Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Wiki Master , Idea to encourage the exploration of AoC.

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited May 2022 in General Discussion
what would happen if from the AoC world players could update the wiki in the AoC libraries ? https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Ashes_of_Creation
It would be like a weekly or monthly mission with interesting prizes for supporting the wiki update (in a correct way).
The players with the most reliable support would earn intellectual titles to ensure the proper functioning of that system.

Developers/moderators will have the power to edit, choose and analyze the exploration feedbacks in the library and choose the best ones.

People who like to explore could write the chronicles of their travels in the library to complete exploration missions and in the same way complete the layout of the AoC world on their server, they could help a mini-wiki of their own world and although the AoC worlds will be different I suppose they will have similarities in some things and that's where they could support the wiki.

Exploration tends to be a lonely thing, but if positively encouraged, it would be a fun potential profession.
Master mappers, exploration masters, wiki masters, etc all could be encouraged by simply giving a contribution to exploration, travel, and discovery.

EDym4eg.png

Comments

• JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am technically interested in what @CROW3 thinks about this topic.

I don't have an opinion on it at the moment. Interesting topic though.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Could definitely be interesting. And seeing the Ashes multiverse grow would be amazing too.
  • DeftlyDeftly Member
    I always wanted an in-game solution for something like this. Players could bring information back to a town library and players could go there to see the information.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Thanks, @JustVine. I think the idea is intriguing. It ties my personal love of exploration back to the community benefit of knowing where folks can go and where it’s dangerous. This also goes back to UO (I think) where we could write our own books and distribute them.

The mechanics would be fun to whiteboard out. Such as what automatic tools would be at our disposal and what needs to be hand done by the player.

I also wonder how much of the player’s perspective becomes subjective versus objective. There may be folks that have incentive to document false information to drive node resources in the wrong direction (talk about embedding spies).

There’s a lot of paint on the palette here, wondering what the constraints would be.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I dunno how you do a wiki for all the different servers and capture the rises and falls of all the Nodes.
    I think the official Ashes of Creation website will probably have better mechanics to capture that.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree with @Deftly that it should be housed in-game in the libraries of the nodes which have them and in node town halls. After all, every server will be different so posting information game-wide is going to end up with misinformation and confusion.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    This is where the ‘how’ is worth brainstorming out.

One of the outputs I would find interesting would be a craftable map - using locations I’ve explored. I could then sell that map to other players. The result wouldn’t be a new object in their inventory, but update the information, relief, and density of their in-game map. A relatively inexperienced explorer would produce raster level information. A more experienced explorer could provide higher-density information - like a finely tuned GPS.

The wiki portion of this could be parsed and included as notes that could be accessed in the map itself. Or maybe you have to go to the library for those notes to be added to your map.

A lot of options to make this useful for players, and incentivizing the ambitious explorers to really get out there.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    This is where the ‘how’ is worth brainstorming out.

One of the outputs I would find interesting would be a craftable map - using locations I’ve explored. I could then sell that map to other players. The result wouldn’t be a new object in their inventory, but update the information, relief, and density of their in-game map. A relatively inexperienced explorer would produce raster level information. A more experienced explorer could provide higher-density information - like a finely tuned GPS.

The wiki portion of this could be parsed and included as notes that could be accessed in the map itself. Or maybe you have to go to the library for those notes to be added to your map.

A lot of options to make this useful for players, and incentivizing the ambitious explorers to really get out there.

I really think that MMOs don't take advantage of exploration in the right way. For many it's just going from point A to B or going from one city to another, but what's between point A to B or between cities? All these things are wasted.
    It is not the same to go to a place to see how beautiful it is than to go to investigate the area, learn from that area, get things from that area, get specific unique inputs for having explored that area and discovered a rare material thanks to dare to explore.
    I really believe that exploration is much more than just beautiful and different environments.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Add exploration for dungeon mapping too. No mini map for dungeons, only player made maps. Cartographer all the way!
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited May 2022
    Snowjade wrote: »
    Add exploration for dungeon mapping too. No mini map for dungeons, only player made maps. Cartographer all the way!

That's an interesting idea.
    EDym4eg.png
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Snowjade wrote: »
    Add exploration for dungeon mapping too. No mini map for dungeons, only player made maps. Cartographer all the way!

Totally!
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    CROW3 wrote: »
    While I like the idea of this, I have a minor issue with it.

Such a system would see the first person or two able to get a detailed map of a zone hit the jackpot, but everyone coming in behind them would have a late, inferior product to sell in a market where people only need one map of each dungeon.

To me, one fairly interesting solution to this could be that the cartographer needs to hit certain points in the dungeon in question, then head back to town to copy down the map. This process produces a limited number of copies of said map (perhaps three) for that cartographer to sell. Should they want to produce additional copies of that map, they need to then go back and hit each of the points in the dungeon once again and redo the whole process.

Another interesting layer on top of that could be that the quality of the map produced is directly related to how many times the cartographer has produced a map for the dungeon (basically as suggested above). The first set of maps they produce may be fairly poor, working up to fairly detailed maps after perhaps 10 trips in. What this will do is see some people wanting to purchase multiple maps of the same dungeon - they want to get an early map so they aren't blind, but then also want to upgrade that map at some point.

I will say that I would rather not see this idea in a game at all if a player can produce unlimited copies of a map without any work. It will lead to all maps being basically worthless in short order.
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited May 2022
    Noaani wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »
    While I like the idea of this, I have a minor issue with it.

Such a system would see the first person or two able to get a detailed map of a zone hit the jackpot, but everyone coming in behind them would have a late, inferior product to sell in a market where people only need one map of each dungeon.

To me, one fairly interesting solution to this could be that the cartographer needs to hit certain points in the dungeon in question, then head back to town to copy down the map. This process produces a limited number of copies of said map (perhaps three) for that cartographer to sell. Should they want to produce additional copies of that map, they need to then go back and hit each of the points in the dungeon once again and redo the whole process.

Another interesting layer on top of that could be that the quality of the map produced is directly related to how many times the cartographer has produced a map for the dungeon (basically as suggested above). The first set of maps they produce may be fairly poor, working up to fairly detailed maps after perhaps 10 trips in. What this will do is see some people wanting to purchase multiple maps of the same dungeon - they want to get an early map so they aren't blind, but then also want to upgrade that map at some point.

I will say that I would rather not see this idea in a game at all if a player can produce unlimited copies of a map without any work. It will lead to all maps being basically worthless in short order.

I also understand that gathering or wanting to manage so many systems for the AoC release is tedious and inefficient but it would be interesting that the ideas that the Intrepid developers find interesting to work on for future patches or expansions.

#Cartographer

#exploration for dungeon mapping
    #dungeons without minimap
    EDym4eg.png