Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Release the Kraken! Can we monster coin an epic monster?

I watched a video on monster coins yesterday where they all became bunnies. :) When an epic monster is released into the world will someone be able to monster coin it and become the Kraken? (I can't really think of any other sea monsters as awesome as the Kraken so I'm assuming that will be the epic sea creature.)

Comments

• Options
    Depends on what kind of monsters they are but yes, you will be able to with an appropriate coin. Unless its a special monster where they want it to be more significant and not allow people to control it so that there's a better play experience.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    What zomnivore said. Imagine the coins in your standard MMO currency as an example. Copper would get you bunnies, silver would get you a wolf, gold would get you a troll, and platinum would get you your Kraken. Until they set the system nobody knows the exact details, but can theorize it will be something like this. They already showed in livestream that coins will drop as loot, so everyone will get a chance to participate. They stated the way that they all became bunnies would not be the game mechanic, but rather they would be timed, location specific events. Probably to make sure that 1000 people dont show up and try to crash servers by becoming bunnies all in one area at the same time. I imagine that there will be a monster event queue to stop such banditry, say the first 25 people to show up at the event can register their coin for the event, once full, event starts and mayhem ensues.

• Options
    When explaining the coins in the latest stream, they said if a dragon is attacking a city trying to burn it down is one thing, but if a player is suddenly the dragon it makes it a whole other story. From this you can assume that any monster is obtainable as a coin, but like UnkownSystemError said some monsters they might not want to be a coin.
  • Options
    There is an epic tier monster coin - not sure about there being a Kraken though.
  • Options
    Probably to make sure that 1000 people don't show up and try to crash servers by becoming bunnies all in one area at the same time. 
    Now I want this. I want a bunch of people to become bunnies and attack a caravan so bad. I want it now.  :)
  • Options
    bunny caravan raids would be cool... maybe a guild coin perk for an event down the road?
    Like for Easter or something? I know I'd mug people as a bunny if more games allowed it lol.
  • Options
    bunny caravan raids would be cool... maybe a guild coin perk for an event down the road?
    Like for Easter or something? I know I'd mug people as a bunny if more games allowed it lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    They might make it so minor drakes and sea monsters will be playable with the epic monster coins. However, major dragons, kraken, and other monsters that fall into the "world boss category" will be NPCs.

If a world boss dragon is awakened by a Stage 4 node being completed on the mountainside and it comes in and terrorizes the town, it would have to be a NPC because it is supposed to stick around until players deal with it or give up and move to another node (how badly do the players want to make it into a Stage 6 metropolis?). A player would not be able to hang around all the time to play the dragon and play GM to a DnD session.

That said, a time limit scenario is feasible where the player-controlled monster has to destroy the town within a certain time before the event ends but that limits the possible outcomes down to 1. Players defeat the monster 2. Monster destroys the town 3. The monster does not accomplish the raid within the time limit and flees.

I think Scenario 3 is what the devs would want to avoid in situations of major consequence where the world reacts to what the players are doing.
  • Options
    I think the devs stated that the node in which a world boss appears will remain in this certain state until the boss will be defeated.
    For example when an ice boss appears the node remains in an winter-like state until the boss gets defeated.
    If this boss will be controled by a player it means he needs to be 24/7 online in order to keep the node "dangerous" so that it can be retrieved again 
  • Options
    Or they could walk over to the next node and attack that world boss Godzilla style.  :D
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    Or they could walk over to the next node and attack that world boss Godzilla style.  :D

To fight monsters when used monster token of our own "Pacific Rim music identifies"
  • Options
  • Options
    nagash said:
    sunfrog said:

To fight monsters when used monster token of our own "Pacific Rim music identifies"
    We are just talking a whole different game at this point :)
  • Options
    @Julemanden It does beg the quest what happens if two people use the monster token at the same time time?
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    Now I want this. I want a bunch of people to become bunnies and attack a caravan so bad. I want it now.  :)
    Man, this makes me think of the old-day naked gnome races we had in WoW! Make it to the Wetlands, then head over into Kalimdor and have a bunch of low-level naked gnomes attacking Crossroads. I can only think of how the Horde players were laughing their arses off!
  • Options
    Isende said:
    sunfrog said:
    Man, this makes me think of the old-day naked gnome races we had in WoW! Make it to the Wetlands, then head over into Kalimdor and have a bunch of low-level naked gnomes attacking Crossroads. I can only think of how the Horde players were laughing their arses off!

Reminds me of the the game overlord when you have to kill 1000 of the little squeakers
  • Options
    Since there will be sea content, there will most definitely be sea monsters. :) Even epic ones!

How they will look like, we have to wait to see. But It is likely that it could be something octopus like, with tentacles and stuff.
  • Options
    Kasuto said:
    I think the devs stated that the node in which a world boss appears will remain in this certain state until the boss will be defeated.
    For example when an ice boss appears the node remains in an winter-like state until the boss gets defeated.
    If this boss will be controled by a player it means he needs to be 24/7 online in order to keep the node "dangerous" so that it can be retrieved again 
    um, no. you didn't listen what the devs said right? AI will take over if the player logged out.

Also, the rest of you, apparently there'll be a queue for the monster coin usage.  you'll be premitted to transform into a monster only a particular time, so you cannot spam spawns.
  • Options
    going to be different monster token , but the best monster are going to be rare 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    @Julemanden It does beg the quest what happens if two people use the monster token at the same time time?
    Aye it does, but isnt it obvious? Lets take this example: 
    They keep saying "a heard of zombies", that would mean several people can join right? If several join they might be able to kill other zombies, but then they dont get a cosmetic reward. That begs the question: Would some people want to forgo the reward to help the city? And do/can some people use it as a pseudo siege?

A side from the occasional troll I think most people will work together to get the cosmetics :)
  • Options
    I was thinking more along the lines of a dragon vs a mountain giant leveling everything in a huge fight will NPC are running away and players cheering on the one on their side but that works aswell ^^
  • Options
    I Imagine something similar to the kraken could be introduced as a sea boss event for the naval content being introduced thanks to kickstarter stretch goals.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I was thinking more along the lines of a dragon vs a mountain giant leveling everything in a huge fight will NPC are running away and players cheering on the one on their side but that works aswell ^^
    I dont think you should expect to Epic level bosses in one node at the same time :) And I don't think they will allow boss migration ;)
  • Options
    I know it would just be epic to see something like that   :D
  • Options

It's definitely an appealing feature of the game but evidently there's a lot of room for clarity in terms of how this will be implemented. I'd be in favour of multiple epic bosses in one node but not an infinite amount.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    nagash said:
    I know it would just be epic to see something like that   :D

Ah but you will.

Node leaders have access to dragons. And node can siege node ;)

Bring the Kraken...we have a hulk dragon

• Options
    sunfrog said:
    Man, this makes me think of the old-day naked gnome races we had in WoW! Make it to the Wetlands, then head over into Kalimdor and have all these low-level naked gnomes attack Crossroads. How fun that was!
  • Options
    @Julemanden If players wanted to help the city there wouldn't be much point in turning into a monster. Perhaps just to try it out, but there could be a solution for that, too.

Either if they don't accomplish their mission in a set time an AI would take over and they would get "dismounted" and/or the same would happen if they strayed too far from the area of their mission. Not saying that will be a feature but it could be if that was an issue.
  • Options
    Peroin said:
    @Julemanden If players wanted to help the city there wouldn't be much point in turning into a monster. Perhaps just to try it out, but there could be a solution for that, too.

Either if they don't accomplish their mission in a set time an AI would take over and they would get "dismounted" and/or the same would happen if they strayed too far from the area of their mission. Not saying that will be a feature but it could be if that was an issue.
    Well you cant turn into a monster in your own node, so I was more thinking in along the lines of "helping" another node and having fun. I know it was a stretch, but they wondered about monsters killing monster, and I thought of something ;)
  • Options
    Yeah gonna be fun to use the epic coin to control some of the strongest monsters in the game, although its gonna be a long wait since those random events will only take place at the 5-6th node stages which may take 4-6 months to acquire based on what they stated on the livestreams.
    I would love to see 2 other videos showing the Legion and Epic monsters to see the difference since we already have the Elite coin video.