Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Open World PvP

As someone coming from BDO, just wondering if there was open world pvp.

Comments

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    yes with meaning as well
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    And let me just say, I hate open world pvp, I left BDO because of it. It halts progress after a certain level because the higher level people or guilds will PK anyone who enters their farming area and the game become a chore just to improve so you can go to someplace new. So I'm hoping this game doesn't put it in and rather have something similar to B&S where you can wear an outfit to engage in open world pvp when you want and take it off when you don't feel like fighting other players anymore.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Yes
    Short and sweet lol xD
  • Options
    Have you heard about corruption? They've discussed this as a mechanic to try and limit PK, but there's possibly more mechanics in the works. Open World PvP will be in the game though and I don't believe (though I have no proof or supporting evidence) they'll supply us with PvP and PvE servers.  
  • Options
    From the Ashes wiki:
    Player combat in Ashes of Creation is both vast and intimate. It spans many aspects of the game itself. From great political battles held on the fields of massive castles, to open world conflicts fought for the pride of Guild Leaders. A player can choose to participate in the fate of the world by swaying the tide of battle with his or her combat prowess.

Our PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest; fight for control over cities, castles, caravans, or hunting grounds. Our PvP is designed to offer the players a well-balanced and fair world to shape through the pen, or sword should they choose. 

The majority of PvP is open world (with a few exceptions such as arena battles). In short, meaningful PVP in an open world is a pillar of Ashes' design :)

• Options
    edited June 2017
    When they talk about corruption, they make it akin to murder.  I believe the intent is to make PK'ing an event that has very serious consequences.  Yes, you can PK, but you're going to have to be pretty motivated.

With that in mind, to the poster talking about large guilds locking an area in BDO... At the point the guild PK's someone, they get flagged for PvP.  Now, other guilds can attack them without being flagged.  It could trigger world PVP...  Yesssss.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for all the quick answers, I just found out about the game today which is why I'm not completely familiar with all the mechanics they want to put in yet. I just wanted this question answered because it's one of the aspects of the current MMO's that is bugging me atm. If they can find some way to balance it like Kratz says I'm all for it. I just got tired of constantly being ganked on BDO trying to just fight some bosses to get some loot and someone turns on pvp at the last second and kills all the lower lvl/gear people and preventing them from getting exp/items/knowledge etc. and having the person's 'punishment' being a slap on the wrist.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    If you haven't, check out the official discord too. 

The link is here:
    https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation

• Options
    Ashes of Creation focuses heavily on open world pvp. There will be some instanced pvp, for those who like 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 arenas, but mostly it is all done in open world. You can be a PKer and gain corruption, that once you die you get negative buffs and you can be hunted by Bounty Hunter players. The major part of the pvp system will be the sieges and caravan systems.

You will be able to rally your local community together to either siege another Node to get a zoi (Zone of Influence) to further the development of your Node, or you can defend your own Node from invaders. Failure to defend your Node will result the Node to delevel and drop in zoi, which could potentially remove freeholds and other perks of your Node.

Then the caravan system, which will be used in place of an auction house, where players have to put their hard earned goods together and send them to a market place. Bandit players can gather other players together to destroy these caravans and take a portion of those goods for themselves, so you have to defend your goods carefully.

All in all the open world pvp system looks well thought out and there are potential rewards and risks for your personal ventures.
  • Options
    Yes there is open world PvP. The negative aspects that you mention, are aspects that the developers are trying to work around. They don't like players griefing, and are trying to make steep consequences to players that attempt to do it. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the quick replies, this helps greatly. I hope they do figure out a good balance for the PvP so that it doesn't become a PK fest for grind spots and griefing like BDO. I'll definitely pay attention to where this game is going.
  • Options
    Kesarakk lays it out quite nicely. While open world PVP is one of the pillars of Ashes, the devs don't intend for guilds and nodes to go to war lightly (sieges and guild battles). Caravan and hunting ground based PVP can likely be avoided altogether. Griefing will have steep penalties. Of course, this is all design philosophy. None of us truly knows what this will all look like come alpha / beta, but many of us trusted Steven / Intrepid enough to back the game and his vision.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Kratz said:
    Yes
    Short and sweet lol xD
    Are you talking about my Dwarf or my comment? :D
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Ashes will likely have far more PvP than BDO with regard to controlling resources and NPC grinding spots.  That's the basic dynamic of nodes competing to be the node that gets to advance to the highest city sizes.

The corruption system is designed to reduce the amount of individual random player killing by solo gankers, however, it won't have hardly any effect at all on large groups of organised players trying to control an area around a node or a location of particular value.

The upside is that cities are not generic neutral NPC hubs - players will have a vested interest in protecting their home node, the area around it, and their fellow node citizens.  Solo players, small groups, and large guilds will have common goals often lacking in most other games where everyone tends to do their own thing.
  • Options
    Even in your garden you can be ganked in the most defended city.
  • Options
    Fleelix said:
    Even in your garden you can be ganked in the most defended city.
    Now you sound like my local MP.
  • Options
    I think its time to work on the defenses for my tomb. imp! bring me my blueprints amd wake up the golems we have work to do
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Winter is coming!
  • Options
    not unless you want to lose xp/levels/be shown red on the map for all to see, be flagged red for all to attack and lose your items as well, but besides that sure there is open world PvP
  • Options
    I know im a year late but @nagash really needs to cut down on watching Overlord lol
  • Options
    @NTBRO
    I mean, there is a chance to lose your items, it's not guaranteed. Also, no level loss, just stat loss. Misinformation doesn't help.

Being able to choose to kill anyone you want almost anywhere (cities may not allow it or guards might end you quickly if you do, freeholds, potential other locations) counts as open world PvP. This could be reason enough to not consider it open world since it's not everywhere, but it's a majority of the 'world-space.'

Just because your choice to kill someone that doesn't fight back results in a loss to you as well doesn't somehow subtract from the fact that you can do it. You kill someone that doesn't fight back, you both lose more than if you engaged in mutual PvP.
  • Options
    I know im a year late but @nagash really needs to cut down on watching Overlord lol
    Heresy! There is never a need to watch less Overlord   :joy:
  • Options
    to Keep it short .... yes xD
  • Options
    (Also, it's xp debt; not xp loss)
    I don't think Corrupted player characters show red on the map for everyone to see.
    Just Bounty Hunters and Clerics can identify Corrupted player characters on the map.
    IIRC
  • Options
    How dare you sir, I read Warhammer and follow the true god of death himself, not some false prophet and his fan club 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I know im a year late but nagash really needs to cut down on watching Overlord lol
    How dare you sir, I read Warhammer and follow the true god of death himself, not some false prophet and his fan club 
    These kids and their "Overlord". I bet they think Lizardmen came from that series too.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I know im a year late but nagash really needs to cut down on watching Overlord lol
    These kids and their "Overlord". I bet they think Lizardmen came from that series too.
    haha imagine lord mazdamundi in the world of overlord hahahahahahha
  • Options
    Yaaaaay this topic again!
  • Options
    Sorry, I was grabbing a quote from this thread and accidentally posted a response here instead of the other thread I needed the quote for.
    Accidentally necroed this thread, so...
    Of course, I summoned nagash.