Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Player run taverns

Ok am I the only one that is mad most mmos don't have some sort of ability for players to build and run actual shops that are actual buildings in towns. I think it would be cool if there was the ability for people to rent out or build shops in towns like taverns or food stores. I mean the food and drinks that come from the places should be better than the food found in loot.

Comments

• How to control who will be owner?
  • i would LOVE to run a tavern ingame. or in real life.
  • Yes but there is no way to control that. Only way is who offers more money to run tavern which is unfair or random guy but if that random guy doesnt run and only he can run it then what then?
  • ima going to build a house, and make food and beer and sell it to people at the house :P
  • I'd love to see a mechanic like that in Ashes, but as @haki touched upon, I'm rather curious as to how it would work.
  • Guild A is controlling a node and they developed/defended it long enough to add taverns on their node. Guild members of that guild can submit the items/materials they want to sell for X price and guild leader can approve those items so that they can be available to buy for everyone that's passing through that tavern :P
  • I think this idea is great. We don't have to go too overboard on that idea, obviously.. But let's say Guild A has three or so cooks, they can make food for the tavern, once all the food has been eaten or it has gone to waste, the tavern can't sell their food.

Planning would play a major role, your guild / cooks have to store sufficient goods for continuous cooking / baking yada yada. If not, they don't make any profit, go figure..
    This whole "tavern run by players" idea might be something for later stages of the game. Food bought from Guild A's tavern might give distinctive buffs / status that other guilds / Nodes don't offer.

Thoughts?

~ Zention
  • Love this idea! Would like to see it in game O:
  • [quote quote=3485]I think this idea is great. We don’t have to go too overboard on that idea, obviously.. But let’s say Guild A has three or so cooks, they can make food for the tavern, once all the food has been eaten or it has gone to waste, the tavern can’t sell their food.

Planning would play a major role, your guild / cooks have to store sufficient goods for continuous cooking / baking yada yada. If not, they don’t make any profit, go figure..
    This whole “tavern run by players” idea might be something for later stages of the game. Food bought from Guild A’s tavern might give distinctive buffs / status that other guilds / Nodes don’t offer.

Thoughts?

[/quote]
    Doesnt even have to be distinct buffs, you just need the food for buffs in general. Like in ESO you need food buffs, but if you havent done the skill yourself you gotta by your food. From the sound of it, professions are gonna take a long time, so becoming a masterchef might take a while. Giving those who are it a little extra is fine :)
  • I think it's an excellent idea! Only problem I can really see, for now, is the idea of pricing and such. If players set their own prices, problems could arise if there is only one player owned tavern in the town. But who knows! I still think this idea is pretty cool.
  • [quote quote=3519]I think it’s an excellent idea! Only problem I can really see, for now, is the idea of pricing and such. If players set their own prices, problems could arise if there is only one player owned tavern in the town. But who knows! I still think this idea is pretty cool.

[/quote]
    If a city is large enough so there no nearby town to travel to (for cheaper food), then it will probably have room for two taverns anyway ;) But theres always the problem of one guilding taking over every tavern in a large city (but isnt that part of the game?).
  • I think this would be interesting to see. Also ESO already does this to a degree. Like in Mournhold. The merchants around the wayshrine are controlled by guilds.
  • Competition drives an economy and player interaction. These kinds of situations are what I live for and love to see in games.

Guild A is the biggest food producer with the best buffs so it sells the food for ludicrous prices. For a while things are good for them.

Guild B isn't as far along and has slightly less awesome perks with their food but they severely undercut Guild A. People decide buying lots of far cheaper and only slightly less potent food is a better deal so they bring their business there.

At this point a few things could happen. Guild A could move to a new area that is far enough for the travel to not make Guild B's food worth it. Guild A could also lower their prices or offer the same less buffed food for the same price or cheaper. Guild A could wage war against Guild B until one side loses and moves. Guild A could pay/bribe Guild C that consists mostly of fighters to take out or harass Guild B to the point of moving. Guild A could hire Guild C to defend the lands where the food supplies spawn in and prevent Guild B from getting to them. Guild D could enter the scene with even less buffed food for ridiculously low prices and put both A and B out of business.

Any of those outcomes make for a great story and that should be the point of MMORPGs, creating great stories.
  • [quote quote=3390]How to control who will be owner?

[/quote]

Player housing, Games like Rift with its Dimensions makes it easy for players to turn their housing into a tavern. This has been done in player housing for guilds and single players for years now. In FFXIV there are Free Companies (Guilds) that have their housing built up to look like a tavern. There are also player owned houses that do the same. I'm sure its the same in other mmos like Wildstar and TOR anad I'm sure that in TESO there are players who are also going to make taverns with their housing. Star Wars Galaxies had player run taverns and shops that players created from scratch and in that game you were able to build an entire player run city.

Why would this be hard?
  • Player run Taverns is a great RP setup. Let players setup their house in a player run city as a Tavern. Just dont make it mandatory that people have to go to them and we are good. Let players have freedom.
  • OP, you're talking about Chronicles of Elyria huh?
    I mean, that sounds great, but you would need a good AI system, almost like dwarf fortress for that to happen and I haven't seen a game do that.
    Relying on players to support your business will be tricky, but still, hope it turns out great.