Anyone else want druids?

I love playing druids in MMOs. Single class that can do it all(tank/magic and melee dmg/heal), the aesthetic, Transformations, everything. I know we already have so many classes and archetypes already, but druids are my main request.

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No Archetype should be able to do everything ever.
    The idea that anyone can do it all I find to be a weakness of current designs. What happened to team work and MMO's that makes people want to turn them into single player games? Needing to work together and build groups , interdependency should trump all.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    A mile wide and an inch deep.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    A mile wide and an inch deep.

aaah that gave me a chuckle. thank you.
  • NO
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Beastmaster will probably be pretty close to a Druid.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Dygz wrote: »

I can just imagine Boo in bear form.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »

I can just imagine Boo in bear form.

Pooh Bear doing the Snoopy happy dance.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • No Archetype should be able to do everything ever.
    The idea that anyone can do it all I find to be a weakness of current designs. What happened to team work and MMO's that makes people want to turn them into single player games? Needing to work together and build groups , interdependency should trump all.

How did you make the jump from being able to fill all roles to not needing to group? Do you think druids will be walking into 8 man content and doing it all by themselves? Just because they can fill all roles doesn't mean they will be filling them all simultaneously. And besides, summoners as they are currently described will be able to "shift their roles easily to fill gaps in a group's composition", though the extent to which they're able to is yet to be seen, so there already is an archetype whose design is to be able to do everything ever.

I think druids are a natural fit to any fantasy mmo and I would be surprised if they hadn't been considered to be one of the main archetypes at some point. The fact that none of the classes are called druid makes me hope they will be added at a later date with a shapeshifting focus.

As it stands, I would think the closest you could get would be picking a ranger as a secondary for your class, so a cleric/ranger would be the closest to a nature themed healer, etc.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wouldn't mind a druid class but not one that can do everything.

Similarly to what @bloodprophet stated, I think it would cause a variety of issues in terms of balance, the social aspect of the game and overall gameplay
  • CawwCaww Member
    Toss one in as long as it has a "Spirit of the Wolf" speed buff...
  • Nope, don’t want em. You know what game has em, you are obviously a migrant from that game. But you can go play it at any time.
  • Sawtooth wrote: »
    Nope, don’t want em. You know what game has em, you are obviously a migrant from that game. But you can go play it at any time.

Have my vote lol
  • I would love whats essentially a feral druid from vanilla wow. A class that can do everything ok but is not the best at anything but still with some unique utility ofc so its not redundant. its interesting to have atleast 1 such class in an mmo, Shapshifting is also my favourite class trope
  • Goatrek wrote: »
    I would love whats essentially a feral druid from vanilla wow. A class that can do everything ok but is not the best at anything but still with some unique utility ofc so its not redundant. its interesting to have atleast 1 such class in an mmo, Shapshifting is also my favourite class trope
    The problem is core design. Druids as popularized by that other game are built around the core system of “specialization” and “talents.” They can do “everything” because of specialization being able to be changed. Where as Ashes of Creation core systems is built on Classes being able to choose a secondary archetype. You can only change your secondary archetype, not your entire role/class.
    Example: I pick Rogue. Rogue is a dps archetype. Realistically I can never change this. But I can choose a secondary archetype to modify it. Let’s say I pick bard next. Bard is a support archetype. So rogue/bard will combine into Charlatan. Which will be a dps role with support modification. This is as close as anyone will get to a “hybrid” and you have 64 possibly combinations for players to choose from.

How would a WoW Druid fit into that system? Not possible. Even if there was only a feral druid. You now have to think of a way that it can be modified by every other class. Which while theoretically possible is arguably not worth the effort, and not something that Ashes core players even want. It’s something to please WoW tourists who watch Asmongold streams.

Let’s let WoW be WoW and Ashes be Ashes.
    Thank you

• Fair enough. :) It is what it is.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sawtooth wrote: »
    Nope, don’t want em. You know what game has em, you are obviously a migrant from that game. But you can go play it at any time.
    Dungeons and Dragons?
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would enjoy a shapeshifter class. The role of the druid seems to be taken by the summoner as it's the jack of all trades class.

If only they would allow the summoners to play like synthesists in pathfinder and merge with their summons.
  • fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The only mmo I can think of that has such a druid is WoW, EQ had a druid but he was a ranged caster that could heal a little bit. Other than two games I cannot recall a single mmo that had a druid so I don't see how the OP can like playing druids in mmoS so much.

• JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The Eidolon's spot feels occupied to me already. Jack of All melee? Weaponmaster or Dreadnaught. Jack of All ranged? Probably done combination of Ranger, Rogue and Bard. Jack of All close range support? You should obviously be a Soulweaver or Scryer. Heck maybe even a Siren depending.

You simply have to make an Eidolon's abilities inferior to all of these since it's just going to get played by everyone if it can do any of these equally well. A summoner can be a certain amount of 'equal' when built for a specific role on the other hand, in part because their weakness is unique to them and creates strategic play.

What does that leave the Eidolon? The ability to flip flop between things more quickly? I don't know. Unlike Summoner, they don't have a clear strength (many hands) to go along with their weakness (you can seperate a summon from a summoner.) A summoner could probably out compete all of an Eidolon's flexibility save for it's built in weakness if they build Summoner right.
    Node coffers: Single Payer Capitalism in action
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    Yep, like in pathfinder, a summoner who is outside of their summon would outperform a summoner in their summon since you have 2 characters instead of 1.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be, just seems like there are people who want to shapeshift and the synthesists concept is probably the easiest way to give them that.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Maybe will get cool cosmetics that are meant to dynamically react to class abilities that could do this down the line.
    Node coffers: Single Payer Capitalism in action
    Hopefully they will leave the shape shifting trope where it is and belongs. In lesser products.

Summoner's being able to fill multiple roles will not be done on the fly like the WoW Druid. Still need to change your secondary and Respec to change your roll. Tanking and healing through/with your summon seems like it will be a fun challenge. Many will try most won't succeed.
    Hopefully they leave changing as a challenge of some sort and not just a gold sink.
  • Mhmmmn, I have thought about this before and reached the conclusion "no". Druids exist in lore, from what I've read thus far, but not in terms of anything that would work for a class. Maybe as a master gardener, but that's about it. As much as I love my feral druid in "that game that shall remain nameless", I have to say no to it in AoC. I will remake my druid character here, but she will be an elderly Vek shaman.
  • Wouldn't mind having a shapeshifting druid archetype. From my (very) limited understanding of the class system, I believe it would fit as a more balanced type of archetype, not unlike the summoner. The secondary archetype would maybe determine its flavor (shapeshifting form).
  • CawwCaww Member
    Maybe as a master gardener,

umm.... I do need help with my roses...
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Caww wrote: »

I thought we already had hobbits with the Nikua?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CawwCaww Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Caww wrote: »

I thought we already had hobbits with the Nikua?

they EAT the roses !!!
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not really keen on the playstyle of a druid being in the game (the ability to fit any role), but I agree that it's an aesthetic that isn't super present in Ashes at the moment.
  • My favorite thing about my Night Elf boomkin from the game that shall not be named was the ability to Vanish and Flight Form out of pretty much any PVP (or PVE) situation that started going south. Pure win. Loved it.

Also loved the ability to B-rez before they gave the ability to other classes as well.

Also loved knocking people off the cliff at the LM in AB from Stealthed Cat Form.

Good times. For ashes, I just CANT WAIT TO PLAY with or without a Druid idc. LFG! Hype!
  • mcnasty wrote: »
    Also loved knocking people off the cliff at the LM in AB from Stealthed Cat Form.

You sound like my husband. He referred to his druid as a kitty rogue.