Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapon swapping / bar swapping Thoughts...

The most recent melee weapon combat reveal was great! yes there are minor technical things that need to be worked out, but overall GREAT progress...
With that being said. I picked up a few things that were not the focus of the reveal.

WEAPON SWAPING!!! I HOPE that intrepid implements a "bar swap" system allowing for different abilities to be assigned when swapping weapons. Simply put if my sword and board are equipped, I should have the ability to slot some of my more "tanky/defensive/ buff" skills and then when swap to my two hand "offensive/movement" skills can be utilized.
This style worked great in other games and gave birth to combat builds that had a great "push and pull" effect to combat, PvP especially. A bar swap type of combat add SOOOO much diversity to how a character's combat might play. It also allows a player to really flesh out their own playstyle. Eso did a pretty good job at this. I will say that not having "weapon skills" is an interesting take but that can of worms can stay closed until we see more of the ability's released.

Oh, and one of the devs said Ultimate in the video EXCITING!!

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    We'll have multiple hotbars for abilities. See no point in tying those to weapons or gear overall.
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxPF0458MYP8osRC3ACmfHA16a0RgX3b9u

If I misunderstood what you meant by "bar swap", do correct me.
  • Options
    Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Optics2134 wrote: »
    A bar swap type of combat

621e6emw3sic.gif

• Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    We'll have multiple hotbars for abilities. See no point in tying those to weapons or gear overall.
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxPF0458MYP8osRC3ACmfHA16a0RgX3b9u

If I misunderstood what you meant by "bar swap", do correct me.

That helps tremendously looks like maybe a wow style skill access... I'm digging it thanks
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Steven explicitly said in the Q&A that character active skills will not be tied to weapon type.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes has a Weapon Skills tree.
    Bars won't be swapping.
  • Options
    Optics2134 wrote: »
    The most recent melee weapon combat reveal was great! yes there are minor technical things that need to be worked out, but overall GREAT progress...
    With that being said. I picked up a few things that were not the focus of the reveal.

WEAPON SWAPING!!! I HOPE that intrepid implements a "bar swap" system allowing for different abilities to be assigned when swapping weapons. Simply put if my sword and board are equipped, I should have the ability to slot some of my more "tanky/defensive/ buff" skills and then when swap to my two hand "offensive/movement" skills can be utilized.
    This style worked great in other games and gave birth to combat builds that had a great "push and pull" effect to combat, PvP especially. A bar swap type of combat add SOOOO much diversity to how a character's combat might play. It also allows a player to really flesh out their own playstyle. Eso did a pretty good job at this. I will say that not having "weapon skills" is an interesting take but that can of worms can stay closed until we see more of the ability's released.

Oh, and one of the devs said Ultimate in the video EXCITING!!

What game are you playing where you are swapping bars so much?
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    GW2 had this same system.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    AFAIK
    I don't think their goal is to have such a freely changeable weapon and ability bar swapping as they want to keep the RP in the RPG where player choices matter in their class and abilities. You will be able to change out things and respec etc but not a quick swap or anything along those lines.

10 abilities is plenty as it provides a cleaner UI experience. But also take into consideration that many gamers dont need to have 30 icons on their UI as in most situations on average, only a handful of abilities are commonly used with maybe another handful for situational options.

With how augments work and secondary class choices, there will be lots to work with for combat synergy.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Eso? No.
  • Options
    AFAIK
    I don't think their goal is to have such a freely changeable weapon and ability bar swapping as they want to keep the RP in the RPG where player choices matter in their class and abilities. You will be able to change out things and respec etc but not a quick swap or anything along those lines.

10 abilities is plenty as it provides a cleaner UI experience. But also take into consideration that many gamers dont need to have 30 icons on their UI as in most situations on average, only a handful of abilities are commonly used with maybe another handful for situational options.

With how augments work and secondary class choices, there will be lots to work with for combat synergy.

Agreeable statements bro, I Opened this thread hoping to obtain info into the combat style this game is moving towards. high hopes!
  • Options
    When I envision my character, I think of the way it looks and the weapon it uses, I don't want to be forced to have to use another weapon just so I can fill out my second bar like ESO does this. I strongly believe you should only have 1 weapon equippable at a time on a character and that no skills should be tied to weapons.
    If I'm a mage I wanna have my wand/staff and cast spells from all of my skill bars, not have to switch to another staff or whatever to cast my second set of skills. This is a terrible idea in my opinion after having spend hundreds of hours in ESO.
  • Options
    Weapon swapping is great. Somewhere around 9-10 second cooldown feels amazing when done well. Combat limited to one weapon can feel simple and restrictive.
  • Options
    Eso? No.

I love bar swapping in eso.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Eso? No.

How can you love it? You only have 12 skills, 6 per bar of which one is an ultimate. At least 3 of them must be mandatory selfbuffs and 1 is a mandatory heal. I am not even going to mention some classes that must slot ACTIVE SKILLS that they WONT USE, only for the passive benefit.

Is other words you have 6 abilities to play with. Only 6 abilities to slot from a massive pool:
    Class
    Weapons
    Fighters guild
    Mages guild
    (Undaunted)
    (3 armor weights)
    Psyjic
    Assult War
    Defence War
    Vampiric

How do you love esos bar swap? Even bdo has a better weapon swap system.
  • Options
    I would love a design where each character could use 2 weapons, both of them should be visible on the character at all times, on their holsters or sheathes. A transitioning animation for switching weapons, unlike esos glitchy AC, and a bar per weapon of 15 slots, for skills to drag in from various sources and afiliations.
    But will that ever happen in an mmo? Not for the next 15 years.

Anyway I brought this up in a very old thread of mine. Not going to happen with AoC.
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would love a design where each character could use 2 weapons, both of them should be visible on the character at all times, on their holsters or sheathes. A transitioning animation for switching weapons, unlike esos glitchy AC, and a bar per weapon of 15 slots, for skills to drag in from various sources and afiliations.

Anyway I brought this up in a very old thread of mine. Not going to happen with AoC.

Didn't new world essentially do this? I'm unable to remember as it was a rather forgetful experience.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    Elder wrote: »

Didn't new world essentially do this? I'm unable to remember as it was a rather forgetful experience.

NW didnt do what I mentioned above.
  • Options

How so? They had two weapons, as far as I remember both were visible at any one time.

gif.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2022

How so? They had two weapons, as far as I remember both were visible at any one time.

The weapons of NW where the skills a character could have in the game. 3 abilities per weapon. That's not what I, clearly, wrote on my post.
    Eso was bad. NW was terrible.
  • Options
    Personally I really dislike weapon swapping, i pick a weapon to play that weapon, I dont want to be forced to constantly swap to a weapon i dont want to play with.
  • Options

The weapons of NW where the skills a character could have in the game. 3 abilities per weapon. That's not what I, clearly, wrote on my post.
    Eso was bad. NW was terrible.

I see, so it's essentially the same as what you're suggesting but with less abilities.
    gif.gif
  • Options
    Eso? No.

Eso had its flaws with balancing for sure, lots of meta.... but it did allow for some very creative builds, I thoroughly enjoyed the game for a few years until they broke their own game... the lag monster destroyed cyrodil.
  • Options
    Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would love a design where each character could use 2 weapons, both of them should be visible on the character at all times, on their holsters or sheathes.
    That's not what I, clearly, wrote on my post.

So yeah, New world system with more abilities and different sources to get them. What a weird thing to get your panties in a wad over.
  • Options
    Cat Quiver wrote: »
    I would love a design where each character could use 2 weapons, both of them should be visible on the character at all times, on their holsters or sheathes.

So yeah, New world system with more abilities and different sources to get them. What a weird thing to get your panties in a wad over.

Isn't that GW2 then
    5 abilities based off of the equiped weapon and then 5 others?

• Options

Hang on mate. Just because you dont understand that NW doesnt even have classes, nor mmo worthy hotbars but rather a few pathetic moves per weapon, just because you dont pay attention that I wrote that my post was years ago, just because you and the other guy got me to reply many times over because you clearly dont have the ability to read a small post and understand what was being proposed in relation to this topic; all of its features, it doesnt mean that Im on the wrong.

You cut and paste only the part that you felt familiar with from my post and then you get to call me out?
    Why do you even post?
  • Options

Hang on mate. Just because you dont understand that NW doesnt even have classes, nor mmo worthy hotbars but rather a few pathetic moves per weapon, just because you dont pay attention that I wrote that my post was years ago, just because you and the other guy got me to reply many times over because you clearly dont have the ability to read a small post and understand what was being proposed in relation to this topic; all of its features, it doesnt mean that Im on the wrong.

You cut and paste only the part that you felt familiar with from my post and then you get to call me out?
    Why do you even post?

That was unnecessarily hostile. I understand feeling defensive but I was nothing but civil with you.

I don't think anyone's even arguing with you. I simply referenced new world as it sounded very similar to your comment and I was interested.

gif.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Which part was hostile? I replied to the panties guy
  • Options
    Which part was hostile? I replied to the panties guy

I believe you were implying that because I, "the other guy" had asked a question in response to your comment that I "clearly dont have the ability to read a small post"
    just because you and the other guy got me to reply many times over because you clearly dont have the ability to read a small post

It's entirely possible that you misrepresented your intention with during this portion of your comment if your intention wasn't to be insulting or was to only insult @Cat Quiver.

I won't comment on anything else as I wasn't directly referenced and I'm not looking to include myself further.

gif.gif
  • Options
    Im all good here. NW is a bad game. It's a waste of time talking about it. Same with eso but to a lesser extend.
  • Options
    Otr wrote: »
    What game is good?

Pacman