Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

item loss on death

so.. im not sure what the plan is for losing items on death but i would suggest looking at asheron's call's system.. basically when you died you lost x items based on your level. the items lost were based on the value of the item. so what youd end up with was a bag full of high value items such as bracelets..that way when you died you didnt lose your actual gear. ive been red and playing pvp mmos for 22? years now and ive yet to find a better system. there's a few reasons this system was amazing imo. first, when you killed someone it was kinda like a slot machine. you never knew if that person was having a bad day and had just died a couple times, lowering their death item total and giving you the potential to snag some real nice gear. because of this there was always a bit of a rush (like gambling) when you killed someone. secondly, it allowed people to take risks with pvp, ie they didnt NEED to win, because they werent gonna lose all of their gear on death.. like you do with full loot games. Because of this i feel the urge to zerg wasnt as high. also full loot vs AC's system, allows for gear to actually matter. it allows for a diablo style loot system with randomized gear. obviously this system is appealing..if you look at games like Diablo and POE you can see its popular enough to keep people grinding and trying to get better and better gear. the gear can be balanced by adjusting its value:stats..meaning having top end gear would also require much higher value death items in order to keep said gear... and yea.. idk.. just a thought.. figured id throw it out there and see what people think...also..

Darktide <3 RIP
u2BkQvn.png

Comments

• SathragoSathrago Member
    edited January 2022
    Everything you need to know is here: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_death
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I suggest not looking to asherons call.
  • The game is more about the nodes and castles and player economy. It is not as much about just one individual. That is not to say there won't be leader boards and things to achieve in the game.
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    So if you're not even sure what the currently planned system is why would you make recommendations on what it should be?
    nI17Ea4.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Asheron's Call was my first MMO back in '99, so it holds a special place in my heart, but I don't think their pvp loot system should be in Ashes. Not for the corrupted either. It's perhaps not the worst system I have seen, but certainly not the best either. I like the current direction they are going.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    “Hey guys I know you’re years into development but could you overhaul the core of your game so that it resembles a game I played 23 years ago? KTHXBYE!”

Hhak63P.png
  • calm down fanboys its just an idea.. no need to get your panties in a twist
    u2BkQvn.png
  • BoanergeseBoanergese Member
    edited January 2022
    thumbs-down-gladiator.gif