Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bow Types

Hail Fellow Creationists;

I'm loving what I am loving what is coming out of the studio for AOC. I was just hoping that at least coming from a life long Ranger that we would see either as an actual weapon or a Bow Skin of a simple Longbow .. just a "Robin Hood" English Longbow, nothing extravagant but simple and plain.

A skin is more likely the out come but it would be nice to "upgrade" a simple longbow that one could keep right up into the higher end content or even endgame . Something would need to be taken to a craftsman to "improve range/dmg", then to a mage or enchanter to increase/add accuracy ... depends on how that woudl fit into the crafting system.

Just my thoughts
Longbow-arrows-English.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Whoa whoa whoa....

You mean you don't want one with green-enflamed tiger fangs or one encased with blue ice strung using a mammoth's tusk? No, j/k - yours truly is also hoping for some simpler/more-realistic designs, too.

It *is* high-fantasy, though! I'm sure there will be enough bows with CPU-grinding overly-rich particles coming off of them, for the folks looking for something fancier.

• Options
    MushinMushin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No the one with a 500 lbs of mithril attached with no bow string.
  • Options
    @Auali no continous upgrading of low level weapons in the game. Things have a level/rarity for a reason.

However, there is a transmog system that allows you to take the skin from the base bow and apply it to the high end bows
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would think that the standard longbow should be a lvl 10 weapon skin. ^^
    Most skins we have seen so far are from APOC and those are supposed to be heirlooms from ancient times, where magic was normal.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    It'd be nice if the different bow types had different stats, much like I imagine dagger, longsword, and broadsword would all have different stats. A shortbow, compound bow, and longbow would potentially be the bow equivalent.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I want a bow like this one.

dungeons-dragons-cartoon-header.jpg
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I normally main classes with a bow in most MMOs. I will say that a lot of time bows get screwed.
    The designs are less inspired compared to swords and staffs. A lot games don't even give them enchant effects. Sometimes they don't even show the strings.

I don't want like the WOW style large thicc boi bows I see, but I don't want super plain bows end game.
    I would like some ornate bows that keep realism in mind.

It is hard to find good examples of historical bows that are ornate. You can find plenty of fancy guns and crossbows. I would imagine that there is just not much that can be done to a bow without impeding its function. Still I am able to give up a little disbelief to a fantasy setting to allow for some nice looking bows.

Kf8aONv.png

That is a little thicc, but I could see it actually working.
    I don't think us bow guys are in bad hands.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    One thing I appreciated about the bows in the LotR films was they were very simple by design, and the "extravagance" came from the various things carved into the wood.

Bow_lo_Res.jpeg
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love recurve bows:
    51aqCpklIIL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I love Longbows:
    Artisan_Strung_1200x.jpg?v=1581498294

I love Horn Bows:
    product_g_r_grozer_assyrian_traditional_horn60_2017d.jpg

2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AaxcAaxc Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    Don't let your imagination stop you, go full out

download.png

• Options
    In medieval times more powerful bows meant a higher draw strength. Modern re-enactors typically start off with a 50 lbs longbow and a committed few might work their way up to 90 lbs. Stresses much beyond that puts a lot of physical demand on the body.
    Medieval archers had a right arm like Pop-eye and a compressed left arm with skeletal distortion. The Longbows recovered from the Mary Rose had draw strengths between 100-185 lbs. The stances of medieval archers are always depicted as leaning forward to compensate for the recoil. It is easy to see where that skeletal distortion comes from if you are using a Longbow from the age of 14 and required by law to train for two hours every Sunday, as was the case in Medieval England. Oh, and *FUN FACT* apparently it still is law, just not enforced. I guess they never got round to taking that one off the statutes book.

All the above has as much relevance to this game as Steven wants it to have. I dislike seeing bows covered in all manner of fantasy spikey stuff for the sake of it, because I can't see a reason for it. If the fantasy spikey bits were associated with magical enhancements then the justification would be there and it would be "believable" for me. I'm happy for AoC to be high fantasy; I will look for the mundane items/skins for mundane equipment. I just hope that I won't see a load of people walking round with cartoon Butterfly wings like in ROBLOX or WoW. From what I've seen of the cosmetics so far I (we?) should be spared that trauma.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    I would also like to see more simple design, like carving, or decorated with gems. But as they said before me, its fantasy, where magic is normal so more "fancy" ones would also be common.
    Would love to see something like the face of a dear sideways carved into the bow with the anthlers at the end holding the string.

We are already getting some ranged weapon options, i would like just a close range less dmg faster and long range more dmg slower so it can open up more builds.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited February 2021
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    In medieval times more powerful bows meant a higher draw strength. Modern re-enactors typically start off with a 50 lbs longbow and a committed few might work their way up to 90 lbs. Stresses much beyond that puts a lot of physical demand on the body.
    Medieval archers had a right arm like Pop-eye and a compressed left arm with skeletal distortion. The Longbows recovered from the Mary Rose had draw strengths between 100-185 lbs. The stances of medieval archers are always depicted as leaning forward to compensate for the recoil. It is easy to see where that skeletal distortion comes from if you are using a Longbow from the age of 14 and required by law to train for two hours every Sunday, as was the case in Medieval England.

Here is a video showing exactly this for those interested:
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Here is a video showing exactly this for those interested:

Awesome video, cheers for the show.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The overly complex bows that defy logic do bother me. I like the LOTR example above

If crafting would allow different carvings into bows at higher [crafting] levels, that would be awesome. It would be rad to have that sort of personal touch on the end product, even if it was a lower level item, rather than just making something plain. I know that selling lower level items can be profitable, and making high quality versions would add purpose to the crafters in late game.

Maybe different carvings/glyphs could give some sort of bonus (draw strength, draw speed, “reload” speed, etc).

• Options
    So long as we can reskin the weapons into something we like. It shouldn't make a big difference. Unless they absolutely have no weapon skins you like.
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some simple bows would be great but since it is a high fantasy game I assume anything high level will at the very least look somewhat outlandish but not necessarily wow style, Black Desert Online does a decent job in my opinion.

The one thing about inculding different bow variations would be perhaps that other weapons will be expected to get the same treatment, there are many different dagger types in the world just like bows and most other weapons that have been around for a long time.
  • Options
    AualiAuali Member
    edited February 2022
    I thank you all for all your comments .. but I think you may have missed my intention .. I would like to be able to take that "simple Longbow" all the way to end game with either "upgrades" be it by crafting or magic infusion.. or as in SWTOR and ESO have an "appearance" version or skin that could be applied to an endgame Bow :).
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2022
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Kf8aONv.png

Thicc bow ugly af, those other examples are much cooler
    Izil.png
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    no... no.. no... my wood elf needs the most absolutely grandest, flashiest and deadly bow possible.. (please)
  • Options
    AidanKDAidanKD Member
    edited March 2022
    I think I agree that as long as the bow doesn't really exceed the thickness overall in the frame of the bow linked, then it wouldn't get too out of hand! It is meant to be a weapon easy to carry around and more on swift, deadly strikes not huge swings!

That said, I think that as long as "epic/legendary" bows don't all fit into this "chonky boi" category - but instead we have SOME bows which are on the bigger side because there will be people that like it, but also the more traditional ornate options - then that should be a people pleaser.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Caww wrote: »
    no... no.. no... my wood elf needs the most absolutely grandest, flashiest and deadly bow possible.. (please)

Done. Don't say I never gave you anything.

Hf8ec695f28484f308dc2bb5ec99d982fA.png

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I normally main classes with a bow in most MMOs. I will say that a lot of time bows get screwed.
    The designs are less inspired compared to swords and staffs. A lot games don't even give them enchant effects. Sometimes they don't even show the strings.

I don't want like the WOW style large thicc boi bows I see, but I don't want super plain bows end game.
    I would like some ornate bows that keep realism in mind.

It is hard to find good examples of historical bows that are ornate. You can find plenty of fancy guns and crossbows. I would imagine that there is just not much that can be done to a bow without impeding its function. Still I am able to give up a little disbelief to a fantasy setting to allow for some nice looking bows.

Kf8aONv.png

That is a little thicc, but I could see it actually working.
    I don't think us bow guys are in bad hands.

What do you think of MHW style designs relative to nows btw? Any you liked in particular?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Caww wrote: »

Done. Don't say I never gave you anything.

Hf8ec695f28484f308dc2bb5ec99d982fA.png

oh... you do care ! thank you cuz..
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    edited March 2022
    I would like to see more different type of bow designs in Ashes: realistic or fantasy or magic.

I personal like bow designs in Goblin Slayer, Dragon's Crown, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma.
    There are more cool bow in other games well known, like GW2 and ESO.
    Never played Dark Soul series, but I think their weapon design is very good, maybe bows from their game also look good.
    Goblin Slayer
    xz4c5jrohupu.jpg
    Dragon's Crown
    0wnif95le05t.jpg
    xo88f203yh6e.png
    vj2va5aeg72b.png
    Monster Hunter
    5qfzmqqol52u.png
    6a1g766agrp7.png
    5vhmg6x441mp.png
    52mwix0kdsnv.png
    i3d0ds2gwi4k.png
    xaey8mtkqu0h.png
    9rb2hrrbd0ng.png
    Dragon's Dogma
    5ptv2n4hqwl3.jpg
    uu67dijesla2.jpg
    ydkobe57gbxh.jpg
    y5crjczo6f5z.jpg
    9yaxcc4bpm4k.jpg
    dtgcvnekl62a.png
    eswi6iyj54ss.jpg
    6e41fgsmidyc.png
    tpa41ic2ojyy.png
    g007hncue8i1.png
    bjpbgy7bphe3.png

A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    RoelathRoelath Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2022
    The thorns on that bow...
    ezlsvi1p1scy.png
    I'd hope we'd see some variety with the wood, carvings, bowstring, oils for maintenance/resistances, types of bows (compound vs. recurve), and general styles of types out there today. Now add some fantasy in there and you could see quite a level of detail.

Having to farm wood to make arrows + bows and those trees being placed in areas of low to high level would make going back to earlier areas worthwhile. There should definitely be a fletcher artisan profession out there to make bows, bowstrings, arrows, bolts, etc.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
    Warth wrote: »
    @Auali no continous upgrading of low level weapons in the game. Things have a level/rarity for a reason.

However, there is a transmog system that allows you to take the skin from the base bow and apply it to the high end bows

Just be cautious with your expectations. In the past, Jeffrey and Steven have said that you can "sometimes" take the appearance from an item and apply it to a cosmetic slot. So, if there is a particular bow you like, you might be able to use it as a transmog. But given the way that Intrepid has been careful to qualify their statement about it, I think there may be cases where some gear isn't eligible.

But yeah, in all likelihood you should be able to find a basic-looking bow and turn your high-level fancy bow (with wings and flashing lights and fire bleeding out a demon's eyes) into a regular bow without neon lights or smoking skulls.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I always preferred the more simple bows. The ones with enormous appendages and attachments just look so clunky that you'd struggle to even raise them to shoot. I mean, what the frick is this one?
    52mwix0kdsnv.png
    You wouldn't be able to lift it, and you wouldn't be able to see your target to actually aim at it. You'd do better with a pea-shooter.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    Well, I only discuss that I thought if some kind of bow design concepts will be there in Ashes might be cool, I don't want to discuss the realistic aspects about any unreal bow should or should not be like what, because Ashes is a fantasy mmo, the important thing is to balance between the design look cool in right direction(which means to fit the concept of the world and art) and the cool fact strong enough to make the unrealness acceptable. It's just like how asmongold always ask how even possible something can be a flying mount in FF14, but when it come to a cool and big greatsword he never doubt how human can even hold that unreal huge greatsword.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    JustVine wrote: »

What do you think of MHW style designs relative to nows btw? Any you liked in particular?

I can't remember off the top of my head with MHW. It seems like a lifetime ago that I played it right now. I just remember a lot of things being too big for my taste.

I do want to say this:
    This thread is over a year old. At the time of my original responses, I was under the impression that Intrepid wanted some sort of "Realism" or at least verisimilitude in Ashes based on the interviews I had seen with Steven up to that point. I really wanted to support that because outside of Mortal Online you don't see that much "down to earth" fantasy in MMORPGs with realism in mind. You can get over the top fantasy anywhere these days.

That said, Intrepid has only shown that they care about the rule of cool. Which is fine. That art direction is not a dealbreaker for me. I would just prefer to see a fantasy bow that looks believable and ornate.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.