Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tanking

As someone whose very eager to play a tanking role in this game (Im personally excited for the spellshield class). I wonder how it's going to be/feel with the game's combat system. For the love of god please don't be bad like New World.

Comments

• Options
    The combat update yesterday has given me a lot of hope for a quality combat system.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    KhronKhron Member
    I hope tanking and fighting NPC's in general will be based on intelligent movement and avoiding damage. The worst thing about classic mmorpg combat is standing in one place, taking blows from a 30m tall boss like it's a drizzle. Combat should be dynamic and fun, especially during boss fights. Bosses should be intimidating and hard to manage, they should force people to move quickly and adapt to the situation. That should also enable the developers to lessen the reliance on healing in PVE (in regard to the standard healer, tank dps triangle). Combat should focus on mobility and skill, not taking heavy hits and fat heals, while standing in one place (tunnel-vision zoom on the healing addon).
  • Options
    Mitchendo64Mitchendo64 Member
    edited July 2022
    The combat update yesterday has given me a lot of hope for a quality combat system.

Absolutely! My only worry with the action combat is player collison. In New World all the dps would swarm around the mobs and there would be no space for the tank to actually be able to hit the mobs and get aggro
  • Options

Absolutely! My only worry with the action combat is player collison. In New World all the dps would swarm around the mobs and there would be no space for the tank to actually be able to hit the mobs and get aggro

collision is better than no collision. this way you dont have 100 people stacked on top of each other in a massive ball of rainbow VFX barf death ball. Not only that but it adds in dynamic gameplay mechanics which can diminish some major zerging cheese.
  • Options
    NorkoreNorkore Member
    edited July 2022

As a tank myself I can agree it can get annoying, but DPS will just have to learn to position better, my advice is if they can't figure it out on their own you should try to talk to them and explain how bad tanking is for you due to their poor positioning. If they make tanking even more frustrating than it normally is there will be less and less tanks in the game, which they certainly will not want to happen.
    Collision is necessary due to the nature of the game (big scale fights will happen often in the open world and it would be terrible if people could stack on top of each other).