Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Server transfer yes/no, payed/free, restrictions?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Transfers should be allowed, I'm sure AoC devs can determine the best approach.
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tautau wrote: »
    Perhaps, @Roko , start on that other continent's servers so you don't have to worry about the transfer not being available?

Thanks. That solves the problem I will just not play until I know I am done moving for good.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The best server system is the one like Rust, Minecraft, Warcraft 3, Holdfast, Total war. Just let people pick the server they want to play on when they log in. The servers will naturally be able to balance themselves. Players will go to servers they like and enjoy. The devs will never need to server merge, worry about under or over population or anything like that. Economies will naturally balance themselves. People can easily avoid camping, griefing and bullying. Forcing players to pay to move servers hurts the game massively in the long run. Communities will naturally congregate where they want to play. And it frees up a lot of manpower to do and think about other things.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The best server system is the one like Rust, Minecraft, Warcraft 3, Holdfast, Total war. Just let people pick the server they want to play on when they log in. The servers will naturally be able to balance themselves. Players will go to servers they like and enjoy. The devs will never need to server merge, worry about under or over population or anything like that. Economies will naturally balance themselves. People can easily avoid camping, griefing and bullying. Forcing players to pay to move servers hurts the game massively in the long run. Communities will naturally congregate where they want to play. And it frees up a lot of manpower to do and think about other things.

This really doesn't work in a game like Ashes. There are aspects of the games design that this would negate (the desire to have player reputation matter), but there are also straight up conflicts that this would cause with housing, node citizenship and such.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Anarchy23 wrote: »
    This particular guy ran a command, Linux didn't tell him to do it.
    Linux told him to run a specific command line in order to proceed. So he ran that command line.

This is relevant to what you said because you were saying that it would be a solution to essentially just get people to type in a command to delete all their gear. People will just see that they have a step they need to perform in order to do the thing they want to do, and will just do that step.

Your example of the delete function in WoW does not apply, as that is a protection to stop people deleting things accidently. Your suggestion may well be a perfectly fine way to make sure people don't accidently transfer servers in a game that offers that as a service.
    Anarchy23 wrote: »
    You also call it half assed but its not, its just a different design choice.
    But it isn't a design choice, it is a bunch of people on the forums whittling away at what a server transfer is until they are left with the most minute aspect of it (and have conveniently forgotten that even this has a perfectly applicable argument against - we may get back to it later on).

Intrepid have indeed talked about transfers more than the info on the wiki would suggest. I don't have links, because I am not your index. However, when they did talk about it, they talked about not wanting to mix up the economies of each server, and about not wanting people to be able to run and hide from their bad decisions on various servers - the things I said they have talked about.

when you transfer in most games, its not automatic correct? You pay, accept conditions or w.e, and wait up to 24 hours for a employee to do it for you. I don't transfer much if at all so that's just how I'm envisioning it. what I was saying isn't a command, it doesn't actually delete your gear, its just essentially a checkmark you click before clicking accept. But having to type "destroy all my items" sounds far more effective then clicking a box that says agree to terms and conditions. I only mention this point because you mentioned how people would just assume its a normal transfer, and be mad when they lost all there stuff because they wouldn't read the conditions. You must really think most people are beyond stupid if they would really type that and then get mad when they lost all their stuff. At least the linux command line prolly sounded reasonable, it wasn't type in "brick your computer".

Its a design choice if that's the design they choose. Yes right now its not and its just a discussion on a forum. Still doesn't make it half assed just cause you don't like the idea. Your only idea is do it like every other game or don't do it at all and I just don't agree with you. what's the perfectly applicable argument against highly restrictive server transfers?

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Roko wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »
    Perhaps, @Roko , start on that other continent's servers so you don't have to worry about the transfer not being available?

Thanks. That solves the problem I will just not play until I know I am done moving for good.

The game might not even be released before you move. :'(

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Intrepid need to simply not offer server transfers until a point where they can offer them in a comparable manner to other MMO's without negatively affecting the individual economy of each server.

Why does it have to be the same as another MMO?
    You are the only one saying that.

Someone else mentioned starter armor, that sounds good to me. You transfer servers, you can't take your stuff, but the 'refuge' center in your new world gives you basic gear for your level. If I want to move servers to play with friends I don't want to have to play through 100+ hours of leveling again before I can join them
    That's only going to lead to loses in the player base.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Why does it have to be the same as another MMO?
    Because that is what any player not involved in a discussion like this (so 90%+ of players) would expect.

Again, even the OP of this thread - who put some thought in to it - didn't think of most of the issues specific to server transfers in Ashes. You can't expect someone that has not participated in such discussions to know these things, and so their expectation is 100% based on what they have known in the past.

As such, and as I have said about a half dozen times in this thread, often in direct reply to you, Intrepid need to make that the base offering of a server transfer when they are able to offer it. Offering less of a transfer will just piss these people off.

You seem to be totally ignoring the fact that companies need to offer products and services that are in line with what their customers expect. Offering a server transfer where players have to leave most of what they have accomplished in game (wealth accumulating is more time consuming than leveling), is just bad business.
  • Options

You seem to be totally ignoring the fact that companies need to offer products and services that are in line with what their customers expect. Offering a server transfer where players have to leave most of what they have accomplished in game (wealth accumulating is more time consuming than leveling), is just bad business.

Ok, but not having it at all would also not align with what a lot of people 'expext' from other MMOs, and would negatively impact business. So... Pick your poison?
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Ok, but not having it at all would also not align with what a lot of people 'expext' from other MMOs, and would negatively impact business. So... Pick your poison?

There are many games that either haven't offered server transfers, or have not offered them at the start of the game.

There are many more games that don't offer server transfers to new servers.

MMO players are used to this.

If you want an example of a game that didn't offer server transfers for it's first two years - WoW.