Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tank styles.

Does anyone know if you will be able to use points in some form to increase your hp?
I only ask because I'm all about different tank styles. Beefy HP tanks, evasion tanks, CC focused tanks.
I want options and the ability to feel like "i built that".
I want a pvp fight to feel like testing my ability to create a build against someone elses (at least in part. skill obviously has alot to do with it as well)
I'm very much hoping you can truly tailor build your character into specific areas of a role.

Comments

• Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Tanks will have different build options

Evasion tanks
    Control tanks
    Shield tanks

Stats aren't allocated via points.
    Stat growth proceeds in the following order:

The race "seeds" a player's base stats.
    The primary archetype grows the base stats

I believe during A1 the tank archetype had access to a passive ability that increased maximum health.

The AoC Wiki is fairly comprehensive, you might be interested in reading the entry on the tank archetype.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tank
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Primary_skills

Players receive skill points as they level. These can be used to level up skills (increase their rank) within their active, passive or combat/weapon skill trees.[21][22][23][24]

It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.[24]
    In terms of skill progression, players can choose to go "wide" and get a number of different abilities, or go "deep" into a few specific abilities.[25]
    Players are able to reset and reallocate their skill points.[26]

Making active skills capable of receiving additional skill point allocations and unlocking additional features so that from a player agency standpoint it's going to be up to you whether or not you want to be more diverse but less depth- wider and not taller, in some of these skill choices. Or if you want to be very very tall, that's going to be something that is up to the player in that regard.[27] – Steven Sharif

Players can build their characters with the active skills they want on their action bar (hotbar).[29][30][31]

The number of skills on the action bar will be contained (fewer than 30).[32]
    There will be an option to include multiple hotbars.[29][31]
    For example: One Fighter will be different from another based on what active skills they have chosen.[32]
    Through skill choice, players can customize their combat experience to focus on tab targeted skills, action targeted skills, or a mix of both.[33]
    Players are not given skills as they level up, they must choose what skills they take.[25]
    There is no spellbook requiring memorization.[34]

Alpha-1 preview skills user interface.[19]
    vlcsnap-2021-06-29-13h03m58s025_%282%29.png
    This is where players allocate skill points into either their active skills, their passive abilities- which can augment their usage of weapons and armors and health regeneration and passive stats and stuff like that-- but on the weapons side of things, that's where you will spec into certain types of procs based off of weapon groupings. So we've talked a little bit about this in the past: If you have a dagger, daggers might have a chance to proc a bleed on your weapon attack and that would synergize with an active skills' ability like let's say Backstab that does additional damage if the target is under a bleed effect. Now we have said in the past that players will be able to allocate skill points into their active skills that are more geared towards either action combat or tab targeting.[20] – Steven Sharif
  • Options
    AzrayaAzraya Member
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Primary_skills

Players receive skill points as they level. These can be used to level up skills (increase their rank) within their active, passive or combat/weapon skill trees.[21][22][23][24]

It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.[24]
    In terms of skill progression, players can choose to go "wide" and get a number of different abilities, or go "deep" into a few specific abilities.[25]
    Players are able to reset and reallocate their skill points.[26]

Making active skills capable of receiving additional skill point allocations and unlocking additional features so that from a player agency standpoint it's going to be up to you whether or not you want to be more diverse but less depth- wider and not taller, in some of these skill choices. Or if you want to be very very tall, that's going to be something that is up to the player in that regard.[27] – Steven Sharif

Players can build their characters with the active skills they want on their action bar (hotbar).[29][30][31]

The number of skills on the action bar will be contained (fewer than 30).[32]
    There will be an option to include multiple hotbars.[29][31]
    For example: One Fighter will be different from another based on what active skills they have chosen.[32]
    Through skill choice, players can customize their combat experience to focus on tab targeted skills, action targeted skills, or a mix of both.[33]
    Players are not given skills as they level up, they must choose what skills they take.[25]
    There is no spellbook requiring memorization.[34]

Alpha-1 preview skills user interface.[19]
    vlcsnap-2021-06-29-13h03m58s025_%282%29.png
    This is where players allocate skill points into either their active skills, their passive abilities- which can augment their usage of weapons and armors and health regeneration and passive stats and stuff like that-- but on the weapons side of things, that's where you will spec into certain types of procs based off of weapon groupings. So we've talked a little bit about this in the past: If you have a dagger, daggers might have a chance to proc a bleed on your weapon attack and that would synergize with an active skills' ability like let's say Backstab that does additional damage if the target is under a bleed effect. Now we have said in the past that players will be able to allocate skill points into their active skills that are more geared towards either action combat or tab targeting.[20] – Steven Sharif

Thank you for that. Good info to have.
  • Options
    SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited July 2022
    What the different combinations with primary tank makes me think of:

Tank/Tank - Beefy boy
    Tank/Rogue - Evasion
    Tank/Fighter - Parry focused
    Tank/Cleric - Lifesteal focused
    Tank/Summoner - Crowd control
    Tank/Mage - Defensive spell focus
    Tank/Ranger - Cowardly tank, hehe. Tbh No idea what this would look like.
    Tank/Bard - Paper tank with self heal :D

Ofc there are schools of augment as well.
    Ex: Tank/Rogue can have a poison focus as well whose application would lower attack speed and damage or something of that sort.

So to answer OPs question, yeah you will be able to tailor build your tank with lots of different playstyle choices.

Edit: Tank/Ranger - Might be a Off-tank spec...taunts with greater range and mobility spells for taunting mobs and kiting in a raid/dungeon.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    The only tanking style i need is the active style, im tired of tanks being nothing but sandbags relying on stats and healers.

I have a dang shield, I wanna use it.
    The combat update video showed us blocking with greatsword and daggers, so i guess ill have my wish.
  • Options
    Otr wrote: »
    Elder wrote: »
    Tanks will have different build options

Evasion tanks
    Control tanks
    Shield tanks

A mage could maybe tank using an energy shield too?
    Another player could transfer mana to him, to help keeping the shield up.

Yes. Yess.
    More for the mage tank builds.
    😆
  • Options
    Tank/ranger could use a beast companion to tank and hold aggro allowing you to do a bit more damage. The draw back is since it's a companion doing the dirty work. It's not as effective as an actual player. Also the companion is on a timer/can die, so you would have to keep reposition the boss and have to summon the companion again.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    If any of you remember the battle at Dumai Wells in RJ’s Wheel of Time (I think it was book 6), that was a brutal example of mage tanking.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    "Just because im a blood mage, doesnt mean there is something special about MY blood." - blood mage about to use a village as fuel to mage tank
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Patrull wrote: »
    Tank/ranger could use a beast companion to tank and hold aggro allowing you to do a bit more damage. The draw back is since it's a companion doing the dirty work. It's not as effective as an actual player. Also the companion is on a timer/can die, so you would have to keep reposition the boss and have to summon the companion again.
    Do Rangers get beast companions?
    That seems more like a Summoner/Tank.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    Patrull wrote: »
    Do Rangers get beast companions?
    That seems more like a Summoner/Tank.

Anyone can have a battle pet.....? But yeah, seems more along the lines of a summoner.

But maybe a ranger-tank has some buff target ally stuff and a battle pet, for this guys hoped for flavor.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As described, beast companion seems to be different from Battle Pet.