feature. There are a lot of annoying people out there. As one of them, I know this all too well.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2022
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I'd also like an un-capped Ignore feature. There are a lot of annoying people out there. As one of them, I know this all too well.

I read the first sentence here and was about to reply with "if you have that many people on ignore, it is probable that you are the issue".

Then I read the second sentence...
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    Silberwolf wrote: »
    If this should further work, the software would have most
    likely to check all of the player flags continuesly, if the PvP flag is activated or not and then switch
    the ignore list on or off ...
    That wouldn’t work. There is no PvP flag in this game. Anyone can attack anyone at any time.

Everyone starts out “green”. If you attack someone who is green, you turn “purple”. If they fight back, they also turn purple, and you have normal PvP.

If they don’t fight back they stay green. If you kill them while they are green, you turn “red” and gain corruption. You stay red until you work off that corruption somehow.

This game doesn’t have a PvP on/off flag like most games.

I guess you could make it so that if the person you ignore attacks you then they turn visible again. But at that point you’ve already given them the first strike so you’re at a disadvantage. Plus you’ll probably be confused for a while wondering where the attack came from. Just imagine if that first attack stuns you, or gives you a debuff. It might make all the difference in causing you to lose.

It’s a bad idea to set up a system where someone you really despise gets a free ambush on you.

Hhak63P.png